Author Topic: Stopping breastfeeding and switching to Neocate  (Read 9462 times)

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Stopping breastfeeding and switching to Neocate
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:47:11 am »
It has come to the point where I am having to consider switching to Neocate. I have breastfed my LO for 6.5 months. He has had problems with reflux type symptoms since birth (much improved by a dairy/soy free diet), and mucus poo/cramping/crying for 4 months.

To enable me to continue breastfeeding I have now cut out: Dairy, Soy, Gluten, eggs, all meat exept lamb and turkey, fish, citrus, tomatoes, mustard, nuts, seeds... the list goes on, for nearly 5 weeks.Prior to this I only cut dairy and soy, which did improve things, but not completely. Basically I eat only from a list of the least allergic foods. I cook all my meals from scratch with absolutely no additives/processed food. Basically turkey, rice, vegetables and fruit, sunflower oil, olive oil.

We still have problems. Still mucus in every poo, and the last few days his poos have increaased again, they had settled to 1 a day, now up to 5 mucus poos a day. Crying has started again. I don't know what else to cut out.

I just want to hear from people who did switch from BF to Neocate - your stories, good or bad. Every time I think about stopping it brings me to tears, but I know I also need to do what's best for him. It all feels so unfair.

Thanks in advance, reading posts on this site had been such a help anyway so far.

A

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Stopping breastfeeding and switching to Neocate
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:03:35 am »
just sending you some hugs, wow you are an amazing Mum to go through all of that for your little bubba!   You breastfed for so long like that, my hat off to you!

I am bf'ing on a strict elimination diet but it is no way that restrictive.  I really understand how difficult it is.   Just to double check are you sure you've cut out all hidden dairy and soy? Also what about amines - chocolate, bananas are two that come to mind?  I have found problems with dark chocolate and others have also found so on this site.

If citrus is a problem is that die to acid or salicylates?  Because I think there are other high salicyalte foods out there that aren't necessarily citrusy.  Like grapes and avocado.

My sons is 12  weeks and poos are looking good, this is what I have had to cut out if it helps: -
tomato, chilli, spices, alcohol, caffeine
dairy and soy (but not all hiddden stuff)
gluten
windy foods: cabbage/onion family
Low chemical and additive where possible
no MSG or other glutamates

trialling citrus this week

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Stopping breastfeeding and switching to Neocate
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 13:15:48 pm »
Thanks for that, it makes such a differance just to be talking to someone who understands about this.

I have definately now cut all hidden dairy/soy (was definately eating hidden soy for the first few months eg hydrolysed vegetable protien in our boullion, veg oil, soy flour in bread). 

TBH I don't know if citrus/tomatoes/fish/nuts etc etc IS a problem. The only ones we know for SURE are dairy/soy/beef. I chose to go the complete allergen elimination route to try and give as good a baseline for introducing solids as I could, without using the Neocate. ie I would know there were pretty much definately nothing in my diet that could possibly be antagonising him.

Regards chocolate - I did cut this out also as he reacted when I treated myself to a dairy free chocolate slice when he was about 3 months old. None since then.

I really am only eating plain, fresh meat, veg and fruit and sunflower/olive oil, rice and millet.