Author Topic: Tips for effective pumping  (Read 1159 times)

Offline JenniG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2010, 14:47:19 pm »
Hello All,

I have 3 weddings to attend in the next month and I want to be sure I have enough stored BM so I am looking for tips. 

I used to feed exclusively from one side in the night feeds and then pump the other side in the morning getting 5+oz!  ;D!  HOWEVER, in the last week (since a very obvious GS) my DS does not seem to be getting enough milk in night feeds when I nurse from one side only (he wakes after 2 hours hungry again when usually he goes 3-4 hours between feeds).   :-[!

The other night I pumped both sides shortly after I put DS to bed and emptied myself....but he woke up soon after and was starving.   :'(

I am not sure the best route to go now to be sure I get enough pumped.  I did read to pump in the morning (which I am usually) and that it is better to pump often for less time than 1 long bout.  I am now trying to pump both sides for 5 mins during each nap (he naps 3-4 times a day) and it seems to be going OK (I can get about 2-3 oz).  Does anyone have any other tips for success?

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Tips for effective pumping
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:42:21 am »
Here's a link with some great tips for you!  It's an article called "I'm not pumping enough milk.  What can I do?"
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

hth :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
Re: Tips for effective pumping
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:47 am »
I haven't looked at the link but I would concur morning is better because my LO was a cluster feeder in the evenings and I needed all I could get.  The only other bit of advice I was going to mention was to relax.  I had a really hard time pumping with my first LO, with my 2nd I got all sorts of milk.  I would sit in front of the computer while pumping and next thing I knew I had milk in bottles and was done!  I really think it was mind over body, or body over mind, or something like that LOL.  Good luck!

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08