Author Topic: When did your carseat hater finally get over it?  (Read 9530 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
When did your carseat hater finally get over it?
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:34:21 am »
Not sure if this is the right place for please move if necessary!  :)

Well, I'm don't think F hates the carseat so much as he hates car rides, but either way it's making getting out a nightmare!  At first I thought it was the seat, but actually he's ok when I put him in, and is usually fine in there when I transfer it to the stroller or a shopping cart.  It just once we start driving he goes bonkers, screams until he's purple and hoarse.  :(  Sometimes he's not as bad, only crying part of the way or not too much, but most of the time it's a nightmare.  Very stressful!

Now, he hated baths and diaper changes initially and grew out of that, so I'm hoping hoping hoping he grows out of this too.  I can't imagine him doing this for months and months still!

Experiences?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: When did your carseat hater finally get over it?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:39:39 am »
oh, Spencer didn't like the carseat until she was big enough to turn around and watch the DVD player...sorry, not what you want to hear!!! But, she hated baths until 6 months and still hates diaper changes, so maybe there is hope!
Heidi

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:12:52 am »
uh...dd1 hated the carseat from day one.  hated it less when it turned around at 1 year but still had many many screaming sessions.  at about 20 mo it started to get better when i played her music and at 21 mo when the baby arrived and she was no longer alone in the back seat it got much better.  something there to keep her occupied.  the baby had some trouble with the carseat initially too but dd1 would sing her a song and pass her toys etc and she grew out of it about the same time she started sucking her thumb - around 3 mo.  now she sucks her thumb and is such a good traveller.  so i hope you get my dd2 version!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:36:54 pm »
Ah well, I can hope!   ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 16:51:53 pm »
I would consider car sickness at this age.  My DD hated the car seat as well.  But if your LO is fine in it at other times I would expect the motion is the problem.  Does he like the baby swing or other things that cause motion?
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 18:06:55 pm »
We don't have a swing.  He's mostly been fine in the stroller before (it's the kind that the carseat attaches too).  How do I know if it's car sickness?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 18:11:45 pm »
I have no idea.  It's just a thought that was a thought someone gave to me when I posted about my LO hating the car.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 18:17:53 pm »
Was your LO ever actually sick?  And when did she get over it?  DS1 started getting car sickness as a toddler, he was totally fine up until about 16mos or so, but has since then been sick a few times on long rides.  But like really sick, throwing up all over the place, so it is different.  I'm just wondering how it would be for little babies if that was the problem, and if there's anything I can do about it.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

tigerlilly905

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 18:50:12 pm »
Car sickness makes SO much sense!  My ds is touchy/txtbook, so I attributed him not liking car rides to that (I'm sure it can still play a factor)... but he always seems to throw up during car rides, whether he's worked up and crying or not... so maybe it is motion sickness.

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 19:09:23 pm »
My LO never threw up but she hated the baby swing and stroller as a baby so it makes sense to me.  I'm not sure how you would know or even what you could do about it.  sorry.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline MeAndVee

• Me & Vee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 03:02:27 am »

DS hated car rides too.  He was 13 or 14 months when we could actually go places without the screaming.  Singing loudly helped kinda.  And when we turned DS around at 12 months we would hand him stickers from the front.  Granted this won't work if you have a child that likes to eat things.  DS was never a mouthy baby so wasn't an issue.

Catherine - Sri - Vee

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]

Offline ss

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 07:17:53 am »
Martina - we had the same problem with DS from about 2weeks old. We found that if one of us rode in the back with him, he was alright. We had to do this for about 2 months and now he is happier in the back on his own. Obviously this doesn't work if you're alone...

We also noticed that he is much happier if the shade on the seat is back and he can see things - have you tried that? We also have one of those toy bars for a car seat which we sometimes put on for him to look at.

Hope some of that helps, sorry if you have already tried all of these.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 07:32:23 am »
Megan is a car seat screamer as well. It isn 't fun at all is it?

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 11:48:57 am »
Marina was a car sear hater for awhile too. I was so surprised because the other two used to just zonk out as soon as we started driving. I think her problem was separation anxiety. For the first few moths I carried her almost constantly in a wrap and I think she just did not like to be apart from me. She did much better when I sat in the back with her. It sounds like Finn's problem is a little different though because you mentioned he's fine as long as you're not driving, so I guess I can't reallyoffer much help- just sympathy. There was a short period where I refused to go anywhere without DH because the crying was that bad!
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 12:17:58 pm »
I think her problem was separation anxiety
I think we might have this too.  He's fine when he can see me, but freaks out because he thinks I am gone.  Talking to him doesn't work. 

Liz, Megan and F must be related somehow!  :P

Things are a teeny, tiny bit better.  He now lasts up to 5mins before the screaming starts.  It's so odd, I will watch him in the mirror and for a few minutes he just hangs out looking around, doesn't look upset at all.  But then it starts.  I do think he's improving slowly.  I figure I'll start taking him for walks more in the carseat/stroller so he starts to realize it's not a horrible place. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »
Liz, Megan and F must be related somehow!  :P

Oh the irony!!

Megan is prone to overheating and has a very cheap seat that I think is crushing her tummy. So I think it is that. But she screams in it even if it is just in the hall waiting to go in the car.

God knows how we are ever going to get anywhere. J always slept in the car seat as well.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 13:01:13 pm »
But she screams in it even if it is just in the hall waiting to go in the car.
This was F a few weeks ago.  He would scream as soon as I put him in.  Now he is better about that, will even smile at me as I'm buckling him in.  So I'm sure Megan will start getting a little better soon too.

I wonder if F overheats easily in the seat too.  I always noticed with T that he got really hot in it, but I guess T never cared!  I'm not sure what to do about it though.  We can't afford another seat!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 14:33:18 pm »
Around 7 mths I think, or maybe even later and only after we moved from the bucket seat to the convertible seat.  He's not a great fan of it now but since it's been forward facing he squawks about it less.  Still screams the car down if he's tired and can't figure out how to get to sleep.  And other days he crashes in the seat before we even get on the motorway.

He hated both car seat and stroller and any kind of carrier for the first 6 mths of life lol

Hugs ladies!
The tweaking never stops!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 15:42:58 pm »
F is getting better about it already.  Last weekend we had a 2+hr trip to make, and I was so dreading it, but there was no marathon screaming and he slept some of the way there.  On the way back I sat in the back with the kids (the dog got shotgun  :P) so I was there to comfort him a bit and he slept most of the way.  Then on Monday I had to drive 1+hr to the doctor and back again.  Not a peep from him all the way there, he just slept, and only a little fussing on the way home.  Progress!!  Now that we've moved we're right in town so any car rides we have to do will be less than 5mins, I think we can manage that!   ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 17:18:47 pm »
Glad to hear he's doing better! It's such a relief when you don't have to dread getting in the car anymore.
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 17:33:02 pm »
Leorah hated the carseat but being a sicky baby we didn't make the connection of carsickness until she was over a year, we switched her seat to the middle so she could look out of the windscreen window and got a dvd player and she was cured sometime around 18 months if I remember right ( she started being sick everytime we were in the car more than half an hour), all was well until we got a new carseat recently that we thought couldn't be placed in the middle and the sickness came back, every single journey of 40 mins or more  ::) We have put the seat in the middle again now as it could go there after all and no more sickness!! Definitely worth a try  ;)
Katt

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 17:38:05 pm »
Skatty that is a good idea!  Don't think we could do it with two carseats in the car though, it's pretty cramped (you should have seen me try to squeeze in between the two! :P).  My goodness, maybe we're entering minivan territory soon?  ;)

Was Leorah physcially sick as a baby, and that's how you knew?  F doesn't throw up, he just screams.  But I do wonder if it is the motion that sets him off because like I've said he doesn't mind the actual seat. 

That is interesting to know for DS1 though as he has been carsick twice, and both times during longer trips.

I do hope though that since we've seen some improvement that he will continue to get better.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 18:01:24 pm »
As a baby leorah spat up constantly until about 12 months so I never noticed if she was particularly car sick but in early toddlerhood she started being properly sick whenever we were in the car for a fair journey, once she was moved to the middle and hadn't been sick for a while her aversion to the carseat was much better, being spirited she still didn't/doesn't like being restrained but she feels much better. We were recommended moving her seat to the middle by someone and I have since read that it is something to do with being able to see the horizon which helps balance something in the ears. Actually now I think aout it, she was just about the only baby I have ever known not to sleep in the car (hardly ever!) so I reckon she probably was feeling sick.
Katt

tigerlilly905

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 18:40:28 pm »
Actually now I think aout it, she was just about the only baby I have ever known not to sleep in the car (hardly ever!) so I reckon she probably was feeling sick.

I know that feeling... people can't believe DS hates the car... and can't sleep in it... we have to try and schedule any trips during "A" times... expect him to sleep during his "S" in the car... forget it... he will if he absolutely HAS to, but it takes a LONG time for him to settle, and he never gets a restful sleep.  I don't blame him, I'd find it hard to sleep too if I were car sick.

We're trying the motion sickness wrist bands... but not sure if they're helping just yet...

My guy is touchy, so I think the motion really throws him off... and he usually throws up during each car trip... :( poor babes.

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 18:47:01 pm »
I always suspected the car seat caused Finn actual discomfort because of the way he cried - purple crying just like your F.  But then who knows?  It's hard to say.  If he had motion sickness I think he would still have it...and he doesn't seem to.  He only cries now when completely overtired but isn't happy about being in the seat.  It will be sooo nice when they can tell us what the issues are lol

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 19:30:18 pm »
I'm SO SO hoping Megan grows out of this. I dread dread dread any trips ATM. She goes mental - purple howling and always had beads of sweat all over her when we stop as she has got SO wound up.

Every now and again she doesn't do it though.

I wonder if it is OT related with no coping mechanism for the car seat? And discomfort from her silly amount of wind?

Not sure but really hoping there is an end to this one.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 20:55:06 pm »
I always suspected the car seat caused Finn actual discomfort because of the way he cried - purple crying just like your F.  But then who knows?  It's hard to say.  If he had motion sickness I think he would still have it...and he doesn't seem to.  He only cries now when completely overtired but isn't happy about being in the seat.  It will be sooo nice when they can tell us what the issues are lol

Actually, Wendy, this could have been the case. Especially since you say it got somewhat better after you switched to the convertible seat. Bucket seats are notorious for aggravating reflux...

OP - luckily both my kiddos like the carseat BUT my niece HATED it until almost a year...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JJshappymum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 20:50:16 pm »
Ds also HATED the carseat. I don't know if it was sickness but he would scream the entire time. DH put the carseat in the middle so he can see out the windscreen (just like pps said ) and he has been fine ever since. He actually likes car rides now and SOMETIMES falls asleep.
He also gets really annoyed when the light shines on his face or in his eyes. The carseat keeps him from being able to move away from it. Even though we had the window shades, some cracks would still let the light into his eyes. In the middle that is also less of an issue now.

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 20:57:21 pm »
Finn is 18 mths and still screamed last night for about 15 kms the finally fell asleep for the last 3 lol  I am seriously getting ready to buy a DVD player.  I've had it, I absolutely hate going more than 10 kms with him.  I was driving by myself on the motorway and had to keep blasting the music at him and singing at the top of my lungs.  He didn't like that either.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 21:51:46 pm »
Oh Wendy, that must be so frustrating!  I would buy the dvd player, just for some peace!

Funny that this thread was reopened today.  Just got home from a 1.5hr trip to see my dad (1.5hrs there and then back again) and F made it both ways without any crying!!!!   :D  There was a bit of fussing, but he mostly slept and when he wasn't asleep he was just hanging out.  He's already so much better!  Still don't think he cares much for it, but he's dealing with it which is great.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 00:27:56 am »
Megan is improving as well - needs to be well fed and wind free and in her A time. She just CNs and dozes on and off - but that is better than the screaming. She is 4 mths now.

Wendy - just get it and see - I would do anything at that age to get me through journeys. Poor you, that must be really tough.

I use a portable DVD to bring shhh to other situations as well. Sometimes very necessary with these shreaking toddlers.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 00:42:44 am »
I use a portable DVD to bring shhh to other situations as well. Sometimes very necessary with these shreaking toddlers.

We have a built in one in the van, but I bought a portable one at Walmart for a recent hospital stay and it was a godsend!  It comes with straps to attach to a headrest in a car, and will be well used as our car doesn't have one.  (but right now we have it hooked up to our 2nd TV as our old DVD player died)
Heidi