Author Topic: Is Blood in Stool Always Milk Allergy?  (Read 23382 times)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:09:51 am »
DS (7 weeks) has had blood off and on in his stools for a few weeks now. Saw his pediatrician two weeks ago and he thought it was perhaps just an anal fissure and to call if it hadn't stopped in a week. It had stopped and then is back... so will call in a.m., but am curious as to whether milk allergy always has other symptoms -- he is breastfed exclusively. No rash, no gas or fussiness beyond what seems normal (i.e., burps and is fine). Strong and steady weight gain. I'm wondering if it's some other allergy to something I eat less frequently since it is off and on -- some days poops are fine, others not. Wondering if anyone has experienced similar. It may just (eek) be milk allergy but have no experience with it nor anyone I know. Thanks!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Is Blood in Stool Always Milk Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:19:58 am »
Never dealt with this personally (ds has a milk allergy, but gets hives and the like, not digestive symptoms) but found this link for you with possible causes: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

If an anal fissure has been ruled out, the next most common cause does seem to be allergies, the most common of which is a milk or soy allergy/intolerance. :(  Have you tried cutting dairy and/or soy out of your diet?  Or keeping a food log with the instances of blood in his stool to see if there's another food that might be the culprit?

(((hugs))) It can be so hard trying to figure these things out :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:45:34 am »
Thank you for replying and for the link!  :)
I've not tried cutting dairy out, but have tried to cut back. Unfortunately (for me and him, if it is dairy), I eat a lot of it. The odd thing is there will be several days without any blood in the stool. Going to start eliminating it to see if it helps. Bummed that I have to go back to work in less than two weeks as all my frozen pumped milk will be useless.  :'(

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 14:42:51 pm »
Is it bright red blood?  Or darker?  Any mucous in the stool?

It usually points to a milk and/or soy intolerance/allergy.  But it's great that there are no other symptoms!

If it IS a milk or soy issue, the blood can come and go.  It isn't necessarily every time.  It takes about 2 weeks to get the protein out of your system, and then 2 weeks to get it out of your LOs/  However, if it is a milk allergy you should seem some improvement pretty within the first few days.

7 weeks is young so they wouldn't be able to do any allergy testing right now, would just be based on your eliminating/adding food. 

If you do decide to take out dairy you can either go w/just obvious dairy (milk/cheese/cream, etc). and keep hidden dairy (whey, casseins) and see how it goes.  Usually taking everything out at once is the easiest/fastest, but it's up to you as it's a pretty big adjustment.

(((hugs))))  I had to dump massive amounts of milk and it was really hard.  Do you plan to supplement with formula while at work?  If so and LO has a milk allergy be sure to get a hypoallergenic one like Nutramigen or Alimentum.

Hang in there!!   :-*

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:47:35 am »
Thanks for the reply and info! Pediatrician wants to see how things are at his next checkup -- next week. Yesterday, no blood in stools and the stools also seemed less runny. Odd.

My goal is to make it to six months just pumping at work and breastfeeding when at home and using no formula... fingers crossed as while there is a lactation/pumping room at work, it only has two spots to pump and there are a ton of other breastfeeding moms, so I foresee getting in there when time at work permits to be tricky. :-[

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:55:43 am »
Glad that he seems to be doing better! :D I would still get his stool checked just in case, as blood can be microscopic and invisible to the naked eye, but hopefully it was just a fissure that has healed!

And good luck with the pumping at work! That sounds like quite the facility to have a pumping room :) I just closed the door to my office and hoped people would knock :P I hope things go well for you!!

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 16:51:11 pm »
Well, the blood is back. :-[ Off and on still, but has not disappeared. It is a bright red. Not really any mucus to speak of, guess we'll see what pediatrician says. Have been trying to reduce milk products, wondering now if maybe it is wheat related as I eat a lot of that, too.

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 17:45:01 pm »
:(

Have you had your ped appointment yet?  Or are you still waiting for it?  You may want to bring in a stool sample to show him (a dirty diaper) so that he can see/run tests rather than you just telling him what you saw.

If it is a milk allergy or milk protein intolerance, you really have to completely eliminate it from his/your diet.  Reducing milk products often isn't enough, as many babies with MPI react to even trace/hidden amounts.  After cutting out all dairy, it can still take 2 weeks to show improvement, as it can take that long for the protein to clear your systems.  Some moms do start by only eliminating obvious dairy (milk, cheese, butter, yogourt, etc.) and leave hidden dairy in their diets, eliminating it later if symptoms didn't improve.  I found it easier to just eliminate everything (and there's a list of ingredients to avoid here: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=135427.0) so that I could know for sure and get it over with quickly.  Then after a few weeks I reintroduced hidden dairy to see if ds could tolerate it.  Does that make sense?

(((hugs))) and hoping you get some answers quickly :-* :-*

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 19:39:52 pm »
The appointment is this coming Friday. Thanks for the reminder on the dirty diaper -- I did take two last time, which is when he thought it a fissure as opposed to allergy. Guess I just need to mentally prepare for it being allergy. So sad about all that frozen milk, and hope that I can pump enough to keep up. :'( I was trying to be prepared!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 23:26:40 pm »
(((hugs)))  I know it is SO disheartening to have to dump all the frozen milk.    :'(  I had to do it, and I had TONS of it.  It was so much work accumulating it.  I actually couldn't even do the last batch for months and months, it was too hard. 

Good luck at the dr's appointment.  Getting ANY type of news as to what is going on will be positive, because then you can put a plan in place and move forward without so much guessing. 

Sending ~~~~vibes~~~~~ for a good appointment.

:-*

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 03:24:01 am »
I'm dealing with food intolerances too so hugs!

Just a thought about dumping the milk - do you think you'd be able to donate it? I've had blood tests to determine that I'm clear of diseases that can be passed on through bm and have donated pumped milk a few times to a prem baby. My mw asked me whether I'd be happy to be a milk donor while still pregnant and I did the extra blood tests at the same time as I was getting the standard ones done anyway. When DS was about 8 weeks old she rang and said she had a 33 week gestation baby who needed pumped milk and anything I could give would be appreciated. I don't have a lot of time or patience for pumping but I've done it a few times. At least another baby would get the benefit which might make it slightly less heartbreaking!
Jenny - mama to

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 21:05:20 pm »
Thanks for the support! I'm just hoping the appt brings some answers. Little guy is happy and gaining weight, getting chubby, so at least we have that going for us. :)

I have thought that if it comes to that, I will look into donating the milk that is frozen. I'd feel better knowing it was going to good use than dumping it.  :(

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 18:23:07 pm »
My DS is also Milk/Soy Protein Intolerant...fully understand what you are going through!  {{HUGS}}  Yes, blood comes and goes and the only way to help is to eliminate all dairy (even trace amounts) for a start.  An anal fissure can usually be seen by the doc upon visual examination. 

I just want to caution you about the doc.  I ended up going to several before one took me seriously that something was not right with my baby.  I even had some digital pics on my camera of the blood in his stool to show them and still I kept getting "well, he's gaining weight nicely, looks healthy, let's just wait x amount of time and see if it goes away".  ANY blood in stool is NOT normal!  YOU know your baby the best and if you feel something is wrong, then trust your mother's sixth sense about these things and don't give up until you find someone who takes you seriously.  I also happen to work in the health care profession and got so fed up with the run-around (ie uninformed people), I ended up taking matters into my own hands by driving my son to a very good children's hospital hours away in order to get a proper diagnosis!  Thank goodness I did as DS is a completely different baby now that we know what the real problem is and what to do about it.  :)

Good idea about the milk donation!!! 

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:36:20 am »
Thank you all for the support! Appt is tomorrow...
I cut out obvious dairy (knowing I should cut out trace but not having time to shop for food!) three days ago and the blood seems far reduced. Is an improvement possible that fast?

So I went back to work today and the little man drank almost 11 oz when I was gone. I barely pumped that much. :-( What do I do from a practical standpoint w/pumping? I guess he may have to have milk that is a day or two old at some points because I really do not want him to have formula, milk-free or not. Does that just slow the time it takes to get results? I can't think of any other way to feed him when I am gone without using at least some of the milk I already have!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 02:13:20 am »
(((hugs))) and good luck with the appointment tomorrow.  I will definitely be watching for your update!

When I did a dairy free trial for ds' eczema I was told that it can take up to 2 weeks to get the protein completely out of your system.  Having said that, some moms notice improvement much more quickly, so it's certainly possible!

As far as the pumping...  What I'm going to say is going to sound odd coming from a breastfeeding moderator, but is there a reason that you don't want him to have any formula?  I completely understand wanting to ebf - we were ebf for milk until I introduced soy milk around 16mo when my pumping output dropped drastically - BUT if the dairy proteins in your previously stored milk are causing intestinal damage, surely *some* hypoallergenic formula would be a better option?

To put it into perspective, if your little guy got hives or swelling every time he drank your stored milk you wouldn't even consider continuing to feed it to him.  The intestinal damage caused by MPI can be just as harmful, you just don't see it immediately.  In your position, I truly would consider buying even a small tin of hypoallergenic formula.  You could mix it with your breastmilk, just an oz or two (or however much you would need) per bottle feed, until you can build up your storage again.  My hat's off to you for doing everything you can to ebf even with returning to work - this is just a little speed bump :-* :-*

And I wouldn't dump or donate your stash just yet - see the doctor, get some tests, and wait for the results.  You never know.

More (((hugs))) xxxx Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 15:18:13 pm »
Well... the short story is we are being referred to a pediatric gastrointologist (sp?). Usually takes about 2 months to get in... but they normally review the case when they get it and bump you up if they think it warrants it. What kind of tests can they do, do you know? It seems like it's more a matter of my eliminating foods...

Doctor isn't convinced it is an allergy, since DS has absolutely no other symptoms that usually present in addition to the blood, is thriving, no rash, no fussiness, etc. Is supportive of my trying milk product elimination to see if it helps. We do have Crohn's and celiac sprue (only one case of the latter, seems to have been later years onset, my aunt was diagnosed in her 70s) in the family, but again, no other symptoms. Dr. went to his office review all the other causes while I was there and didn't come up w/anything that really fit, so is thinking it may still be a fissure. Is going to talk to his colleagues as well.

As for the staying away from formula -- two reasons, one the recommendations and research supporting EBF until at least six mos, two, am afraid it will become too easy and impact my milk supply. I was thinking more of using the prior day or two's milk than the really big freezer stash. Hmm. Confusing, it all is... : :-\

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 02:24:21 am »
TBH, I don't know what tests a pediatric gastroenterologist would do :-\  (Dylan's food problems are all allergies, so we saw an allergist and had scratch and blood tests)  I know that many moms with reflux/MPI/MSPI babies have seen them, so it would be worth a post on the http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=13.0 board.  The moms there will be able to give you a fantastic idea as to what tests are generally performed and what the doctor will likely do!

As for the staying away from formula -- two reasons, one the recommendations and research supporting EBF until at least six mos, two, am afraid it will become too easy and impact my milk supply.
I completely understand.  You're right, the WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6mo old as the best food for infants.  And if your doctor isn't convinced that it's an allergy/intolerance then the decision to supplement with a hypoallergenic formula is a very difficult one.  I guess my concern really is that it can take up to 2 weeks of a complete elimination diet to get all of the milk proteins out of his system - if you are giving him ebm from days ago that still has milk protein in it, you can't really start counting the time, kwim?  If it IS a milk allergy or intolerance, you won't be able to tell if the elimination diet is working because he's still getting the milk proteins in some feeds. 

I wonder if you could use some of your freezer stash for a few days, while you're on the elimination diet, until you can build up some of the milk-protein-free (MPF) milk for feeds.  Once you have enough MPF milk stored you could officially start feeding him only that milk, and give it the two weeks to see if it makes a difference in his stool.  I don't know if that makes sense?  Your other option is to wait for the ped gastro appointment, but if that's in a couple of months you may not want to wait that long :(

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 19:26:09 pm »
He's now scheduled to see the ped GI doctor July 28... so not as bad as two months but still a long time away! Have been able to (knock wood) keep up with his daily feeding with pumping so far, have had to go only to the freezer stash once or twice early on, and were able to grab days when at least I wasn't consuming dairy. Yesterday, we didn't see any blood spots until the evening. So strange how it comes and goes. I have not cut out hidden dairy completely (although I'm trying to start that process)... so I know it may not be a totally accurate test. Sigh.

I think our biggest fear is this is something other than a fissure or milk protein allergy. No other symptoms, he seems totally normal, and I can't come up with much of anything online, but it is just hard to wait. :-(

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 22:56:43 pm »
(((hugs))) It is SO hard to wait and figure out what's wrong. At least the 28th is only 3 weeks away - it seems like forever I know, but like you said it's better than months!

TBH, if it IS MPI, and if you've not cut hidden dairy, it's not THAT strange to me that the blood comes and goes :-\ It probably comes after you've consumed something with trace/hidden dairy, kwim? Cutting all dairy can seem so daunting (I know, I've been there!) but you won't really know for sure until you do. Cutting obvious dairy is a great start, and for some los it's enough, but some are more sensitive and react to the tiniest bit. 

Dropping off more (((hugs))) and hoping that your appointment gives you some answers! I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple to treat too! :-* :-* :-*

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 02:10:10 am »
Well, it is still "coming and going." I think it's lesser amounts than it was... and have printed off the KellyMom list of hidden dairy and have been watching things carefully dietwise the last few days. Knock wood, the pumping is going well this time around so I've been able to keep up and not have to go into the freezer stash.

It IS hard to wait. Part of me keeps wondering if it is something else, like oversupply, my hope is of course it isn't something worse. :(

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:32:23 am »
I'm so glad that pumping is going so well for you! I'm glad you found a list of hidden dairy ingredients. There's a bw one too (http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=135427.0) if you want to compare and make sure all of your bases are covered :) Sounds like you're doing really well!

Although I've read that oversupply can mimic some reflux symptoms, I haven't heard of it causing blood in stool... I could be wrong, but I haven't come across that. I will be thinking of you and hoping that it's something simple/treatable/non-worrisome/etc. :-* :-* :-* (((hugs)))

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 01:09:05 am »
When we saw the Ped Gastro doc, we had already seen a couple docs who had ordered abdominal x-rays and an abdominal ultrasound.  Also had blood drawn and a stool sample sent off for analysis.  We saw an Allergist who did a skin prick test for allergies prior as well.  The only test that showed anything was, of course, the stool sample which was positive for blood and mucous.   MPI is generally diagnosed through process of elimination and a thorough history of the current problem as well as family history (how about anyone with allergies - food, environmental?  Eczema?  Asthma?).  Might be worth your while to think back to when you first saw blood in his stool and keep a little running log.  Also may be a good idea to let doc know that you have seen improvement since you cut out most dairy. 
Good luck!  Hang in there!!!!

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 02:11:04 am »
Thanks to both of you! I am seeing improvement, a bit of blood today, but I found out last night by checking godairyfree.org that the chicken burrito I so carefully picked because it wouldn't possibly have milk... has milk... argh. At least DH found that site and now I can check most everything! Am going to start a food log and of course I'd noted the blood on his EASY logs... it started Memorial Day weekend here. I ate a LOT of dairy the first month.  :( It was the easiest thing to grab cheese or yogurt, etc...

We mostly have environmental allergies (pollens, etc.) in the family. No food ones other than my brother gets a rash around his mouth from pineapple.

However,there's an interesting bit --my mother's sister told her that she (my mother) was fed goat's milk as a baby because with cow's milk she would scream and cry and cry. (I am not sure if this was after she was an infant or if my g'mother didn't breastfeed... my mother was the youngest, born about the time formula became more common so I suspect they tried it w/her but no way to know for sure). Mom has no issues with dairy now, but it does make me wonder if there's a link.

DS has not had any tests yet,I suppose they will order those at the visit if they thing needed. They didn't ask us to bring a stool sample, which I thought odd.

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 02:27:19 am »
We mostly have environmental allergies (pollens, etc.) in the family. No food ones other than my brother gets a rash around his mouth from pineapple.
FWIW, neither my DH or myself are allergic to any foods.  The only person on either side of our families with food allergies is my sister, who is allergic to tree nuts.  Children don't inherit specific allergies, but rather they inherit the tendency to be allergic. Dylan's allergist explained that even though dh and I don't have any food allergies, our environmental allergies made it more likely that Dylan would be allergic to *something*.  Sorry if you already knew that, but I found it really helpful when the allergist explained it to us!  Interesting about your mom too!  If she did have MPI and grew out of it, maybe that bodes well for you guys too :)

And I am with you on the frustration on finding milk ingredients in items that you would never even think!  Like deli meat!  (When I was doing my dairy elimination I had a ham sandwich on bread that I had made myself, sure that it was safe, and then dh read the ingredients on the ham and there was casein in it.  WTH? >:()  To this day it makes me crazy when I'm reading ingredients at the store.

I think it's odd too that they didn't ask for a stool sample.  Especially since blood in the stool is the most obvious problem?  TBH, I would probably bring a stool sample in anyway.  You could just put a dirty diaper into a ziploc bag and bring it with you - if for some reason they don't want it you can just throw it out at the office.  I bet the 28th can't come fast enough for you!

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 17:45:41 pm »
With some luck your DS might produce a nice sample on the day of your appt!   ;)  Since he has no other symptoms, I would think then that the minimum they would do test wise would be to draw blood to make sure he isn't losing enough to cause anemia. 
Keep us posted!

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 13:12:55 pm »
Thank you both! I will definitely plan on taking a diaper of the dirty sort with us... and maybe he will even produce a fresh one while there. :)

The blood has persisted, but the last two bowel movements were clear of anything visible... so maybe that's progress? Have been dairy-free of even trace amounts since last Saturday's hidden dairy debacle. Am still a bit concerned it might be wheat as well... since that's what I've replaced some of the dairy with -- do you know how long wheat takes to clear the system?

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 16:41:43 pm »
I would say progress for sure!! ;D

I don't know how long wheat specifically takes to get out of your system, but 2 weeks of elimination is generally the advice.  Then if no improvement is noted you reintroduce it - sometimes moms don't realize the elimination is working until they do the reintroduction and symptoms worsen.

Have you considered soy? I ask because many babies and children wil MPI are also intolerant to soy. There is lots of information on the board on MSPI if you wanted to have a look.

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 01:20:54 am »
One step forward, one back it seems... had several without blood then it is back again later today for the last three movemens.  :( Just want to cry... I am starving all the time, no time to cook and now wondering what I am eating that is causing this... assuming still it is my diet. (Even worse to think that it might be Crohns, although that doesn't seem to appear until late childhood per my reading up on it... and it would likely have other symptoms, like not thriving.) Wondering about a hamburger roll I had at the work cafeteria with a grilled chicken sandwich... might have had milk in it I guess... or maybe it is soy as well. Argh! Feeling like I am grasping at straws.

Thanks for listening to my worries! :-[

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 02:06:42 am »
Big, big (((hugs)))

Elimination diets can be so frustrating :-\  Especially since everything seems to have hidden ingredients - it's so hard to know what you're eating, especially when out, and what might be bothering your lo.  Are you keeping a food journal?  Might be the only thing that will help you pin some of this down.

Re: always starving, try to keep fresh fruit and veggies around.  That was what kept me from starving when I was doing my dairy elimination.  Just remember that the closer the food is to nature, the safer it is.  There's no milk or soy or gluten in fresh fruits, veggies, rice, fresh meat, etc.  It is hard when you have no time to cook, but if you have "grab and go" (apples, bananas, grapes, peeled/washed baby carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, etc.) you have something to eat on the fly when you're hungry. Italian and Catalina salad dressing tend to be dairy free (though not sure about soy, tbh, as I never had to eliminate that) for salads or dipping veggies.  Remember that you have to be eating enough (and resting enough!) to keep your supply up :-* :-*

Another "survival" thing for me was making big roasts, even though it was only DH and myself.  Pork roasts, roast beef, entire chickens (or 4-6 breasts) - if I was taking the time to cook something for supper, I made enough for that night plus leftovers for at least one other meal, sometimes two.  Fortified instant rice helped too - it wasn't really any work, and it had flavour when I made it with broth instead of water (you'd have to check for soy in commercial broths though!).  One night would be pork roast w/ potatoes and carrots (a bit more work), the next night would be leftover roast w/ instant rice and corn (almost no work).  It's definitely not easy, but we got into a bit of a routine and it helped so much.

It might be worth starting a new thread?  Maybe about the difficulties you're having with the elimination and finding what foods are the triggers.  I know lots of moms on the boards have had to do eliminations, and you're sure to get other great advice and tips to help you and your wee man.

Dropping off loads more (((hugs))) for you both. xxxx

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 15:27:42 pm »
Thank you for the hugs and suggestions for food! Have a roast in the crockpot today. :) Also trying to keep enough fruits around... it does help.

Thinking now that we are a week away from the appt. that I am just going to keep off the dairy and see what they say next week... rather than taking more shots in the dark. It seems there is some improvement... maybe wishful thinking/maybe not. We had DS at regular ped. on Monday as he was crying like mad for the sitter and DH. Dr. thought roseola/we also think now maybe he just wanted mom or dad and not sitter as it happened for her the next day (better yesterday). Anyway, he has gained 14 oz. since his last appt... so in two weeks, which was good news! Dr. really thinks it is a fissure but says that the ped. gastro is very thorough so that gives me peace of mind that we may get some good advice next week. Just hoping it won't involve stopping BF'ing.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 15:47:38 pm »
Anyway, he has gained 14 oz. since his last appt... so in two weeks, which was good news! Dr. really thinks it is a fissure but says that the ped. gastro is very thorough so that gives me peace of mind that we may get some good advice next week. Just hoping it won't involve stopping BF'ing.

Yay on the weight gain, great news!!

Stopping BF'ing shouldn't even be mentioned at this point w/the GI dr, it would be a last last last resort.   :-* :-*

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 20:56:28 pm »
Sending you lots of {{hugs}}!!  It is extremely difficult to be on an elimination diet as PP mentioned. 
I agree to stick with no dairy for the time being and see what the doc says at next week's appt. 
You were probably correct when suspecting the hamburger roll you ate, most breads have some form of dairy.  Try your best to bring food from home then you know for sure they are safe.  I employ the same strategy as PP of cooking large batches and eating left-overs for lunches, etc.  Makes things so much easier!  :)
If it is MPI, the best management if for you to cut out the dairy and continue to breastfeed...at least that's what our Ped GI doc told us and what we have decided to do. 
Please let us know how you get on next week!  Hang in there!  :)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 02:04:51 am »
scarlett's mom-- I am keeping fingers crossed they won't even mention stopping BF'ing. Only a bit nervous as there was a mother posting on the babycenter.com forum for DS's birth month that her ped. had asked her to stop. Very sad because she can't really afford the hypoallergenic formula and by the time she had posted, no more milk left... at any rate, the place I am going is affliliated with the hospital in the area that has a breast milk donor bank so am thinking they will be more reasonable than that ped!

chars mum, it is looking like MPI unless something else physical has healed up. Most bowel movements for the last few days have had no visible blood at all (a big improvement) -- just two or three w/a spec or two that one really has to be looking for it to find. I know it could still be hidden but compared to what we were seeing, much better! If that is it, glad it seems to be just MPI and not MPSI and gluten... yet sad still that DS may be facing MPI long-term.  :(

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 02:28:31 am »
Your appointment was today, right?  How did it go?  Was thinking of you! :-*

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 17:24:33 pm »
It went well, I think. They ruled out anything other than... a food intolerance. Think it is most likely just milk protein, referred me to a dietitian (who hasn't called yet, so I don't know how helpful that will be) to help w/my diet. Supportive of the continued breastfeeding as long as I'm willing to keep up the diet, so that is good. They did have us go for bloodtests to be sure there isn't anemia, etc., which was very traumatic for both of us, probably more for me than for him! It took forever for them to find a vein on the poor little guy and he was already OT. So lots of tears. :(

We go back in three months for a checkup. Given the Crohns and celiac in the family, glad they didn't see anything to make them suspect either. So, a bit anti-climatic, but as my DH reminded me, that is a good thing with these appts!

Thank you so much for asking!!!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 19:26:26 pm »
I was going to say the same that your DH said - better to have an un-exciting doctor's appointment!  I'm glad that they ruled out anything but *just* a food intolerance, and also so pleased that the doc was supportive of your continuing to breastfeed :)  The dietitian will definitely be helpful in designing a good food plan for you and hopefully that will make your life a bit easier!

And (((hugs))) for the blood tests - I remember how awful Dylan's scratch and blood tests were for his allergies.  It broke my heart! :'( :'(

I hope that this is the beginning of an upswing for you both :-*

Offline residencename

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:55 am »
I have cut out all milk or soy products, it was difficult at first it just requires a lot of planning on my part I have been eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and grilled chicken and rice. I had the same problem although I wasn't breastfeeding her and she outgrew it by 8 mos I am hoping the same goes for Jordan.  Thanks again.

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 00:19:26 am »
hi hun! right now DD and i are on dairy,soy,corn,fish,shellfish,wheat,gluten,beef,nuts,and seed free diet. we had eggs in there too but reintroduced them and did not have a reaction. it has been a long and rough road but it's worth it to me to keep BFing...
Kami

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 01:57:37 am »
I really admire you ladies who have cut out so many food types! You are doing something wonderful for your little ones!  :)

We seem to be having good luck with staying absolutely free of dairy here. Diapers seem to be almost completely free of any blood (an enormous improvement from almost every diaper to a spec every few days) and it's been just over three weeks since my last accidental dairy intake. Have seen a trace of blood once or twice, so if that doesn't go away, will cut soy next. (Dietian still has not called, going to have to nag again on Monday... but am managing to find a relatively decent diet without her so not too worried.)

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:06 am »
Yay!!! That's a fantastic update! ;D ;D ;D

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »
awesome!!!!
Kami