Author Topic: Is Blood in Stool Always Milk Allergy?  (Read 23321 times)

scarlettsmom

Re: Is Blood in Stool Always Milk Allergy?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 15:47:38 pm »
Anyway, he has gained 14 oz. since his last appt... so in two weeks, which was good news! Dr. really thinks it is a fissure but says that the ped. gastro is very thorough so that gives me peace of mind that we may get some good advice next week. Just hoping it won't involve stopping BF'ing.

Yay on the weight gain, great news!!

Stopping BF'ing shouldn't even be mentioned at this point w/the GI dr, it would be a last last last resort.   :-* :-*

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 20:56:28 pm »
Sending you lots of {{hugs}}!!  It is extremely difficult to be on an elimination diet as PP mentioned. 
I agree to stick with no dairy for the time being and see what the doc says at next week's appt. 
You were probably correct when suspecting the hamburger roll you ate, most breads have some form of dairy.  Try your best to bring food from home then you know for sure they are safe.  I employ the same strategy as PP of cooking large batches and eating left-overs for lunches, etc.  Makes things so much easier!  :)
If it is MPI, the best management if for you to cut out the dairy and continue to breastfeed...at least that's what our Ped GI doc told us and what we have decided to do. 
Please let us know how you get on next week!  Hang in there!  :)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 02:04:51 am »
scarlett's mom-- I am keeping fingers crossed they won't even mention stopping BF'ing. Only a bit nervous as there was a mother posting on the babycenter.com forum for DS's birth month that her ped. had asked her to stop. Very sad because she can't really afford the hypoallergenic formula and by the time she had posted, no more milk left... at any rate, the place I am going is affliliated with the hospital in the area that has a breast milk donor bank so am thinking they will be more reasonable than that ped!

chars mum, it is looking like MPI unless something else physical has healed up. Most bowel movements for the last few days have had no visible blood at all (a big improvement) -- just two or three w/a spec or two that one really has to be looking for it to find. I know it could still be hidden but compared to what we were seeing, much better! If that is it, glad it seems to be just MPI and not MPSI and gluten... yet sad still that DS may be facing MPI long-term.  :(

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 02:28:31 am »
Your appointment was today, right?  How did it go?  Was thinking of you! :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 17:24:33 pm »
It went well, I think. They ruled out anything other than... a food intolerance. Think it is most likely just milk protein, referred me to a dietitian (who hasn't called yet, so I don't know how helpful that will be) to help w/my diet. Supportive of the continued breastfeeding as long as I'm willing to keep up the diet, so that is good. They did have us go for bloodtests to be sure there isn't anemia, etc., which was very traumatic for both of us, probably more for me than for him! It took forever for them to find a vein on the poor little guy and he was already OT. So lots of tears. :(

We go back in three months for a checkup. Given the Crohns and celiac in the family, glad they didn't see anything to make them suspect either. So, a bit anti-climatic, but as my DH reminded me, that is a good thing with these appts!

Thank you so much for asking!!!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 19:26:26 pm »
I was going to say the same that your DH said - better to have an un-exciting doctor's appointment!  I'm glad that they ruled out anything but *just* a food intolerance, and also so pleased that the doc was supportive of your continuing to breastfeed :)  The dietitian will definitely be helpful in designing a good food plan for you and hopefully that will make your life a bit easier!

And (((hugs))) for the blood tests - I remember how awful Dylan's scratch and blood tests were for his allergies.  It broke my heart! :'( :'(

I hope that this is the beginning of an upswing for you both :-*

Offline residencename

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:55 am »
I have cut out all milk or soy products, it was difficult at first it just requires a lot of planning on my part I have been eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and grilled chicken and rice. I had the same problem although I wasn't breastfeeding her and she outgrew it by 8 mos I am hoping the same goes for Jordan.  Thanks again.

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 00:19:26 am »
hi hun! right now DD and i are on dairy,soy,corn,fish,shellfish,wheat,gluten,beef,nuts,and seed free diet. we had eggs in there too but reintroduced them and did not have a reaction. it has been a long and rough road but it's worth it to me to keep BFing...
Kami

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 01:57:37 am »
I really admire you ladies who have cut out so many food types! You are doing something wonderful for your little ones!  :)

We seem to be having good luck with staying absolutely free of dairy here. Diapers seem to be almost completely free of any blood (an enormous improvement from almost every diaper to a spec every few days) and it's been just over three weeks since my last accidental dairy intake. Have seen a trace of blood once or twice, so if that doesn't go away, will cut soy next. (Dietian still has not called, going to have to nag again on Monday... but am managing to find a relatively decent diet without her so not too worried.)

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:06 am »
Yay!!! That's a fantastic update! ;D ;D ;D

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »
awesome!!!!
Kami