Author Topic: Article - Allergy Breakthrough on Baked Milk and Egg  (Read 1737 times)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Article - Allergy Breakthrough on Baked Milk and Egg
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:58:02 am »
Just read this article online in Allergic Living Magazine:  http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=384

A very interesting read!  I'm actually feeling a little hopeful that Dylan might be one of the 75% that could handle baked egg.  Before we discovered his egg allergy, he had processed food (for example, the jarred toddler food with pasta) that had dried egg white or the like in the ingredient list without problem.  That was why the egg allergy actually came as such a surprise!  We've allowed him to continue eating the foods that he had already eaten without problem, but haven't introduced any others.  I'm going to bed tonight dreaming about him being able to eat milk and egg products that have been sufficiently heated.

Dylan's follow up appointment with the allergist isn't until he is 3 so we will keep going as we have been.  But this article has given me some hope that things might get easier.  :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Article - Allergy Breakthrough on Baked Milk and Egg
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:01:24 am »
We did try baked in egg with Spencer at home (1 egg in 25 cookies...she had 1/4 of a cookie) as per our allergist, she didn't get hives, just turned red all over...we are doing an in office challenge as soon as I remember to make an appointment because he wants to see the reaction himself. I really truly feel that her egg allergy will be outgrown someday, not sure why...
Heidi

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:37:13 am »
This was DS's issue - baked egg in baby jars was fine but whole cooked egg gave the reaction - he passed an egg challenge just after he was 2 with flying colours. It does still make me nervous when he does have egg - he won't eat it as a rule but did have quiche for the first time in daycare yesterday with no problem!

Laura

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:21 am »
Heidi - I wonder if you tried something that was baked for longer if you might have success? The crux of the article seems to be that it has to be baked at a min of 350F for a min of 30m. Most cookies are baked for a much shorter time, and maybe it wasn't enough to change the protein the way they describe? Maybe when you have your appointment with the allergist bring the cookie that gave her the initial reaction, but bring something that as been baked for longer (like a cake, or bread) and try it first just to see. I'm really intruigued by this concept, but of course have to wait over a year to try it ourselves!!!

Laura - that's fantastic! Hopefully Dylan will follow the same oath as your ds! ;D
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 13:04:32 pm »
Heidi - I wonder if you tried something that was baked for longer if you might have success?

Well, I did nearly burn those cookies  ::), but yes, I have thought the same thing. The only reason I did a challenge at home was because my sister was here with my nephew and his epi-pens and cookies were the only thing I had ingredients for! 
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 19:53:09 pm »
Good news!!  Have seen this with several of my friends' children.  Keep the faith Vikki!   :-*

(ps - Heidi - CUTE profile pic!  ;D )

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 21:53:14 pm »
(ps - Heidi - CUTE profile pic!  ;D )

Thanks...it was an awesome hair day!
Heidi

Offline pinkism

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • who needs milk anyway?!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 19:03:19 pm »
Sids doctor has said when he's 12 months we are to try egg but it must be baked in a cake and he can have a tiny bit.