Author Topic: 14 month old refusing ALL naps + OT....HELP!  (Read 18033 times)

Offline Tao

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • DD 1 4/19/09 DD2 3/8/12
14 month old refusing ALL naps + OT....HELP!
« on: June 28, 2010, 16:25:19 pm »
Hello All,

I hope you don't mind my posting this again in hopes to get some new eyes and new feedback. I'm going bonkers and no longer have a plan or solution. Thanks in advance for your help!

My DD is 14.5 months old. About 3 weeks ago I got off work for summer vacation and while my DH is usually with her during the day, I am now home with her and this is when it all started. I started putting her down for naps and she started refusing them, standing in the corner of her crib, screaming and crying. Since WIWO worked in the past, I started doing that but she would still just stand for an hour for each nap until I went in to get her only to try nap again later.

Before I got off work when things went smoothly:
5:30 Wake
9:40-1010 Nap
2:00-3:15 Nap
6:30 BT

Then, she got a virus and for the 4 days she was ill, she slept really well and her A times were very low.

6:00 Wake
9:30-10:00 Nap
1:30-2:50 Nap

Then, she became better and her A times went back up again and then p.m. nap refusal began leaving her with 30 minutes of nap for the entire day and earlier EWs. For the past week, this is what we've been working with:

4:45 Wake (She's been waking earlier and earlier each day. This morning she woke at 4:30 a.m.)
9:45-1015- I put her down at 8:45 because her usual A was 4 hours ,but she fought it for an hour until finally going down.)
1:50 - I tried putting her down because her A time before was 3 hours and 40 minutes but she stood and screamed on and off for an hour and twenty minutes until I went in to get her.
5:30 BT (went down right away)

The trend I"m seeing is this:
* I know she's probably OT as she's had several days of just a morning nap and no p.m. nap, followed by 11 hours or so of night sleep.
* It seems like at this point, it doesn't matter what time I put her down, she just stands up right away and screams. This morning, I put her down after 4 hours A time and 11 hours of night sleep and she started the first 10 minutes screaming on and off and now for the past 30 minutes she's quiet but just standing there. She will just stand there forever and NOT lay down.
* Lately it just seems like she won't sleep unless she's so tired she will just pass out at BT. She fights it and I"m really not sure why.

Any insight would be much appreciated. I'm so tired and I know she is too. My entire day consists of my sitting with the video monitor wondering why she won't sleep and my tears follow her tears..

Thanks!

Christine

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: 14 month old refusing ALL naps + OT....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 17:26:48 pm »
Hi there Christine,

I know she's probably OT as she's had several days of just a morning nap and no p.m. nap, followed by 11 hours or so of night sleep.

Actually if she's doing full nights it is possible she's not OT.  To me she sounds UT with a mix of SA from you being around.  Is DH still around while you are on holiday?  Has she always gone down for him ok?

It seems like at this point, it doesn't matter what time I put her down, she just stands up right away and screams. This morning, I put her down after 4 hours A time and 11 hours of night sleep and she started the first 10 minutes screaming on and off and now for the past 30 minutes she's quiet but just standing there. She will just stand there forever and NOT lay down.

Again from my standpoint it seems UT.

Lately it just seems like she won't sleep unless she's so tired she will just pass out at BT. She fights it and I"m really not sure why.

She's likely OT by the time bedtime rolls around so harder to settle.  It happens to most LOs.

Have you tried a 20 min AM nap yet?  You mention about her screaming for 1 hr 20 - what did you do then, WI/WO?  Really it's too long to try for a nap at this age.  If it isn't happening within about 20 mins I would say get her up and wait until her next cue.

I suspect she's had an A team leap on the other side of illness like you say.  Hugs, it's tough but you will both get there :-) 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Tao

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 19:25:00 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Thank you so much for jumping in to help! I'm desperate =). The UT suggestion sounds very likely to me. We ended up trashing her a.m. nap and I am going to try again in a little bit. DH thinks that when I get her up after after just 50 minutes of trying that it's sending her a message that she doesn't have to sleep. This is because she's screaming in the bed but the minute we take her out she's smiling and talking to us.  I just tried putting her down again for a nap and she's screaming again. I feel like I'm at my wit's end. Today:

445 Wake
845 Tried nap. No go. Picked her up at 1030. Was going to get her earlier but DH thought we should keep trying until she would fall asleep but I was pretty sure that she wasn't going to go down.
12:00 Tried putting her down again. I realize she's very OT at this point since she was up so early. She's standing and crying again. I know she was tired because she fell asleep on me during wd.

Lately it just seems like she won't sleep unless she's so tired she will just pass out at BT. She fights it and I"m really not sure why.

Also, I think I wrote the above quote incorrectly. I meant to say that she's so tired that she goes down right away for BT, no fights at all. It's just she fights her naps like crazy. Today's starting to look like a no nap day. I think we're going to have another nap fight right now.

Wendy, I tried a 20 minute nap yesterday but that was after she fought the nap for an hour and finally went down and she still refused p.m. nap after a 20 minute a.m. nap but she was probably so OT before p.m. nap. Also, when she doesn't nap, I do go in and do WIWO although I rarely have to go in because it's more of a scream, whine, stop repetition over and over again but she will not give up. She will just stand there and stand there for two hours if she has to.

* How do I fix it at this point? Does it sound SA to you are a routine issue?
* How much A time should I try tomorrow?
* I have this feeling that she's just in a pattern now. Almost as if she remembers, "okay when mommy puts me down, I usually stand up and cry and fight it." The reason why I say that is because in the past, she'll be in a good pattern and she will literally lay down, watch me leave and play with her bear for a few minutes until she sleeps. She KNOWS how to sleep. She's watched me leave before and been fine with it, but she's fighting it now.

What do I do now?
Christine

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 19:37:24 pm »
just popping over here to link Christine's earlier topics that are now locked so you can provide all your best advice in one place :)

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173832.15
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=172537.0

Offline Tao

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 00:20:05 am »
Update: no naps today. Refused all of them and now I put her down for BT. She usually konks out at BT because she's so tired by then but when I put her down she stood up instantly screaming and now she's doing the same thing again. Standing in the corner alternating between crying and whining. I'm wondering if I should just go in there and do GW. I have nothing left to lose at this point. I don't know how else to get her to sleep. She's on 0 sleep and doesn't even act tired, though I know she's 100% OT by now. This is unlike her. Usually she will just knock out from being so exhausted.
Christine

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 00:47:40 am »
Oh, no, Christine!  Lots of hugs!

She usually konks out at BT because she's so tired by then but when I put her down she stood up instantly screaming and now she's doing the same thing again. Standing in the corner alternating between crying and whining.

This is why I think the other times are OT as well, because it's the same behavior.  But, of course, my DD is always more on the OT side than the UT side, so that's where I tend to fall.

I think for the first nap I'd not do WIWO more than the traditional 45 min.  Then, you can set a longer time for the second nap if you want, but to do it for more than an hour each time is just no fun for anyone! 

I hope Wendy might have some more insight!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 13:18:40 pm »
Hi there Christine,

DH thinks that when I get her up after after just 50 minutes of trying that it's sending her a message that she doesn't have to sleep.

Well actually she's sending you guys the message, and she doesn't have to sleep really.  In the end, she controls whether she sleeps or not.  It's up to us to put them down at the right time (and this is key with some kids) and set the stage for appropriate sleeping conditions and to help teach them independent sleep skills if they don't have any.  At 14 mths, assuming she has been an independent sleeper with no props, she is now invoking her rights with gusto.  And if she's too UT to go to sleep, leaving her in there too long is not going to help.  Some kids can go to sleep UT because it's what they know, their body is set to an internal clock that says 'go to sleep now' at the same time every day - and it works for them.  They may not sleep the full nap duration but they can usually go off without issue, and it makes it easier to tweak their routine.  Spirited or Touchy kids ain't no way going to sleep if you put them down at the wrong time, they are just too sensitive to A times and they may respond better to a set routine - this helps set their clock which is normally all over the map.  Have you thought about set nap times at all?  We were never able to find the right A times for Finn - ever.  So during a lot of nap transitions we just used set napping to get us beyond the craziness.  Just throwing that out there :-)

Also, when she doesn't nap, I do go in and do WIWO although I rarely have to go in because it's more of a scream, whine, stop repetition over and over again but she will not give up. She will just stand there and stand there for two hours if she has to.

Yes been there done that.  Finn will just not sleep if the conditions aren't right - if he's too OT he needs help to go off (yes we still use shush/pat!) or if he's UT he will just babble and play himself into OTland.  And he has a lot of stamina, let's face it, they don't have anything better to do right?  Again, they are showing their ability to make their own choices now.  So we do have to get a bit tougher.  I wonder if you are intervening too much?  I have used GW very rarely because if we are in the room Finn tends to just chuck his crib toys out at us as if it's playtime.  But there have been times when he was off the wall OT that it helped.  I would alternate between shush/pat, telling him to lie down and go to sleep 'it's sleepy time' - in a very monotone voice, and just sitting in his chair singing Twinkle Twinkle over and over without acknowledging him.  WI/WO has not really done well for us because he is too Spirited.  We either have to help him with a bit of pseudo-APOP or we just leave him to it.  He doesn't need us - he just wants us so that makes the difference to how we handle it.

The trouble is they sense our emotions, and they are so clued in at 14 mths.  I recently read to take what you THINK they understand and double it, and that is probably what they actually understand as toddlers.  So if you are feeling stressed and whacked out about her sleep, she's going to mirror that back to you.  It's hard not to be stressed, believe me I know, but really as toddlers they can handle OT a lot better and they will make up for it either in a longer night or nap.  They become better at self-regulating. And it's easier to just scrap a day and move on to the next day.   

If I had to make a guess, I think it is a routine issue and that we need to figure out what her day sleep needs are, what her A time needs are and adjust her naps accordingly.  How was last night in the end?  What time did she wake today?

As for A times I would probably use:
3.5 hrs then a 20 min nap (because of the EW I would chose a longer morning A time)
~2.75 hrs then a longer nap - aiming for at least 1.5-2 hrs nap (watch her here, she may need to be in bed by 2.5 hrs or she may make it to 3 hrs)
No more than 4.5 hrs to bedtime until she's a bit more settled - this may take a week

So as example:
Awake 6
Nap 20 mins @ 9:30 - 9:50
Nap 1.5 hrs @ 12:30ish - 2
Bedtime asleep by 6:30

Just my 2c :-)

Offline Tao

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 14:00:09 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Thank you for sharing so much! I really appreciate it. Last night I put her down at 5 and she finally went down at 5:40 and slept until 5:30 a.m. this morning which is longer than she usually sleeps so you are so right about her making up her sleep when she needs it. Since she woke a bit later today rather than at 4:30, I feel like we have an opportunity to get back on track.

A few weeks ago what worked was:
1:45-3:00 Nap

* Do you think I should try for a bit more A today or should I ease back on the A a bit because she may still be OT from yesterday? She seemed fine this morning, as I was trying to figure out if she has made up on her sleep with a 12 hour night. If she's not OT anymore, I was going to try to go for more A time like 4.5 hours since she fought a.m. nap yesterday, but I'm not sure.

* If she fights her nap today, shall I just get her after 20 minutes? I agree that dragging it out to an hour and a half is not helping anyone and if she's made up her mind that she's not going to sleep, no amount of WIWO will help that.

* You are probably right about my helping her too much. Usually what happens when I put her down is that she starts to scream for a few wails. Then, it drops off into a loud scream, whine, whine, stop and it will literally go through this over and over again for however long I leave her in there. During this, it does sound like it starts out as UT because if she is really tired she will lay down and sleep but she has SO much stamina to just keep going. There have been times when DH will go in during a loud scream moment but it will only be for a few wails so it's as if she's waiting there for us to go in.

* A part of me was tempted today to try one nap. Don't know if that's a good idea or not but I was thinking, if she's truly ready for more A, what if I did:

10:00-12:00 Hopefully and wishful thinking
5:00 BT or CN if she wakes early from a.m. nap just because I'm so afraid of the p.m. nap refusal now that at least I get some morning sleep in.

Maybe I just need to keep trying different times until I get it right. I was trying to go off what A times worked for her before and then maybe add a bit to it?

Thanks again Wendy. I felt much better after reading your post. You are right, that if they don't nap they will eventually make up for it. I need to relax and know this is not the end of the world =).

Christine

Offline Tao

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 16:17:55 pm »
This a.m. I put her down after 3.5 hours and she even showed sleepy cues. She was a bit fussy and rubbed her eyes, so I started the WD process. At the end of WD, she lays her head on me calmly and I rock her for 3 minutes before I put her down. This is our routine and I think she even fell asleep on me during WD so I knew she was tired enough. The MINUTE I put her down, I usually lay her on her tummy, she wouldn't even let me lay her down, she popped right back up and is now standing and crying again. It's exactly the same as yesterday. It's now a stop start whine just like yesterday. Wail. Stop. Whine. Cry. Stop. Whine. and I'm sure she will keep doing this for the next hour if I let her but I think I will let her go for 30 minutes and then go get her. I'm not sure what to do after that though. Wait an hour and try again?

She seems SO upset I'm just not sure how to break out of this cycle.
Christine

Offline alohahellokitty

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • My Sweet Angels
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 17:59:53 pm »
bump (sent you a message)
Liana
Mommy to:
Anna-Li Charity 6/5/2008 Touchy/Spirited
Jace Michael 1/15/1010 Textbook/Angel

Offline Tao

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 18:21:50 pm »
Just put her down to try a nap again. Stood up once again screaming. This time we even gave her Tylenol hour before trying nap again to see if maybe it was teething...I think next stop is going to be GW. Not sure what else to try. She is very OT at this point. She always wants me to nurse her so she can lay on me and rest her eyes but she won't do it in her bed.
Christine

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 18:35:08 pm »
Christine, I'm in the same spot you are in right now.    I've been trying to find the right A for her morning nap and she fights me much that by the time she falls asleep its the only nap that I get out of her all day.    I'm at my wits end and no longer know what to do.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 18:48:45 pm »
I'm so hoping she falls asleep at some point today!!!  (((Hugs))), Christine!!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 18:53:10 pm »
Hmm is there a chance she's teething?  I don't think this was mentioned.

A few weeks ago what worked was:
1:45-3:00 Nap

Ok this is good then.  It shows that she's happy with a 4 hour morning A time.  So then did she start refusing that nap at some point, after the illness?  Then maybe she's ready for some 1 nap days.

Do you think I should try for a bit more A today or should I ease back on the A a bit because she may still be OT from yesterday? She seemed fine this morning, as I was trying to figure out if she has made up on her sleep with a 12 hour night. If she's not OT anymore, I was going to try to go for more A time like 4.5 hours since she fought a.m. nap yesterday, but I'm not sure.

Yes possibly.  You can certainly try it, it's all trial and error really.  If you think she's OT though you have to be careful.

She's probably getting OT now through all of this, although her nights are ok it's going to accumulate and so yes some day sleep will certainly help the matter.  Do you feel ready to go with GW?  I think there are a lot of people on the board who have some experience with this.

She IS going to be upset because her preference is to have mummy's company or to not sleep at all.  She's not going to get it until you mean business and stay consistent with what method you choose.

When we do changes with Finn we go radical.  Not because we want to...we would love to have that baby that you can tweak 10 mins here or there and have it make everything run tickety boo.  But we don't - we have a kid who won't give an inch unless we rock his whole world.  Sometimes that means pushing out his A times to the outer limits so we know he is tired and will give us a nap, but the important point is that we stick with it until he adjusts.  It takes time to shift these kids at this age.  There isn't likely to be a huge difference in 1 day or even 2.  You need to give yourself some time to let one of Tracy's methods do its magic :-)

Hang in there Christine, you are doing all you can, and trying to do the best for your LO.  

Offline alohahellokitty

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • My Sweet Angels
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 21:58:21 pm »
bump for help!!!! :)
Liana
Mommy to:
Anna-Li Charity 6/5/2008 Touchy/Spirited
Jace Michael 1/15/1010 Textbook/Angel