Author Topic: How do I know if I DS has an allergy?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline L76

• Thanks
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:27:32 am »
Hi

DS is nearly seven weeks. He's been on ranitidine (0.4ml 3x day) and domperidone (1.8ml 3x day) (based on 11lb 7oz weight) for a couple of weeks for suspected silent reflux. Symptoms wise, he's fussy when awake, cries a hell of a lot, very windy, lots of hiccups, doesn't like being laid down, cries when flat going to sleep, lots of back arching both when sitting and laying down.

He got into a BIG OT cycle which I managed to get him out of with swaddling and white noise and sheer perseverance 
He can do 2hr naps but often wakes either after 30mins or 1hr - still trying to work out his ideal A time and I think this (or wind) are causing the wakings. Sometimes I can extend the naps with white noise. At night, he takes a couple of hours to get to sleep but when he eventually goes, he can do 4-8hrs before the first wake up so does sleep well once asleep.

He feeds every 3hrs - unless naps really awful then because A time is so short, I feed earlier to enable me to stick to A time and not create an OT baby. He is bf at the morning, evening and nighttime feeds. All others are bottles. I used Tommee Tippee bottles until a few days ago when I started using Dr Browns to try and reduce wind. Sometimes 2-3oz but other feeds are about 4-5oz. Weight gain has been good - he was 8lbs at birth and now is about 11lb 7oz.

When we last saw the doctor she also gave us nutramigen formula but I am not sure whether to try it as yet... she really didn't talk me through it and I know if I am to introduce it, then I would also need to give up dairy etc as I am mixed feeding - she made no mention of this. In fact, she just wrote out a prescription and off I went!

Anyway, DS is still incredibly fussy and cries so much and I am lost as to what to do next. Do I try the formula? How do I know if he has an allergy or am I just going to make things worse by introducing it? I have read some info on here on nutramigen and it wasn't all that positive?

Really could do with some advice...

Thanks
x

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
Re: How do I know if I DS has an allergy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:42 am »
Leanne, I already commented on the BC thread, but you could give the formula alone for a few days and keep pumping to maintain supply (but don't give the bm at the same time) and see if you notice a difference.  As I said, I noticed a difference within 24 hours. 

I know people say horrible things about HAF, but DS#1 went to one late in the 1st year and I totally wish that I had switched earlier.  He has some developmental delays and feeding issues because of the pain he was in for the 1st 10 months.  So if a HAF can help DS#2 avoid these issues, then I am game.
Kara

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:11:28 pm »
Hey Kara

Just been doing some reading on the symptoms of allergies and he does have quite a few - including congestion - he's always been really nasally and also has a pin prick rash on his cheek and neck which also goes down his chest.

Just asked DH what he thinks we should do and he said to wait until he is 8 weeks - so until next weekend.

I think I might start eliminating the diary from my diet this week slowly so I get used to it. I can't seem me realistically pumping as the main feeds I do are the two night ones so pumping probably won't work so well.

What symptoms did you notice?

x

Offline mmom

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 15:09:44 pm »
If you are going to do dairy, I would do it all at once.  It can take up to 4 weeks to see an effect if it is dairy and you are prolonging it, if you do it slowly.  I would eliminate all dairy and trace dairy and start from there.

C was congested, had a raspy irritated voice, and puking up everything.
Kara

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 21:57:16 pm »
He is definitely congested and can sound like a seal when crying and gasping for breath.

Can they test for allergies in any way this young?

Offline mmom

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 23:17:57 pm »
I don't know if they can test this early.  What I found though, is that my LO doesn't have allergies, but intolerances.  They really can't test for those and the only way to know is by elimination.
Kara