Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75600 times)

hrk

Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2010, 04:11:03 am »
The blood test is less invasive than a scratch test, I think.  Just one blood draw.  I wonder the advantage of one vs the other.  I was also reading something about two ways that they can do the scratch test.  I can't remember the language, and the site I was reading is not coming up right now.  I will try it again later. 

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:19 am »
Scratch tests tend to be prefered because they give quicker results (that day) & can test more things, with blood the amount of blood to test say 20 things is quite a lot from a baby (like doing say an adult blood donor amount) & also take much longer to get results & the cost is greater. From memory in Aus only 4 antigens are covered by medicare & they are "grouped" (dust mite allergy, grasses, high foods (dairy, peanut, shellfish,egg, yeast etc) & animal) so then you have to go further & test greater groups & the cost is quite significant. Where as for skin prick/scratch tests they can far more effectively test for individual food groups.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2010, 06:21:17 am »
Both my los had scratch tests at 16 weeks. They weren't invasive at all. They're done on the back and they place small dots of the allergens on the back then prick the middle of where they put the allergens. Tiny tiny pricks, neither of my two even flinched at it. Then you wait 10ish minutes to see if anything happens.
Jenny - mama to

hrk

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2010, 18:41:53 pm »
I should qualify my statement regarding the blood draw.  H reacts pretty low to any shots.  ;-)  He usually doesn't cry at blood draws or shots (sensory thing).  The scratch test sounds easy peasy, too.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2010, 23:01:13 pm »
and I'm thinking tha Kai will scream the house done to get bloods, and I think its alot harder to find a vein on babies.  I just declined him a blood test last week for iron, vitamins etc just to see of there was any indication of mal-absorption for hiss low weight gain. So glad I did as he ended up putting on good weight 3 weeks in a row and now back to his 50% percentile so no gut damage there!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2010, 07:08:57 am »
ok so working up the courage to do the next food challenge- amines -

60-120g of dark chocolate a day and 2 ripe banannas

A bit worried as I weighed him today he only put on 50g this week after the great gain last week.  This was the week where he went a bit refluxy wit the last challenge, his appetite did go down with his discomfort.   I do think the benefits of the challenge outweigh the temporary upset -   its also one of the last ones before solids start.  Solids will bring more issues with managing the challenges.

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2010, 07:15:01 am »
At least it's a yummy challenge Eloise!!!! Enjoy! Hope it goes well because amines would improve things a lot for you!!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2010, 07:24:14 am »
Hoping for he is "happier than ever & gained lots of weight" with this challenge!!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline EloysH

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2010, 09:51:43 am »
thanks guys!   :D

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2010, 18:59:26 pm »
I just can't face weekly weighing, but I hope he has another big week of chubb!! I think it's somewhat normal to alternate big and small gains. Hopefully he'll pass this one with flying colors.

Just found out I've got hyperthyroid so another reason (besides my meager diet) for losing weight. Luckily I've never been a twig, so I've still got reserves (and would frankly be happy to end this whole chapter at a permanently smaller size!).

Offline EloysH

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2010, 10:06:01 am »
thanks everyone  :)

I am going to do fortnightly weighing now, I am sick of the build up to it, if he's going to yo yo I would prefer not to know about it.

Just started Amines food challenge today on whim.  I ate a whole bar of 70% chocolate. It was awful actually.  I felt dizzy and unwell all afternoon. I don't know if it was the sugar or the amines or what, haven't had chocolate in a few months or any confectionary really.   K was pretty hyper before going to bed flapping  his arms like crazy, I haven't seen him like that before.  Will keep an eye on it.

Off to eat a very ripe bannana now - yuck.

How do you get hyperthyroid Shannon?

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
I felt dizzy and unwell all afternoon.
Dark chocolate is a pretty powerful stimulant (theobromine and caffeine) so it's not surprising it felt yucky to have a big serving when you're so not used to it. Wonder why the challenge wouldn't be meat based instead??

Off to eat a very ripe bannana now - yuck.
I hate the texture of speckled bananas! Could you whiz it into some rice drink with some ice to make it a "shake"?

How do you get hyperthyroid Shannon?
Apparently you inheirit risk factors for it and it's likely to manifest in the postpartum period because of other hormonal changes. Affects about 7% of new moms I think and there is some chance that it will go away. Meanwhile I get to feel extra anxiety, weakness and irritability. Like PMS on crack maybe?? DH is not impressed with me lately.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2010, 12:13:05 pm »
what? caffeine?  >:( This is ridiculous! No wonder Kai was flapping his arms around the place like mad tonight! I pride in that I have had NO tea or coffee since he's been born, here i am eating a whole block of chocolate  >:(  I will have to eat more banannas then.   I will ask around,maybe I could do pork or canned tuna instead of the chocolate.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »
ok I am kicking myself now.  I went back to my challenge protocol notes and it suggests 4 x 100g serves of amines a day.... it can be done entirely on meat but that is disgusting  pork, sardines, salmon or canned tuna.... or 1 serve = 100g bannana or paw paw. So it CAN be done without the chocolate.  

I was just so excited to eat chocolate again... I didn't think this one thru.  I really don't want anymore chocolate.  That was horrid.  :-\

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2010, 04:23:46 am »
I really don't want anymore chocolate.  That was horrid.  Undecided

You poor dear. Even the 'treats' can become a trick around here, eh!? Hope you both are right as rain very soon.

We had a very fluxxy day here for the second time this week (with everything else holding steady). Naps were rubbish, he obviously had pain (even cried while trying to nurse) and a lot of big spits. He seems so young but I'm suspecting teething as he is gnawing and very drooly. As a result, I haven't tried anything new since the potato last week. On a positive (??) note, for the first time ever, I did not change a poopy diaper today - I hope that spells good news, not bad.