Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75616 times)

Offline sherry lynn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 127
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2010, 14:48:15 pm »
How much solids does he get to have today? How did it go. I'm very excited for you that you get to start solids.

Emory loves his solids and would ask for more. I'm wondering how Kai will take to them.

I just upped his solids and that seems to be helping with the NFs.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2010, 08:56:22 am »
Hello everyon again. Has been hectic here as I'm back to work and LO is up every hour at night teething ATM- so rather sleep deprived (nothing new - ha ha!).

In answer to your question about Finns symptoms... he has has reflux since 4 weeks old, that vastly improved when I cut dairy and soy. At 3 months he develop diahorrea and mucus poos. This went on until 6-7months. Still very fussy most of the time and milder reflux, spitting up a lot, but not screaming through feeds as he previously had. I cut out all top 12 allergens, better, but still there was something wrong. Very fussy and often had very flushed cheeks after feeding, watery eye. Just not a happy baby at all really.
We started introducing solids at about 7 months.
Tried banana - he had green poo, then constipated for 3 days, fianlly pooed what I can only describe as gravel!
Tried carrot - rash across nose, increased spitting up.
Plum - came up in hives.
Apple - got fussier and fussier until up screaming all night with reflux and terrible stomach pain.
This led me to find out about salicylates/amines. So tried Failsafe diet (me) and he really improved.
Wierdly I then tried potato as a weaning food (thought this would be safe) - he came up in a rash on both arms ???
Swede = fine
We are now trialling rice. He is 9 months old now...

I was so glad to hear of the plan your dietician gave you, and am going to use it as a guide for what we will do.
Sorry if this is garbled, lack of sleep taking it's toll.......... ;o)

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2010, 10:16:49 am »
Hi Lizzy,  thanks for sharing that... really helpful on the eve of us trialling Ds2 first food.  Its good to hear what reactions are like.

Sorry to hear your ltitle man is having a rough time   :(

"Wow" to his list of rections to each food.  Well now it seems obvious since we know about the amines and sals.  Of course I cam imagine the reaction to plumb!

Can you remember what type of potato you tried?   I know that pink and yellow potatoes are moderate sals.  Its on the dirty white and brushed white that are ok and must be thickly peeled with no shoots or green tinge.  There is a link that explains other chemicals found in potatoes that LO could be sensitive to (if your potato was complying)  Could be the natural "nitrates".

I have been looking everywhere for the link and can't find it at the moment, will post it when I get a chance.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:26 am »
Crap about not eating out eh!   I am eating out for the first time since I start this ED - (months now) on Monday, I rang the restaurant in advance and spoke to the chef. Luckily they were sooo helpful.  They will make me roasted rack of lamb with no pepper and sunflower oil, roasted potatoes and safe steamed veges.

Sorry to hear about the tough road trip. So glad the bookelt go there in time.

I *dare* you to try long grain white rice (not basmati).  Tongue
That's what I eat every day!? I did accidentally try jasmine rice this weekend though and although he was extra gassy, I wouldn't call it a real adverse reaction.

Saw the dietician on Friday and ended up giving her my RPAH booklet to take home to read. No real staggering news out of the meeting other than her saying that my nutrition is actually pretty good since I'm taking supplements and the rice milk is fortified. That's a relief. She also said that regardless of the looks and comments I probably do/will get, that I AM NOT CRAZY -- she says my family history is very atopic and she wants me to push to see a pediatric immunologist. I see the GP for that referral (I hope!) on Wednesday. She also said she'd personally recommend doubling my intake of the allowed foods rather than turning to the Tolerex - she thinks it's truly nasty stuff.

Hugs for the poor nights, Lizzy. With his reactions, what kind of quantity did he have (ie. did he get that constipated from just a few spoonfuls of banana)?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2010, 06:04:15 am »
sounds like you got some good advice and reassurance  :)  Are you going crazy yet?

Kai started potato today.. he ate 4 teaspoons then gagged and closed his mouth - saying "no more thanks"  So far so good.

We actually had quite a bad 3 days relfux wise, today he came good.  I was feedgin him a but too frequently I think.   I didn;t blame my diet for once.... I do truly thing the feeding has much more of an influence and I was giving top ups without thickener efore naps and bed.

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:47 am »
Hey again! Its so hard when their reflux flares up again - I have had the same with my LO the last 2 days. It had improved so much. It DOES co-incide with giving him rice...BUT he has a very runny nose also - so could be a cold making it worse. I also think top teeth are on the way. The problem I am finding is distinguishing between a food reaction and other things (ie teething / illness). So...I am going to keep going with the rice for 7 days and see what happens.

With regards to the potato - it was just a plain, white, peeled potato. I thought maybe it was because potato is part of the nightshade family. Did not know about nitrates in potatoes, will check this out, thank you.

It was only small amounts that he reacted to. Normally about 4 teaspoons given!!! I forgot to say we also tried Avocado (before we were aware of sal/amines) and he had the same - green poo, then severe constipation. What is strange is the range of reactions. The one that bothers me most, obviously, is him screaming and writhing inpain whilst his stomach gurgles. He is just so distressed, this happened with apple and this happened before with dairy/soy/beef (in my diet). I mean we had 5 days of almost continuous screaming, before he did a huge watery poo and then he would just fall asleep with relief. Then it would all start again. Once the allergen was removed the screaming reduced each day, and after about 5 days we were back to normal.

Oh - I also forgot to say that he has been FINE with pear! So his diet has consisted of Pear and breastmilk!!! But he is still gaining weight.

I am hoping one day I will get a full nights sleep. He has never slept through. Anything from 2-8 night wakings, depending on his tummy. It's all linked to that.

And yep - funny about the comments people make - many people look at me as if I am completely mad, and obviously making it all up!!! I have stopped saying too much now. No one can know what we have been through. I will do anything to stop having a miserable baby who spends a large amount of time in pain...

Good luck with the food trials. I really hope it all goes well. My fingers are crossed for you!

hrk

« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2010, 12:05:52 pm »
XXXXXX for the wakings; if it is teething, perhaps teething tablets or meds can rule that in our out.  Are you doing reflux meds, Lizzie?  If so, when was the last adjustment based on age and size?  Not that you need something else to throw in as a possibility to the mix.  :-(

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »
Eloys - did you make the potato? I have not given E potato. Did you bake it then mash it?
I used the baby maker for sweet potato, but then I read that it is better if you bake it, then mash it?
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2010, 13:46:42 pm »
Sherry, what's a baby maker?  I just steamed the potato and then puree in the bar mixer (small blender) and then mashed some - for next week.   I figured steaming retains more nutrients.  I have to admit that it was a bit dense and starchy i have to add water and BM  to fluff it up a bit.    He gagged and shut his mouth really tight after 3 teaspoons so I stopped. 

I am having troule figuring the best length of time to give the solids after a feed. I have been trying 30 mins later - he doesn't seem very hungry. He's much more interested in feeding himself, and holding the food, and exploring textures so I will try to do finger foods ASAP.   For now, I am letting him hold the spoon and suck it off the spoon himself.

Lizzy: thanks again for joining in.  Hope your little man gets his teeth soon! I was just saying that I am hoping that we have a late teether on our hands, so we can have a clear run at the solids and adding foods into my diet for a while without added complications. We still have alot of vaccinations to do also, I have been a bit lax in this area due to his other more higher priority stuff going on.

Here's to hoping that you get a good nights sleep one day.  I have been reading on the Fed up baby food intolerance forums, - even the most sensitivite food intolerance bubs there are ending up sleeping through... so there is hope.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2010, 14:43:52 pm »
And yep - funny about the comments people make - many people look at me as if I am completely mad, and obviously making it all up!!! I have stopped saying too much now. No one can know what we have been through. I will do anything to stop having a miserable baby who spends a large amount of time in pain...

That sounds like a good policy! I suspect my mom is the only one that 'kind of' knows...

I am still mystified by what is going on with S's poos. He is only going once every 3 days or so and it's thicker and peanut butter brown (no yellow at all for more than two weeks). This is such a big change I can't tell if it's positive or not. He is gassy but passing it well and not too distressed by it except in the early wee hours. My diet has been constant this whole time (minus minor slipups) as I wanted him stable for our move. Should I ask to have it tested maybe??

Offline EloysH

« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2010, 22:18:14 pm »
i think the poos sound fine  :)

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2010, 01:40:26 am »
Ok, I'll not worry.

The dietician is reluctant to try RPAH because 3 'low' foods produced a reaction.

hrk

« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:56 am »
So, H had an apt with a new allergist at the end of last week.  He actually was aware of the diet.  We did some scratch testing that all came back negative.  I guess it is good news (especially for our dog, Star :-).  As I mentioned previously we have those crazy skin issues to boot on top of the reactive airway disease diagnosis (but he is doing well and hasn't had symtoms for a bit now).  We weren't sure if our dog was a part of the skin/breathing issues.

He did think that perhaps it wasn't salicylates, but there is some overlap with foods that histamines.  A lot of our problematic foods are in there including the yogurt (I thought it was b/c it was usually berry flavored, and it still could be that berry flavoring was the issue), avocados, tomatoes, processed meats, strawberries.  Sooooo, the plot thickens.  I think we may try avoiding the histamines and see.  Currently his bottom is RED and dh took ds to his parents yesterday.  I wonder what he had there...   

I haven't had much of a chance to look at websites; the allergist gave us a list with different food chemical categories.  But here is one if anyone is currious to see that list.  http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

hrk

« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2010, 03:47:39 am »
Eloys, look at the link where it mentions that histamine is a vasoactive amine.  Hmmm....

Offline EloysH

« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2010, 04:09:52 am »
Shannon, just to complicate things, I have been reading along the Fed up forums are there are babies that react to low foods.  For instance one baby can't tolerate pears due to fructose problems, one can't do potato due to the other chemicals in potato - natural nitrates? see link below.   There were many other examples.     These people are on a stricter version of the "low".  I think the reason they stay within the RPA low foods is that one can't ingore the chemical sensitivity to sals, amines and glutamates.  I think as long as you are controlling your intake of these chemicals you will be ok.  I can't stress enough that sals sensitivities are more common than we think. 

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet/quick-reference.aspx
 Lizzy & Shannon - this link may be useful re: the potato reaction

Jean: as I see it Histamines are part of the amine family:  see an expert below from the following website:

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/toxins.aspx
Neurotransmitters and Pseudo-Neurotransmitters
Free glutamates form when protein is degraded by lengthy cooking or the action of autolytic or bacterial enzymes. Protein is broken down into its constituent parts, amino acids, one of which is glutamate.
Amines form when amino acids are broken down even further (decarboxylated) by autolytic or bacterial enzymes. Amines should not be confused with amino acids or proteins, as these are largely safe. Free glutamates and amines are neurotransmitters. Innate capacities to neutralise dietary neurotransmitters vary widely between individuals. Multiple hormonal and genetic factors leave some people with a very low tolerance. Dietary neurotransmitters act directly to disrupt the normal neurotransmitter balance of the body and brain. Food chemical intolerant individuals can experience reactions to the following dietary chemicals:

Amines
Histamine
Serotonin
Dopamine
Norepinephrine (noradrenaline)
Epinephrine (adrenaline)
Phenylethylamine
Tyramine (a pseudo neurotransmitter that acts on adrenaline receptors)
Tryptamine
Putrescine
Cadaverine
Free amino acids
Free glutamates (MSG)
N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) and/or aspartate
Glycine (potentially, under some interactions)