Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75623 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2010, 04:10:48 am »
Jean:  yay that Heath has no food allergies!!!!!  Awesome  :)

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2010, 14:55:31 pm »
Sorry, I forgot a word :)
Baby food maker: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=baby+food+maker&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15150693802487189505&ei=BseYTPX1IoOClAfZv7ks&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD0Q8wIwAQ#
My MIL bought this for me. And I love, love, love it!!!!

I'll have to reread the stuff on the other page again. It wasn't making sense to me :)
Emory is up!

Jean - no e-mail from the yahoo site. I'll have to try again. OH.... wait. I need to check my yahoo mail, not g-mail. OOps. I'll try to get time to do that today.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

hrk

« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2010, 18:30:32 pm »
Sher, that looks super nice! 

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2010, 05:42:43 am »
hiya, amine challenge for kingston, so far so good. he did totally fine on banana for a week, even when having half a banana the week following. this week have done pawpaw (papaya) every day and also added pork yesterday (two 'high' amine foods) so this will really test his tolerance i guess. all appears okay so far, certainly nothing like his pumpkin reaction. however he has had LOADS of nw the last two nights (i lost count of how many last night!) BUT he may be teething ??? will give it another two days, so a full week of testing these two foods and then see if nw improves by stopping all the amines :-\ oh i wish he could speak....

potato puree, i find it gets too starchy when blended so i push it through a sieve and then added a little milk to serve. have progressed to chunky mashed and chopped now tho. just need to challenge canola oil or something so i can make him a chip ;D

Offline EloysH

« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2010, 09:19:11 am »
Kirry:  Heya! So glad that K is being a star and putting up with the amines.  Lets hope those NW's ARE teething related so I guess they need to stay when he is off the amines!!!   

Jean:  Just read through the histamines link again, an yes all the foods in the list are listed as amine foods list in the RPAH elimination diet booklet.   I am glad we are finally getting some cross referencing with the different health professionals we are all seeing  :)

Sher:  OOOOHHHHH I really really want a baby food maker!  It makes it look so easy!

Well I have something rather strange to report.  As you probably remember, K has been on lactese drops before every feed for quite a few weeks now.  I was pretty sure they were responsible for allowing his poos to finally clear up from green mucus to yellow with no mucus.  Don'ty ask for an explanation, they just did  :P  Anyway, I have been lax with the drops, not using them for night feeds for the past week and then the last few days hardly at all.  Just today K got a really yellow mucusy poo, and the last few poos before that have had tiny bits of mucus again.       Call it co-incidence?  We'll see - we are are back on the drops.

Interestingly enough he has been on potato for the past 3 days, I and truly think the potato is not causing a problem, he is settled no sore tummy, relfux good  - except for the darn mucus poo.  Anyway, my gut says its not the potato.  Lets see... his poos will clear in 24 hours if it is the lack of the drops.  I will do potato for one more day just to hold that constant.

Oh and he cried for food today when we are out at a cafe, he kept sucking with force on a piece of celery I gave him and getting angry when no food was coming out of it  :o - I felt awful as I didn't bring him anything and there wasn't anything at all that was within his stupid diet on anyones plate...

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2010, 14:59:31 pm »
Eloys - I sure hope the drops clear it up for you.

Kirry - that's a good idea about the potato.

I highly highly recommend it Eloys and Jean. It is sooooo easy. I think there will be plenty of opportunities to use it even when they are older, or even just in the kitchen in general. I think it is worth the money.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2010, 01:59:42 am »
elo, did i tell you about the 100% rice grissini sticks i found, they are great, i always have a few of them and some rice cakes in my nappy bag now. :-*

Offline EloysH

« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2010, 03:50:38 am »
yes we have them, turn to glue though don't they  :P

Offline EloysH

« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2010, 13:08:11 pm »
OK need your advice ladies... feeling very down... please please I don't want my boy to be this sensitive!~

So far: -
Rice cereal - ok
Rice cakes - ok
Rice rusk - ok
Potato - ok   (when I re-started the lactease drops the mucus cleared up)   
Pear - NOT ok????

I made a batch of pears by peeling 6 pears and steaming them - 2 were ripe and yellow colour, the rest green but on the softer side as opposed to hard (all were the same variety - you know the pears that are green and hard to start, then go soft when still green, then eventually yellow tinged green when very ripe?)

RPAH diet stipulates that ripe peeled pears are LOW salicylate
 -unripe peeled pears are moderate salicyalte.

We already know from my food challenge that he is salicylate sensitive, but to what extent not yet tested.  90% of sals sensitive bubs should be able to tolerate lows however.  Potato is low.  I am hoping that my batch had a bit too many moderate sals - that explains things - but I am not sure.

Anyway, I fed him 3 teaspoons a day for 3 days.  On day 3 today - he is clearly unsettled and grouchy and had a contact rash around his mouth, and also very mild red rash on cheeks.   To complicate things he is OT anyway, but he only did 45 mins naps today, crying out when he woke as of to say "no I need more sleep!"    45 mins napping is a rare beast at the moment.  Also last night he woke 3 times before 10:30pm however I am thinking that was the OT.  His grouchiness could be the OT but his feeds are off - he is taking alot less, my boobs are engorged - which makes me think - sore tummy.  His poos are fine, but they were when he failed the sals challenge too. So poos aren't a sals indicator.

Would you say this is a reaction?

Would you say the pears weren't ripe enough?

What do you think of the contact rash?

So down, the wating reaction to stop and then 3 clear days adds another week on top of next week till I can wait to add a new food for myself.!!!

hrk

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2010, 13:40:18 pm »
I would ask the nurse.  The contact rash concerns me.  Maybe they will want to look at IgEs?  That seems to indicate a more allergic reaction. 

I would probably go back to ed, and then try the pear again once syptoms are gone (with a new batch of pears) to rule it out and be more sure.

I will say that pear and apple were in those first blood tests for IgEs way back when.  Both negative.  And you know we have gone round and round on the skin rash.  Nothing new on his skin topically or yours that he would have "mouthed" or sucked?

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2010, 07:33:43 am »
Yeah, I think I'd go back to baby rice for a few days and then either make a new batch of pears (or use canned pears in syrup - since they are low sals) to be sure.

It's not just a dribble rash is it?

J has a pretty impressive dribble rash right now, but he has had a couple of red patches underneath where he's had food stuck to his face so I'm on the look out for reactions too just in case it is a contact rash as well as dribble rash ::) - why are things never simple?!!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2010, 10:19:42 am »
Hi Girls, so I think I am going to join in over here :)

Our history - We think Olly is MPI - he was BF but given occasional top ups which he would then vomit back up 7-8 hours later. At 3 weeks old WE decided he could be MPI (GPs, HVs not interested) so was EBF and I eliminated dairy from my diet.

I have never been sure whether he was sensitive to soy.

A few weeks ago we gave him bread which within 2 hours he had vomited back up and got hives and swollen glands. It contained wheat and soy. Waiting on results of blood test for this.

Also at 3 weeks old he developed septic spots and it took weeks for his skin to clear up (related to dairy - not sure - maybe a co-incidence  ???). He does have eczema which we control with emollient baths and steriod cream.

We still swaddle mainly as he still scratches his head although we cannot see any eczema there anymore. This week I have started to wonder if it still related to food intolerances and that is is actually itchy and not just a habit that we thought it may be.

The last 3 nights have been awful - we are fairly sure this is due to discomfort in his stomach - trapped wind etc. His eczema has flared up again this morning. I was waiting till the blood test results came back but think I will will cut soy from my diet anyway and see if this helps. Maybe he is becoming more intolerant to it?

We want to wean swaddle as we think it may help trapped wind if he can move freely himself to dislodge it. At the mo, he will wake and grumble - we will go in and pick up up as often he will immediately pass wind and settle. Although the last 3 nights this hasn't helped and it take hours to re-settle making me think there is more of an irritation in his bowel than wind. We have never had blood or mucous in his nappy. In fact he has been a bit constipated since going on solids.

Bad nights have co-incided with me offering a bit of my omelette at lunch one day. Only 2 little bits and I wasn't sure any actually went in - I don't eat a lot of eggs though and there were 3 in that meal so maybe it went through my milk? Maybe another co-incidence.

There is of course the possibilty these nights have been purely down to teething but there isn't anything there yet!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »
Hi Bunty Bear  :)

Sounds like Olly has quite a trot  ;)  How's he been the past few nights?

A few things come to mind

- kids with eczema usually have food allergies and food intolerances
-kids with one food intolerance usually have multiple intolerances

- trapped wind & sore tummy coinciding with the bread - wheat intolerance
- egg protein intolerance is not as common as dairy but definantly a strong possibility

What's the rule on introducing egg these days?  When I did solids 2.5 years back they said wait till 1 years old.

If you take the egg and wheat out if his diet for a week or so and bring one it at a time and introduce daily for several days with nothing else new, that should give you a better idea...

as for K's contact rash --- hmmmm  it seems his skin is ultra sensitive... today I tried to wipe dried rice rusk off his face with a wet fragrance free wipe.  He screamed blue murder and them his face was bright red as if he has a rash...

hrk

« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »
Maybe the rash wasn't food related.  Maybe a wipe or something else that he mouthed?  Let's hope that it is something else than the pears.  XXXXX

Buntybear, hello there.  :-)  Got to run, but wanted to say hello. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2010, 14:55:23 pm »
Olly is sensitive to certain brands of baby wipe too, we have not yet had a contact rash from food though. FX

Got letter from our Allergist today with blood test results for wheat and soy - both showing a reaction but not a high one. Still above a negative result and so he advised not to include either in his diet till scratch tests when he is one.  :o Was really hoping it would be one not the other -  not both!

Dairy in my diet definately affects him (he is sick very think white stuff - we assume it is the protein that he is unable to digest) but not sure about wheat or soy in my diet. He doesn't particulary have any symptoms so am reluctant to eliminate them too. Will see how he is in the next few weeks. Am trying to avoid soy though.