Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75598 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2010, 04:41:42 am »
so glad to hear he is happy today :-*

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2010, 06:52:42 am »
 I am thinking that the leaf probably wasn't digested much, after all he's not a koala  ::)

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2010, 07:24:49 am »
Hmmm, need some help here. I have tried my LO on green beans for 4 days. He has been VERY fussy and the night before last was up 2 hourly, then hourly until at 4.30 he was up crying until about 6.30. He IS cutting another tooth - so I am now really confused. Could teething be causing all this? He is also very gassy and a little sicky, but not loads. I have decided to continue with the beans, in case it is something else causing all this and it will settle down. He was not up crying, but still night waking loads, but he has been doing this for about 3 weeks - teeth making him uncomfortable I think.

I did read somewhere that some sensitive babies who have soy intollerance will react to green beans too, as they are in the same family. Maybe this is what's happening.

My trouble is I don't want to jump to a wrong conclusion. he is over 10 months old now and only wats rice, pear, lamb and swede. How the heck am I going to have him on a decent diet by the time he is 12 months?

All the low salicylate foods are so gassy - it's such a pain - I mean, cabbage and beans are not the best for wind are they.

Anyway, just having a moan really as it all seems hard today.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2010, 08:20:12 am »
yes Lizzy I hear you on all accounts. Huge huge hugs!  I just hope the teethign hurries up for you!
Just for working with what you got, you could cook the swede and lamb in a little stock to make them tast different.  Do you vary the textures, offer swede as steamed chips?  I just started with a tiny bit of rice bran oil today on swede chips, lightly baked in the oven.What about diced steamed swede for him to pick up?  Also, you can give rice puff for finger food, rice cakes, rice rusks, and of course boring old rice cereal.   I have also started giving a little cooked lamb bone for him to knaw on (from a frenched cutlet) just to mix it up). He loves it for his teething!

Not fair about these stupid low foods being gassy.  I think a 10 month old should be able to handle the gassy side of things qiute well.  I would just forge on with the green beans until you are sure of what's what.    We are in the same boat with teething too, and introducing green beans  (don't they just make a gorgeous green colour and taste lovely and sweet when mashed up?) and had some of his worst reflux days yet.  Over the 4 days have done green beans, two of them were soooo bad.  But I just knew in the my heart of hearts that it could not be the beans, as wouldn't he get progressively worse, not just a bad day here and there ?  Anyway, my intuition was right, today I spotted a white spot on his gum the third tooth to come in 2 weeks  ::)  And its a bloody canine    :o

I have decided not to hold up the introduction of "low" foods whilst he is teething. (for the sake of getting him on a varied diet). However if I run out of the lows, I will not introduce a moderate sal or moderate amine unless he is having 3 symptom free days and not teething anymore, as I need to be absolutely certain as to what is what.

HTH

Just some news on us, we have hope for a psosible third introduction of pear.  He is getting a third tooth now.  So it all could have been teething.  I am starting to see a pattern, his reflux lfaring up is tnot just indicative of a food reaction, it is teething related too!

Since I last got on we have introduced

lamb
green beans
quinoa puffs
rice puffs
rice bran oil (just a tiny tiny bit)

I am looking for rolled quinoa so I can give it for breakfast.... need to get to the organic co-op for that one.

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2010, 20:03:16 pm »
Hey there - seems we are in the same boat at the moment! I did go ahead with the beans, and things have settled a  bit (still gassy though!). I figured his bowel movements had stayed the same (with other things his poo went bright green, then he was constipated for days and/or he got a rash) so just fussiness and night waking were probably teeth.  Another tooth is definately coming, so this will be a third tooth in as many weeks - poor chap! His reflux always re-appears when he is teething, so explain the sickiness and burps again.

I am forging ahead with introducing foods whilst teething too, for the same reasons as you.  I hear you on the varying textures - it's amazing how creative you can be with one substance! Finn really likes to feed himself - so I am finding ways to give him finger foods.

I am going to give him millet/quinoa porridge next. I eat this (use millet and quinoa flakes) for my breakfast, so it would be nice to be able to use this for him too. I am going to give him the mixed grains as I eat them and hope for the best I think!

Good luck with the pear - I'm sure it will be ok, it seems to be well tolerated by so many sensitive kids. It's a great one to have (my LO loves it) - a great sweetener to mix with cereals / make rusks / lollies / pear spread to put on rice cakes etc.

Love the idea about swede chips and the lamb bone - I'll give these a try at the weekend.
And I have never heard of rice bran oil - will google it. I am going to try him on sunflower oil after the millet/quinoa I think - hopefully this will help to broaden the range of things I can cook him. Also I can then use rice milk.

Good luck with the teething...!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2010, 02:13:15 am »
Lizzy, did that tooth come through? K gets sickie and wet buprs and hiccups with the teething too,. its mamaxong how refluxy he is with teethgin and also OT for that matter.  I always know if he is really tired as his relfux starts showing  :(

How did you go with the grains?

I am doing the snythetic anitoxidents challenge at the moment - onyl goes for 3 days.  And then tossing up whether to finally do the eggs or else try the glutamate challenge, I am hoping he will pass that one.   

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2010, 11:57:24 am »
Hey there - yes another tooth through!
Millet and Quinoa have gone well - 5 days and so far so good! yey!
I am now deciding what to do next. How foods so far are:
Pear
Swede
Golden Delicious Apples
Green beans (but made him very gassy - so limiting these)
Rice
Millet
Quinoa Lamb

Not sure whether to try chicken, oats or another veggie / fruit - but what?
What do you think?

What are K's foods to date?  Hope it is all going well. What do you use for your current challenge? I am holding my diet as F is so much older - I need to get him on more foods. I am hoping to be able to put some things back in my diet by Christmas! (He is 1 year old on 6th December).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how you are doing! Take care.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2010, 04:06:21 am »
lizzy, choko or potato could be a good veg to try (both are 'low' foods)

kingston is tolerating:

grains - rice, millet, quinoa, trialling oats (day 5)
fruit - pear, papaya, banana
veg - choko, swede, potato, green beans
meat - lamb, chicken, pork
homemade veg stock (leek, swede, celery), canola oil, rice bran oil.

also working on building his tolerance threshold for salicylates as he is quite sensitive to this, have built up from 1/4 tsp daily to 1/2 tsp daily of sweet potato (any higher gets a reaction) so are now using peeled zucchini to try and further increase his threshold for sals, on day 2 of 1/2 tsp daily of this.

he has broken out in a rash, very very refluxy (i counted 8 spit ups in 1hr this morning) and pretty cranky BUT as always something else seems to be at play ::) i'm pretty sure he is about to cut his second tooth so am going to stick with it for a few more days. as no doubt he will be teething on and off for months now and we cant wait forever!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2010, 08:27:37 am »
Lizzy, yay for another tooth!  I reckno go for the chicken!

K is on:

green beans
choko
swede
potato

lamb
chicken

quinoa
millet
rice cereal / aborio rice

rice bran oil
homemade chick

chicken stock (leek, chicken carcass, celery/ parsley stalks)
dairy free butter

no fruit yet.... need to try pears for the third time

About to try beef  when I finish this challenge.  Then onto pear and golen delicious apples (maybe) RPA doesn't list as low, but other websites do.  I also need to try eggs.  I am not sure if I will do that next, we'll see.  Then I will try wheat challenge and oats for him. Then I will try amines - bananna at 1/2 serve every 3 days. If all is good for a week I will add paw paw.

On last day of synthetic anotoxident challenge today.  He had a long NW last night and was grouchy and really tired all day, got a bout of hiccups, so I am suspect, but will wait for 48 hours to see what he's like when I stop eating them.  He has been alot worse when on no challenge when teething so... the jury is out.

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2010, 09:02:58 am »
Looks like Kingston and Kai got the startings of good variety going there! Yay!

I am so frustrated. J had potatoes yesterday and today we've had a long session with a sore tummy. I still can't be cerain though that it's the cause. I HATE THIS!!!

I sat down with DH. This is our plan - can you see if it sounds reasonable?
Till Sun carry on as we are (will be 1 week on 100% Neocate). If we don't get any more sore tummies then we chalk it up to gluten leaving his system. (And I think I'll carry on with pototao till then despite being scared to do so!!)
Otherwise, we will cut back to Neocate + chicken for 1 week. I think that should give us a baseline of whether food affects his sore tummy.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2010, 22:13:39 pm »
sounds good. At least when you cut back to neaocate and chicken you will get some answers.  What a slow frustrating business.  hugs Jenny, chin up, it does get better.

So I am prety guttered.  Long NW 2-5 hours last night, fussy all day yesterday mucus in poo last night and this monring a totally mucus stringy poo green nappy.  I think he's failed the food challenge!  I am guttered   :'(   the implications  :-\

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2010, 04:39:42 am »
jenny, k had issues with potato the first time, got quite refluxy on it but no other symptoms so i tried it again a few weeks later and he was ok. i used lots of milk in or cooled boiled water the second time as suspected it was more of a texture thing disagreeing with him. sounds like you've got a good plan hun. hang in there, it's a slow process but as elo said it does get better :-*

elo, hugs hun. was talking to my gp about all this the other day (his LO had intolerances too) and he said as much as you dont want to, make sure you retry a suspect food a few weeks to a month before you really consider it a definite intolerance, reasoning being there is just way too much random stuff going on with babies that could be causing what looks like a reaction. the mucousy poo is a hard symptom to ignore tho :-\

Offline EloysH

« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2010, 05:58:46 am »
Yes Kiry I agree, the jury is still out in my mind, now that the challenge is finished I will wait to see how much better his symptoms get, and what happens with the NW's as there is some prop issues too. The poo IS hard to ignore though, it was 100% stringy mucus.

I won't be wasting anymore time on food chemical challenges now. It straight to egg and wheat, he has a greater chance of tolerating at least a bit of these now.

hrk

« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2010, 13:49:56 pm »
Heath gags on potatoes; just did last night.  Mashed, boiled; it doesn't matter.  Texure issues here, too.  Dh's two food impactions due to his eosinophilic esophagitis have involved potatoes, meat, and citrus based drinks.

And the eosinophilic esophagitis website recommends three weeks of a food to rule it out, I think.  I should look back at that to confirm. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2010, 15:34:11 pm »
Eloise - do you see a dietician about YOUR diet too?? I am giving dairy/soy/wheat/egg free a go but wondered if you have recieved any advice on your diet - esp whilst BFing? x