Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 76076 times)

hrk

Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2010, 19:52:15 pm »
Eloys, it is hard to say what is driving the prop issue, too.  For us, it was really reflux based; once that was under control, then it solved itself with some slow withdrawl.  Things can be so unpredictable with it, as you know.  Between foods and teething and other things flaring it up, it is hard to say.

Have they considered trying a different med at all to see if something may be better?  On three ppis, we all three had different effectiveness.

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2010, 21:56:58 pm »
Well he's 100% better last night and today 24 hours after the challenge has finished! No long Nw's. 

Jean: I am pretty sure the prop issue is just prop again, seriously I am just mush with all of this stuff. We were doing well with independent sleep untilI started worrying that he was hungry with the longer A times!  I just didn't think he could make 5 hours so started feeding before nap time.  The reflux is not rearing intself outside the food challenges or outside OT.  Amazing how much it starts showing when his nap time is overdue. 

Claire: yes I have had advice, the dietician says its absolutely fine as long as I keep eating lots of dairy free butter, and allowed oils and keep eating through the full range of vegetables allowed.  its easy just to eat green beans and brussle sprouts all the time.  She said the main reason for weight loss is the careful choice one must make with all foods!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2010, 22:03:46 pm »
OK thanks - veg and oils then - will keep that in mind  :-*

Offline EloysH

« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2010, 00:10:37 am »
and the balanced calcium supplement - 1200mg per day.  The diet alrerady has heaps of protein in it so not to worry about that... as long as you are eating the meats/lentils every night.

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:37 am »
Eloy, sorry to hear about the mucus poo. Good advivce from Huntermummy about re-trying things again as there is so much going on with babies - so true.
F came up in a rash when I tried potato, and haven't re-tried, but maybe I should.
I gave him cabbage the last few days - can't get Choko here in the UK (not that I can find anyway!) - so tried this. Seems ok. Teeth are coming thick and fast still, so quite crazy at the moment!
I am going to try chicken next. For some reason I am terrified of doing this. We have had some hard times after me eating it - but really could have just been coincidence, so I need to try it directly to see.
His sleep is generally terrible at the moment - I mean, 5 night wakings is not unusual. Definately now using bfding as a prop which he never used to, but I started worrying that as he was not on many foods, he was hungry at night, so fed, fed and fed. But now he is just rooting for the boob, 'plugging in' and nodding off. Hmmmmm. Thing is, with major teething, I don't know whether to deal with it now, or wait till it all calms down... Been a while now. I am dreaming of only 2 night wakings again (when I get a chance to dream that is!).
Take care everyone, Lizzy

Offline EloysH

« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2010, 03:23:03 am »
hugs Lizzy its tough with the teething. I think you just ened ot do what you goota do to get through the rought times.  Whne he's feeling himself I'm sure he would take alot ebtter to any changes.  Kai was feeling really good yesterday, and I was able to put him to sleep without the breastfeed immediately before sleep.  So goes to show.

I hope the chicken goes really well for you!

Jean: totally know what you mean by prop is sometrhing that arises when they are not feeling well though.  This time I equate it with OT and the food challenge.

So we are wating for 3 clear days.... then  not sure what to do next as far as challenges go.  I hate to waste time on a failed challenge however I will never know unless i try some new foods!

I just added up how long it will take me do to the remaining food challenges and liberalisation of Kais diet - 4 more months!!!  I will nearly be done breastfeeding by then.  This is an unbelievably slow process.

If I were to try egg, involves one week + 3 days to recover
If I were to try wheat it involves 9-16 days, 3 for me on oats, 3 for him on oats, time to recover if he reacts, or else the wheat challenge for me.

I can't add new foods for him whilst I am doing this.    I think I need to retry to pear in there somewhere, I really want him to enjoy at least one fruit!

What do you think?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2010, 06:27:22 am »
elo, how do you feel about doing amines for kai? i know dietician considered it a reaction when he got that rash on the 7th day...any chance something else was going on? would you be brave enuf to do banana as a challenge first rather than the threshold building approach?

i ended up sticking with the zucchini and oats, rash has settled but still more refluxy than usual. however tooth number two has just cut today...will see if things settle now it's thru, if they dont then i'll have to drop these foods. this afternoon is the first time in a week i havent had to help him settle to sleep for his pm nap and resettle at 35mins so he must be feeling a little better i hope!

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2010, 06:41:55 am »
Eloise, I think I'd be trying egg and wheat before expanding Kai's diet. He does have quite a few foods already so don't think leaving pear for a while longer would be an issue (and he doesn't know what he's missing!).

Today was our first day of chicken 3 times a day. Sigh. I feel so defeated. As strange as it feels on one level I just don't want him to improve when only on chicken. At least that will mean that there's nothing that he's reacting to anymore and he will just have to grow out of it and we can start expanding his diet.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2010, 08:24:59 am »
Jenny I am so annoyed for you that it's taking this long to get some answers.  Its just not fair!  One more week, you can do it, I hope it flies by!  That boy will LOVE chicken!  At least you will have your baseline of sore tummy symptoms after this week is over (are you keeping a symptom diary this week?) and you will know if foods are affecting him because that sore tummy will get worse or new symptoms will show.    Another thing you can do after he is on a few foods and you are getting confident with his response is to introduce a new food every 2 days instead of 3 days.  This is what I am doing now with the "low" foods.

I do find that I need to refer back to symptoms I recorded down because my memory starts to play tricks on me  down the track.

Kirry, I hope that he settles soon so he can keep eating oats and imagine the implications for moderate sals!!!  Kai didn't settle until a good week after the second tooth cut though  :o

Yes good idea on the amines.  Another one to throw into the mix, that way I would get two fruits. But I am hesitant - with the rash on day 8 with the amine challenge was some refluxing too...  She suggested the liberalisation at the rate of 1/2 serve every 3 days  I think that it would take 6 weeks to build up to 1 serve per day at that rate.   So it is tempting to treat it as a challenge and get it over and done with.        One question I never asked was can you alternate bannana and paw paw during the challenge or during the liberalisation?  Or do they want us to stick to one food?

Still undecided.   I think the main thing that I want right now is for him to pass a challenge or accept something in my diet...  I am not coping well with the big fat "F" at the moment.  The problem is I am not sure which he is likely to pass or fail  ???  I do like tossing up my options this is my version of being the kid in a lolly shop.. weighing up the pros and cons for each option is the fun bit of all of this... gee I DO need to get a life!!!

Oh and we are 90% sure now that Kai failed the synthetic antioxident challenge. His poo has no mucus in it now.. this is 72 hours later.  It cements in my mind that he is sensitive to salicylates (I started thinking I imagined it) as the dietician said, when they are usually sensitive to sals they will be sensitive to all preservatives and additives. :(

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2010, 08:08:18 am »
Eloise, it's funny what you said about thinking you imagined it! I have had times like that too, when all is well I forget about the bad times, and begin to think it's all in my head.

No chicken for F as I missed the butcher this weekend. So I have tried oats. I'm watching and waiting at the moment.
I agree if you are desperate to get something else in your diet to focus on that for a while. TBH, Kai is way ahead of where Finn was at his age. I saw my dietician 2 weeks ago and she was happy with his few foods, as he is gaining weight well. She said it's probably a far better diet than most kids of his age who are eating all sorts of cr*p!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2010, 22:28:51 pm »
Hi girls. I've been holding my breath (and my pathetic diet) for this appointment. He wants me to forge ahead with solids and forget all about food allergies:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=180573.0

Offline EloysH

« Reply #266 on: October 26, 2010, 00:37:21 am »
so I just tried Kai on Bannana today!  He LOVED it!

I realised that we can't afford a food reaction this weekend because its DS1' s third birthday party so I need to introduce something for Kai again  ::)  So I chose amines,  since they are the next lowest risk group after the the "low chemicals" foods, and will aloow him to eat some fruit.

My beloved egg will need to wait  :P

So I will do 1/2 serve of amines every 3 days.... the theory is that this amount will be sustainable indefinately!  It allows me to give him a little bannana and paw paw every day. And later I will throw in some slow cooked meats.

hrk

« Reply #267 on: October 26, 2010, 00:57:19 am »
XXXXXXXX Eloys.  I hope the trial goes fine.  And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to J!  We celebrated this past weekend.  I can't believe the boys are 3!!!!!!!!!!  Now to get past Halloween.  I think I need to start planning for the histamine challenge.  XXXXXXXXXXXXX  I already see his bottom getting red from the extra fruit he was eating this past weekend. 

Offline EloysH

« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2010, 01:13:06 am »
Be sure to let us know about the challenge  :D  Happy B'day H!!

so the red bottom is sals then?

hrk

« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2010, 01:29:17 am »
He actually had grapes and a few strawberries (strawberries were yesterday).  So, it could be either the histamines (strawberries) or grapes (salicylates).  Check out my post on fb.  :-(  It is going to be a long night.