Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75620 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:14 am »
OI hope the rash clear up quick.  wow too much a coincidence for it not to be the sals since he got a rash last time eh?

hrk

« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2010, 12:24:09 pm »
I see the comparison was between rice, hemp, and hypoallergenic.  Some will still react to the milk protien, but it is supposed to be much more "non" allergenic.  In comparison to trying all the other formulas like lactose free, it was the only thing that reduced the gas. 

So, we are not the only ones experiencing the bottom rashes and skin rashes.  I just wish I could figure it out.  I put a desitin cream with aloe and vit e.  His skin broke out within two hrs.  We have to be so careful what goes on his skin.  Plain water in the tub everyday gives us the best result.  I am taking a soap making class.  We have done cold and hot process, and we will do a liquid soap next week.  Then we have a lab to make it ourselves.  To make a soap without olive and coconut oil is difficult.  The dermatologist said to really avoid coconut oil for los with KP or exzema.  So, I think I am definitely going to avoid that.  Safflower and sunflower oil will not harden a bar of soap properly.  A bit more reading to do on that.   

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:04 am »
jean, so frustrating not knowing the exact cause isnt it! we are Qing a lotion as well as the salicylates atm.

elo, bananas can be quite constipating, we had the same thing with k initially. does he drink water in a sippy cup yet? 1 or 2oz warm water is good, also warm water with a tsp of brown sugar if just plain water doesnt do the trick.

bb, i was taking the calcium, and also a preg/bf multivitamin. i was also told to have magnesium and vitamin d (unless you get out in the sun heaps) for calcium absorbtion.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:17 am »
Well we had a 2.5 HR NW last night :o don't know if it was the nutramigen or OT! Not sure whether to risk more milk today. I know I need to else I will never know but it so hard, right?!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2010, 19:29:31 pm »
hugs BB. 

Jean, the dietician said that burnt bottom (nappy rash) is a classic sals reaction, the sals burn them on the way through. SO nappy rash is a common symptom.

hrk

« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2010, 23:56:39 pm »
The bottom is such a puzzle.  With the grapes/strawberries, I would picture his bottom getting flaming red.  It started just a tinge, but it was gone quickly.  Usually a flare up takes a day or two to go away.  The kp/exzema that goes from nearly head to toe could be something he is eating and giving a systemic reaction.  I may want to do the usual egg, wheat, etc again???...what do you think before diving in to histamines?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2010, 04:57:12 am »
personally I would dive into the histamines. My reason is this: the dietician siad once you establish a sensitivity to one food chemicals they are highly likely to senstivite to the other natural chemicals and the additives and preservatives. I didn't quite believe her, I thought Kai would be exempt.  But hes now failed sals and preservatives.  So I am going to write off the other addtivies challenges and just assume sensitivity.  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:07:34 am by EloysH »

hrk

« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2010, 13:12:21 pm »
Eloys, how did you do preservatives?  I really think preservatives have a bit to do with it too.  He can eat homemade bread and cooked ham and get no red bottom.  He eats the same thing at Subway or E&G, and he gets a red bottom.  I have looked at the chemicals in the bread/foods.  There are sooooo many, that you would have no idea how to pinpoint which one(s) are problematic.  Same thing actually happens with a McDonalds hamburger.  The thing in common?  Processed bread...   I have thought back to him getting the double ring rash from the total cereal bars I made when we were doing dairy/soy free.  It could be the molasses (which seems to be a coinciding flare up ingredient I avoid now), but Total cereal has lots of additives for vitamins.  It probably has the most additives out there.  So, the reason that gave such a reaction (from several bites) may be additives or molasses. 

I am thinking that the berries and grapes flare the reflux angle, and preservatives may be flaring the bottom issue?  That is how it seems to be panning out here.  Of course, when ever I think we are pinning something down, it turns out to something else. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #293 on: October 30, 2010, 15:22:01 pm »
Jean - it was after I gave Olly a bread roll he got hives, vomiting etc. I looked at the ingredients and yes it had wheat and soy but a whole load of stuff I had never heard of  :o. I don't know why I was eating it let alone giving it to Olly!

hrk

« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2010, 19:02:24 pm »
Yes, looking at bread packages makes your head spin!  Why can't it just be regular bread ingredients???  I have started baking from the book "Aritsan Bread in 5 Minutes a day".  Their basic bread is yummy.  The whole wheat was a total flop.  I noticed my yeast didn't rise/bubble, so I may give it a try again. 

Offline EloysH

« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2010, 03:26:20 am »
Jean,  I did the preservatives same as any other food challenge.  Whilst he and I are on the baseline diet without ANY preservatives or additives, low sals /amines/glutamates, wheat, dairy and soy free I am able to challenge the different groups one by one.  Preservatives are split into challengnes for the different preservatives & additives types, benzoates, sulphides, synthetic antioxidents, nitrates, propinoates, MSG.   Each group is challenged one a time for 3 days, and then wait for 3 clear days till moving to the next challenge. You eat large quantities of each preservative over those 3 days whilst holding everything else on the diet constant. If a reaction occurs then it means you have a sensitivity to that group.

I have food challenge protocol for each listing how to do them one of these days I will scan them up and email to you.  But here is some info on the challenges:

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Factchallenges.htm#tolerance

I did synthetic antioxidents through my brestmilk for Kai, he reacted on day 3 with the reflux and mucus and stringy poo and very unsettled day and night.  We couldn't ignore the poo.  As soon as I stopped the challenge, he came good.  So I am assuming sensitivty to all preservatives and additives for now instead of wasting time going through them one by one.  (There are too many other things still to do on the diet!).

hrk

« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2010, 14:04:59 pm »
EEKS, there are so many.  What are the vitamins called that are added to cereals and such for nutritional purposes?  I do wonder about that with the Total cereal (or as I mentioned things with molasses seem to also flare things up).  But he is fine with his cherrios.  So the additives in that cereal seem to be fine.

By doing the homemade bread, we are avoiding the proprionates.  So, maybe that is a big part of it.  The organic tortillas from the natural food store are proprionate free, too.

hrk

« Reply #297 on: October 31, 2010, 15:37:18 pm »
Here is the other thing that throws off that theory, too.  He will sometimes eat a store bought bread (without molasses) and get no reaction.  It does have proprionates.  But maybe the amt is less than other prepared breads?  It keeps me guessing.  And breads also have "nutritional" additives, too.  Hmmmm.....

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2010, 01:07:48 am »
Eloise what are your 17 foods now? I'm looking for ideas of what to try with J. So far we've just got chicken, lamb, avocado and rice (so excited about rice because it comes in so many forms!!!).
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:41 am »
Jean there a couple of explanations for inconsistent reactions.  Will post later tonight  :)

Jenny:

choko
swede
bananna
paw paw
potato
beef
green beans
kidney beans (only a few)
lamb
chicken
green lentils (only a few)
quinoa
millet
rice
amaranth
homemade stock from lows
nuttelelx
rice bran oil
canola oil
rice milk in cooking
neocate for cooking

(for all grains he has tried pasta, puff, the grain, & rolled versions)