Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75603 times)

Offline Edesanja

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2011, 08:23:07 am »
He's just had a NW for an hour which is completely unheard of. He was hot and his tummy was hard, so maybe it's both things. I'm going to have to stop I think. Though stopping is my automatic response when things start to get crappy, so if you think I'm caving in too early let me know!
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #376 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:45 am »
Claire:

Wow alot has happened for you guys since we last spoke!  I don't blame you holding off on sleep training especially with that cold  and teeth :-\  I wonder if you can see a naturopath and get him on some supplements to support his immune system for recover from that beastly cold?

On the grains:  I cook up quinoa - just like rice for absorption method and use for all recipes that have rice in them.  Also use rice alot for risottos, pilafs, put them in patties. Occasionally I throw in some rolled amaranth into whatever i am cooking for texture. Of course he has his gluten free bread every morning for toast too.

On the oat milk, I am wondering whether it has enough calcium though?  I know rice milk is not allowed for use as a whole milk as its not nutiritius enough.  I don't think oat milk is either, but i can see you are still breastfeeding anyway, so that's where he's getting his milk nutruents from ;)

Great news about taking wheat out. I was thinking that he probably doesn't present like an allergy when its through your milk because the milk is such a wonderful filter and softens the effect.   Sounds like he has an allergy there for sure!

I reckon you should give the eggs a go!  So many options to K's diet now ......  the dietician said symptoms would be profuse egg smelling farts and really rank egg smelling poo, loose stolls maybe mucuous maybe not.  Kais poos have been exactly the same, no egg poo LOL!

I am wondering if you might find some benefit from giving Olly his fonger foods first whilst he is hungry, to emphasise that this is food and what we eat, and these are the textures we need to come to grips with... and jar food after just to be sure that you get some calories into him.....  I think that jar food sort of freezes their eating ability at the 5-6 month mark, there are no lumps or challenging textures.
In the freezer I store pre made bags of finely chopped raw low sal veges: -
white cabbage
purple cabbage
choko (small dice)
swede (small dice)
celery
green beans

then its so easy just to pull out a mixture and cook in a tiny bit of water in a little pot and then transform into whatever dish necessary, eg risotto, mine and vege patties, rice pilaf,or jsut toss in gee and garlic for a vege stir fry.  

I also premke 1.5 kg batches of mince patties
1.5 kg of chicken and veal mince or else canned lentils
one finely chopped leek and cooked
ABout 1 cup of cooked rice or half half with quinoa
I cup rice flour and rice puffs ground up
egg
steamed or pureed veges
then I crumb them with rice crums and fry in oil.

He eats them as finger food.

On a typical day he eats:
breakfast:
gluten free toast with dairy free butter in fingers
sliced bananna or pear
handful or rice puffs

snack: breastfeed

lunch: risotto with 5 veg
a chicken mince & veg pattie
roasted potato or swede wedges

snack:
paw paw slices and rice cake

Dinner:
slices of roast lamb, or lamb cutlet or else roasted chicken
steamed veg diced small then fried in some clarifed gee
some quinoa cooked with lentils mixed through

He eats everything with his hands and mostly refuses the spoon

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2011, 09:29:29 am »
Now we've had puke. He's never vomited before. Now how do I know if it's a tummy bug or that stupid egg? Ahhhh!!! Hard and sore tummy (no farts because it's all trapped in!), but poo hasn't been too different. Maybe worse smelling but that could just be a tummy bug.

Sounds like you're a gourmet cook Eloise! What a lucky little man to have such yummy meals made with his limited ingredients!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:33:26 am by Edesanja »
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:52 am »
Jenny:

Don't stop!!!!... if you look at my last post, the symptoms for egg are egg farts and egg poos loose stools and maybe maybe not mucus. A temp or grizzly sounds more like teething hun,  keep going until you can get a look at some poos.  If they look unhappy then stop.

About the eggs: - did egg yolk for 3 days - toast dipped in poached egg yolk
then did  a cooked egg in pancake
then boiled eggs whole for 3 days

Sounds like he has a good little diet going now...

so glad that the soy thing is going well too.. yay!

Kirry:  Oh poor thing, he does teeth badly doesn't he??  And Can I share something that may help you.  On Kai's last bout of teething he had hurrendous mucus poos and I SWEAR he and I ate nothing unfamiliar.  He cut his tooth and still 7 days later his poos were off and sleep was off.  He cut his tooth, then the mucus started after the tooth cut, and peaked by day 4, then went away by about day 7 and I swear I did nothing to bring it on!!!   I really think it was a teething thing, maybe he became more sensitive because he was teething.  The only thin it could be is the abby panadol with the additives in it, we were giving it so often... and he does react to additives.....  

Hopefully your tests show up something, It would be a shame to start pulling his diet right back... maybe just a step at a time.  This too shall passand he'll be fighting fit in no time.  :)  Surely another doctor at the practice can ring up and get results for you???

Jean: waving!  thanks I got your Xmas card today and lovely to see pics of you guys!! You look EXACTLY as I imagined, lovely!  So glad to har his red bottom is still a thing of the past  :)

hrk

« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2011, 13:23:16 pm »
Waving back to you Eloys!  :-)  

I came back to add that I think I am going to post in crc to see if anyone recommends a particular reflux wedge for a twin.  It looks like there are a number of brands.  I am thinking we need to go vinyl and flame retardant free (to avoid any breathing issues).  We spent a good chunk of change on an organic mattress, sigh.  Changing to a bbb is starting to feel like a money pit, lol.  

I wish I had some ideas on the eggs.  Food challenges are difficult when there can be other factors at play.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 13:41:19 pm by Jean :-) »

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #380 on: January 10, 2011, 20:44:57 pm »
He ended up being awake from 2015-0030 last night. Then I slept with him in the spare bed in his room but he only slept for brief spurts on and off and screamed the rest of the time.

I've got a doctor's appointment for later this morning. You're right it doesn't sound like egg if I think about it properly but the fact that it started after his nap when he'd had egg for lunch and WHY DID HE HAVE TO GET SICK ON A DAY THAT WE TRIALLED EGG IN THE FIRST PLACE makes me very nervous. He's not eating or drinking anything so far so I might get a day to get brave.

Thanks for the advice!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2011, 21:07:29 pm »
Jenny, that is similar to what happend to me about 3/4 months ago - gave Olly a tiny bit of egg from my omlette and had 3 nights of NWs. Now NWs are so not unusual for us but just cannot bring myself to try again as don't need any more reason for him to wake!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #382 on: January 10, 2011, 21:12:20 pm »
Eloise - thanks for the info. I tried givng him his finger food first this evening but we are currently at the stage wher he is thorwing everything over the side of his high chair so he didn't eat a lot! BTW when I say jars of puree I mean organic stage 3 stuff, def has lumps and he is fine with them :)

I will def try and find quinoa. How does Kai eat pilaf with his fingers? Even I would struggle!

I have tried mash potato patties as you did suggest them aw hile ago but he struggles with them. I have a load in the freezer so keep trying them a few times a week. Sure he will get the hang of it soon.

PS We have our scratch test on Weds. Have no idea what to expect or what we will find out so FX'd!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #383 on: January 10, 2011, 21:27:47 pm »
Oh Jenny, awful - that's enough to put one off egg for life!   Hope he gets better soon, poor man  :(

Claire: I just make the pilaf a little wet and gluggy and he takes big handfuls and splats them into his mouth  ::)   The patties hold together much better when they are made of rice and mince, much firmer.  If I make potato ones I need to par cook the potato and grate, them make into a patty.  It starchy and springy and holds together well.

Oh great about the stage 3 jar foods, I am not sure if we have that here.... wonderful.  If only I could have the convenience of a jar, I checked them all, believe me... but they always have an ingredient he can't tolerate.

Best best luck for your scratch tests xxxxxxxxxxxx keep us posted for some answers,  especially the wheat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2011, 21:32:22 pm »
BB scratch tests for us were very simple and didn't hurt at all. The paed drew 5 little dots on J's back and then underneath 4 of the dots put a little drop of allergen (milk, soy, egg, peanut - the 5th was the control). The took a little needle type thing and pricked where he'd put the allergen. Then we waited 5 mins and he checked them (we were talking all the time) and then he checked them again before we left.

Eloise, how do you get on with freezing all K's food and then reheating it? I did that with DD but tended to find things went rubbery. This time I've frozen small portions of mince etc and then I defrost, mix together and cook when I need it. I'm making it work ok, but having things pre-prepared is easier!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #385 on: January 10, 2011, 21:35:09 pm »
Thanks Jenny. Are they the standard allergens tested or are they specific to the child? Mind you, as I am in the UK (NHS ::)) it will probably be very different!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2011, 21:37:45 pm »
all the veges are frozen raw but finely diced/chopped

as for patties I pre cook half then freeze and just thaw/defrost in microwave and reheat in fry pan
Other half (1kg batch) I make individually and crumb and freeze raw, then thaw and cook.  Just need to remember to pull one out mid morning though.

Also freeze portions of risotto, that thaws and reheats nicely in a little pot.

I can't do with out my mini pot, its tiny and I use for everything, makes Kai sized meals!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #387 on: January 10, 2011, 21:54:54 pm »
You are doing so well making all Kai's foods with all the NWs and 2 kids to look after. I don't know what I would have done without Hipp Organic foods! And I am a foodie! Did try Olly again on some of my food (a bolognaise with GF pasta and cod in a tomato sauce) over the weekend but he wasn't interested  ::). Still it has only been since just before his op, before that I made everything, and it is organic - stops me feeling like a cheat  ;)

hrk

« Reply #388 on: January 10, 2011, 23:00:03 pm »
BB, I agree that the scratch tests will be easy.  H did about 10-12 of them.  It was at least helpful even thought they were negative.  One should flare up by design, I think.  They will likely have him lay on his tummy and do them on his back.  Or bring anything to distract him on his tummy.  That is unless the protocol is different based on his age or where you are?  He will probably have to stay that way for 15-20ish minutes (I wish I could remember the length of time better).  HTH

Eloys, after this you could start a home based business making foods for little ones with food intollerance.  :-)

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2011, 00:34:42 am »
Both my kids just sat on my knee with their tshirt off. We carried on with the appointment talking about different issues then they were checked a couple of times. They didn't need to stay sitting or anything. They were both 4 months at the time though so couldn't get into too much mischief!

Been to the Dr. He has tonsitilitis! I am kind of relieved but my poor wee boy. She said that tonsilitis often does produce really high temperatures like he's got.
Jenny - mama to