Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75608 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2010, 15:02:45 pm »
Question!

When your LOs have sore tummies do you find there is anything you can do to relieve them? Saw on another post a lady used gripe water which helped her LO (she is only  ? MPI at the mo tho). As some of you will know from birth club I have had awful ngihts this last week. Calpol didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

I will say that one thing we did seem to find helped was propping him on 1 side. He was more settled on us when we held him like that - I didn't want to get into that habit so mimicked it in his cot and we did have a better night last night.

hrk

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2010, 19:18:20 pm »
Do you only have an mpi diagnosis?  Do you have any other diagnosis like reflux?  Any meds in the equation or just food avoidance at this point?

Colic Solved is an excellent book; it suggests left side sleeping holds the tummy contents the best.  http://www.amazon.com/Colic-Solved-Essential-Infant-Difficult-/dp/0345490681/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285615082&sr=8-1I really recommend that book for anyone with gi issues; it talks a bit about mpi and gives some good strategies.  It really is a quick read, and can help you weed through other possible diagnosis, too.

XXXXXXXXXXX  Hugs for the sleepless nights.  We used mylicon gas drops in every bottle, but we were also switched to alimentum formula by our pedi (as nothing worked to cure the gas).  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 19:20:17 pm by Jean :-) »

hrk

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2010, 19:21:33 pm »
I am not familiar with calpol, but some pain relief meds can be hard on the tummy. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2010, 20:32:03 pm »
Hi Jean, We only have the blood test results I said before - they show a moderate allergy to dairy, soy and wheat. Don't think he has reflux. Calpol is just a paracetamol suspension here in the UK  :)

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2010, 23:42:07 pm »
Hi Buntybear,

Great news that you got some answers.  So if he is sensitive to wheat and soy - is that allergy or intolerance?   

Just going from your descriptions I tend to think that the sore tummy is wheat, especially if you have results that his is sensitive to it.  My paediatric dietican and allergist both confirm that ALL food irritants cross through the milk, so if they are sensitive to it in their diet they will be sensitive through your milk, (les so because the milk is a lovely filter though).    I can confirm that Kai is sensitive to nearly everything through my milk, especially salicylates.

I would do a trial and go off wheat and soy at the same time for a weeks weeks.  If no chagnge to his sore tummy then go back on.

In reply to your question: -Kai doesn't really get a sore tummy anymore cause there's nothing much that I eat to make it hurt  ::)  In fact I don't much variety at all  >:(  So not sure on that one  :(

How was last night?

hrk

« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2010, 03:05:43 am »
I am not sure what sore tummy means.  (I think I am tired and need to go to bed ;-).  Does that mean gas or abdominal pain of some sort?  We had a sore esophagus due to the silent reflux.  GAS like crazy until we went to the hypoallergenic formula; couldn't tollerate regular or soy formula.  Probably mspi looking back, in addition to the silent reflux.  Frequent/excessive feeding to clear the acid build up in his throat that lead to him being VERY gassy (and WAY over the 95 %ile) by the sheer amt of food he was consuming, until we were on a low dose of reflux meds.  Nights didn't come in to line until we were on a high dose of meds.  XXXXXX   

I still recommend the book "Colic Solved", if you have an mpi or mspi diagnosis.   ;)  It is a quick read, too.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2010, 14:21:08 pm »
I am not sure what sore tummy means.

In this case I meant windy and gurgy.  :-\

So if he is sensitive to wheat and soy - is that allergy or intolerance?   

Just going from your descriptions I tend to think that the sore tummy is wheat, especially if you have results that his is sensitive to it.  My paediatric dietican and allergist both confirm that ALL food irritants cross through the milk, so if they are sensitive to it in their diet they will be sensitive through your milk, (les so because the milk is a lovely filter though).    I can confirm that Kai is sensitive to nearly everything through my milk, especially salicylates.

I would do a trial and go off wheat and soy at the same time for a weeks weeks.  If no chagnge to his sore tummy then go back on.

In reply to your question: -Kai doesn't really get a sore tummy anymore cause there's nothing much that I eat to make it hurt  ::)  In fact I don't much variety at all  >:(  So not sure on that one  :(

How was last night?

Not sure if allergy or intolerance. I guess as he produces IGE it is an allergy?? These are the blood test that he has had done http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAST_test

When he had bread he didn't get a sore tummy - then he got the hives and vomiting. Sore tummy was last week and the only thing that changed in his diet was that I gave him the egg.

Last couple of nights have been better thanks  :) Actually last night I think he basically STTN! Meant an early morning though - swings and roundabouts I guess!

hrk

« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2010, 20:00:22 pm »
You are right, IgE testing is for allergy that involves the immune system.  Intollerances will not likely show up in a test looking for IgE allergy responses.  From what our allergist and gi said, foods that can flare up reflux will most likely not show up in an Ige test because they do not involve the immune system.  But there are certainly foods that flare up reflux (and other conditions). 

Fantastic you had a sttn!  Fingers crossed for another!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2010, 04:06:36 am »
In fact I don't much variety at all  Angry

Weakly waving hand from the back...

I so hear you, Elo!! I've completely stopped thinking about challenges. Lame, I know. I am eating my 5 foods 24/7. I got "brave" and made a chicken soup (with no skin!) using only the salted stock and some chicken and rice. Poor dear had a terrible tummy ache, and screaming as bad as I've ever seen it. I had to leave work, etc and I just can't see how I can try other foods if he's going to go completely sideways. It's just shocking to me. DH thinks maybe because I'm 'artificially' keeping him well and happy (sheesh!) that he reacted more severely than he would if he were somewhat uncomfortable all the time!? On the (very) plus side, as long as I keep to my regimen (slash torture test at parties) S sleeps so well (only one NF, a few more resettles) and good naps too.

I have started dreaming that I accidentally eat a food and then S has a bad reaction. Hugs for my fellow sojourners on this road... it gets bumpy!

Don't get to see a ped. until first week in November and haven't even got a date for an allergist. Sigh.

Elo, did you retrial pears?

Welcome, Buntybear (did I miss your name)?

Thanks for the book recommendation, Jean. I don't know when I could find time to read it, but I might try to find a copy!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2010, 04:59:11 am »
Shannon, what was in the salted stock? - any bought stock is not allowed on this diet due to being high in everything. I wonder if you could make some stock out of boiling a chicken carcass, leek & parsley stalks.

Great that he sleeps so well for you  :D I can totally see why you would be filled with fear at adding new foods. :(   However my dear friend, if your journey will be anything like mine, the reality of adding new foods will dawn quickly as he approaches 6 months.  I had to change my way of thinking about the diet  throw out the utopian symptom free idea and go for a kid & a Mum that's on a range of foods and - maybe not symptom free, but able to sleep eat and be happy most of the time.

I will retry with the recommended pears in a jar as Kirry had luck with these and Kingston is quite sensitive to salicylates too.  I am just hoping that I was not able to control the sal content with my homemade batch and inadvertently gave him moderate levels instead of low.    If he reacts to the jar stuff (as they ARE low) I will be really shocked. I am not thinking about that yet.

We just did choko - no problem  and now doing swede.  these are low sals items so I take comfort from that. Chicken next.  I am hoping that chicken will hlpe the NW's.

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2010, 08:06:06 am »
Just popping in again - good luck with the chicken EloysH. I am about to try lamb with my LO this week ( this is the meat I eat, so am trying this instead of chicken). I'm going to wait until Sat, as I work Thurs and Fri, so will leave it until after, just in case...
Hope all goes well for you... They are all so different aren't they?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2010, 10:28:35 am »
elo, if he reacts to the jarred pears then maybe it is a fructose sensitivity?? could explain why he was never totally symptom free while on the TED, time will tell i guess.

good luck with the chicken, K LOVES chicken and lamb ;D

hugs all round ladies :-*

Offline EloysH

« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:15 am »
Kirry, how do you prepare the chicken?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:33 am »
with all Ks meat (lamb, chicken, pork) i have steamed it til just cooked. then pureed with some hot water with one of those hand held stick blender thingies. you need a reasonable amount of water to puree it without being too dry, just keep adding small amounts til it blends nicely into a paste. then freeze in 1/2 tbs amounts. to heat in microwave add a tiny bit of cooled boiled water in the bottom first as otherwise it turns into a big hard lump :-X the first few times i added a little breast milk too. i used to poach some of Hs meat too.

hrk

« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »
We don't even use any boullion cubes or prepared stock cubes, either.  Just salt.  And I boil/steam the chicken with a bit of water in the pan.  It keeps it more tender, and having a lo that is sensitive to textures, he won't do much with dry/chewy textures.  

Eloys, good luck with the chicken.  H would sometimes get really gassy from chicken.  I don't know if it was the brand and perhaps how it was processed (looking back).  We are much better with going fresh and with the least amt of processing, and he does well with it now.  But he is also much older.  Such a learning curve.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 14:19:29 pm by Jean :-) »