Author Topic: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2  (Read 129719 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2011, 19:12:57 pm »
(HUGS) we found  these things helped us with sleep (though in saying that around 6 weeks DS got reflux and we were AP city for a while with not a lot of sleep)
White noise or music
Swaddling
Dummy
patting - but on the bottom not the back (and shhing sometimes) If he doesn't like that you can try pressure on him in the cot
rocking chair
If you are finding him hard to calm down we always found (when its not ick outside) that taking him out in the fresh air all wrapped up helped calm him down...not sure why! I also found we had to hold a DS relatively firmly and on his side against my chest - almost with his face in my armpit/boob with the dummy when he got really worked up to get him to feel safe and relax.

He is still so little you are doing a great job!!! :) hope this helps a bit, i'm sure the other ladies have some good tips!

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2011, 08:53:11 am »
Thanks. I tried the music last night and it really helped. Even when he woke up i started the music on his monitor from downstairs and he went back to sleep without me even going up. He does like a dummy. I am reluctant for swaddling but the times i did he seemed desperate to break out. He does like the patting and hand on chest too. I remember k used to like going out in the fresh air and would instantly calm. Weird. B keeps waking up giving a shrill cry then going back to sleep. Is this touchy?

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:48 am »
I remember k used to like going out in the fresh air and would instantly calm.

My LO does the same.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2011, 19:21:20 pm »
Weird. B keeps waking up giving a shrill cry then going back to sleep. Is this touchy?
For us this type of behavior was DS acid reflux and sometimes he would wake with pain, other times he would let out the cry in his sleep. Do you think your DS may have reflux?
Glad to hear some of the tips are working for you!!! Once you find what your LO likes things will get more manageable. x
***Sara***

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2011, 19:52:06 pm »
Khalam's Mama - Swaddling didn't work for us until around the 2 month mark...she just didn't like it until then, lol.  Any rhythmic sounds worked well too, and any sort of motion.  I still slow dance with her when she gets really upset before naptime or bedtime, and she just settles into my shoulder and chills (as long as she's ready to go to sleep), it's oh so cute when she does it :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2011, 21:14:51 pm »
I hope b doesn't have reflux but i have been keeping an eye on him because he has started spitting up loads to the extent i have to change his and or my clothes and he does sometimes seem in pain after feeds. It is only the last week though. No other signs though.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2011, 21:46:35 pm »
mmmm he is at the right age to develop it....just keep an eye out for the signs incase, DS got reflux at 6 weeks (classic acid reflux) and it just started with crying during/after feeds and crying out during sleep and spitting up a little, but it smelt acidy. (HUGS)
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2011, 21:55:19 pm »
Hmm it doesnt smell acidic but i have perused the reflux boards and posted so we Will see. Music didnt work much to settle for the night so i think i spoke too soon.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2011, 23:56:14 pm »
Is it touchies that have a hard time with being unswaddled? Has anyone been successful with weaning their LO off the swaddle? How long did the process take?
Justine

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2011, 00:25:06 am »
It was easy for us, Lyanna just started busting out of the swaddle...somewhere around 3-4 months.  We had been swaddling with one arm out because she started sucking her thumb so I think that made it easier for her to break out of it :)

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2011, 00:47:44 am »
Isaac gets out of his swaddle every night and needs re-swaddled 1-2 times a night. Naps are fine so far. We started one arm out of the swaddle today but he hasn't yet found his thumb so there was a lot of crying I think because his hand frustrated him. I guess I need to just stick with it or I need to wait on it and I'm not sure which one to do.
Justine

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2011, 00:48:30 am »
I weaned dd1 from the swaddle when she had started to break out if it too.  I think she must have been 3 or 4 months.  I did it cold turkey and put her in a sleeping bag instead.  I didn't need to do this but I read that with babies that still have little control on their arms, they put them in a sleeping bag but keep their arms tucked inside the bag for a while.

Sorry I'm not contributing much.  I am reading along, but by the time I catch up with all the posts I forget everything!!  I'm still so foggy:/

I also have a question for US mums.  DS has cradle cap.  Is there a special shampoo or ointment I xan buy?  TIA

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:15 am »
Jay - Have you tried the Miracle Blanket?  We did that with another swaddle wrapped around it and that kept DS (who was big and strong) in for a looong time.  We didn't completely wean the swaddle until 9m!  He just really needed so we rolled with it.

KM - That sounds suspicious for reflux to me, too.  Definitely keep an eye out.  It's good you'll be on top of it if it is.  But I hope it isn't.  Fingers crossed.

Charmie - You can do a dandruff shampoo, the medicated kind (the name is escaping my OT brain atm!) once a week.  But you can also just try olive oil!  Works well from what I hear.  Rub it on and you can gently comb their hair and a lot of the flakiness will come out and the skin will be really moisturized.
*Kate*

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2011, 01:23:27 am »
The MB is what I've been using for months. I just bought the Woombie but after trying that out I feel like I should just wean the swaddle b/c he can get his hands up to his mouth in the Woombie and it just frustrates him. Tonight, I put him in his woombie and then put the MB around it loosely (he's in a diaper). I guess I could do that but I'd just have to get him down to his diaper every nap time  ::)  Or, I could try the blanket around the MB. I'm starting to feel like he needs the swaddle still as well.
Justine

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2011, 01:54:34 am »
Our DS hated being swaddled until later. Weird aye! He always used a GoGobag (sleep sack) at night, but I am swaddling him for naps now...hoping to wean that soon.

Charmie - Re Cradle Cap we used natural unfragranced massage oil, but olive oil or almond oil would do the same thing :) And apparently lots of hair brushing (even if like our DS there isn't much to brush...it distributes the natural oil build up)

KM - I also hope its not reflux, but do keep an eye out x
***Sara***