Author Topic: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2  (Read 129680 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2011, 18:18:14 pm »
Jay2yay - I feel your pain for weaning the swaddle. I have been doing some naps without the swaddle and if I can get him to settle... he only sleeps for 30 minutes. I haven't done it all the time yet because I am so fearful of him getting OT because that is a mess! I was going to try to go without the swaddle last night but chickened out. I tried one arm out instead and he took forever to settle. I finally gave up and tucked that arm in. I really want to get him out of it but wondering if he just still needs it.

Thanks for the stroller tips everyone! I took Jude for a walk yesterday without the car seat and that seemed to help a little. He has learned how to arch his back when I am trying to strap him in but once we got moving he was ok.

Any tips on weekend trips? We are going to a friends cabin 3 hours away - our first trip with Jude. I am so nervous about the drive, the change in routine, sleeping! Anyone been there?
Katie

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2011, 19:56:31 pm »
Kta- I'm just not sure DS is ready to be out of the swaddle yet. I've been putting him in his woombie with a blanket wrapped around it. It's been working nicely since it's still secure, but not super tight and he can still move his arms if he wants but it's still a little difficult for him to reach his mouth. I'm just going to do this for awhile.

Also intrigued to hear any tips about traveling for Kta!
Justine

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2011, 00:30:10 am »
Sorry for posting the question on cradle cap here!  I thought I was on the birth club.  I told you I was foggy!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2011, 09:28:16 am »
Yeah, travelling. I've done that.
I don't know how to be less straight forward, but do you have to go? :P
It might all go well with no prob, but it might not be easy.
My LO sleeps in the car, and the long drive was quite ok (we drove 10h in one day). Saying that, there was not much EAS on that day, I fed him in the car even if it wasn't quite time yet, because I knew it will help him sleep. A shield on the window also helps (the one that sticks if you know which one I mean), but it was a bit sunny where we drove. Oh yeah, and we stopped every couple of hours, got some fresh air, changed him, walked a bit around with him.
But a flight - don't go there. I won't do it again till he is 18 at least.

Regarding the swaddle, I think if it's working for you don't stop. Touchy babies need a bit longer than other babies to be weaned from it. You will know when it's time.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2011, 15:30:42 pm »
18?!?!?!?! lol!
Justine

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2011, 16:59:35 pm »
I think we are actually not going to go. Just found out we would be sharing a cabin with another family with 2 kids. That sounds like a nightmare since my guy needs dark, quiet, and white noise to sleep! Oh well... maybe next year! :)
Katie

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2011, 18:30:10 pm »
18?!?!?!?! lol!
:D
I think we are actually not going to go. Just found out we would be sharing a cabin with another family with 2 kids. That sounds like a nightmare since my guy needs dark, quiet, and white noise to sleep! Oh well... maybe next year! :)
Maybe when he is 18 :D :D :D
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline charmie

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2011, 18:32:33 pm »
Hmmm not very encouraging!!  We have to take a transatlantic flight next month.  8hrs minimum.  I wonder how that will turn out.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:02 am »
Does anyone else's touchy babe get really really frustrated when they cant do something?
My DS is getting so frustrated and whingy when he cant get something or move into the position he wants..it is driving me insane. He doesn't just keep trying he totally packs it in from frustration in like 2 minutes. I can see we are never going to crawl...its all just to hard for him and he gets upset! I try to be right there with him and encourage him etc, but then he just wants cuddles. Tips???????? I think we have a bit of SA starting too...I leave the room and count to 5 and he starts to bawl. :(
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:29 am »
Does anyone else's touchy babe get really really frustrated when they cant do something?
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

It is also very frustrating for me!  When he was trying to crawl he would get on his tummy, wave arms & legs all over & then get really angry!  He's belly crawling, but still not crawling properly yet (almost 10mo now!) & I think that is frustrating him too.  He wants to get going, just hasn't figured out how yet.  I try & encourage too but he can also get upset.  Now he's belly crawling he shuffles over to my legs & grabs me when he's upset so I pick him up & give him a cuddle.  Not sure if that's the right response or what else I should do really!

As for SA - we've had it terribly for so so long.  He's getting a little better now, but its always worse if he's tired.  He will start up before I've even left the room.  It is hard, but still go & do whatever it is you are doing.  Tell him you are going & maybe try talking to him from the other room so he can hear you're still there.  Then he will learn when you say you are going that you will come back.  Or play peek a boo around the doorway - that works a treat for us - do it a few times & he gets bored & starts playing with a toy then you can nip off no problem!!!  Its a developmental stage where they have to learn that objects exist even if they can't see them - you will soon notice (if not already) that if a toy disappears out of sight he will try & look for it etc.  That's when you know he's starting to grasp the concept.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:15:41 am by clairebear79 »

Offline charmie

« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
Claire have you tried to put your hands behind his feet?  When pushing against your hands he'll move forward.  It should give him a better idea of what should be happening.

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2011, 16:08:22 pm »
So much frustration over here!  And she's never going to crawl, but somehow she manages to get close-ish to where she wants to be by shuffling sort of...all I know is, I turn my back for a second and she's in a different spot!  I understand how you could be going insane, we are going through the same stuff but with walking...that's a whole new treat :)  If I'm not there to help her stand and walk to where she wants to go she gets super frustrated and has a meltdown...

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2011, 17:33:57 pm »
Oh the joys to look forward to....I'm already seeing it during tummy time - he hates it. Has anybody ever been given advice to what you are supposed to do when they get frustrated?
Justine

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2011, 19:11:12 pm »
When he was trying to crawl he would get on his tummy, wave arms & legs all over & then get really angry!  He's belly crawling, but still not crawling properly yet
This is EXACTLY what DS does.
Now he's belly crawling he shuffles over to my legs & grabs me when he's upset so I pick him up & give him a cuddle.
LOL - DO we have the same baby :P

Charmie, we have been trying that, though at the moment being a bit clingy if I get too close sometimes he just rolls over and wants cuddles.

Brooke - I am certain he will walk before he crawls...just want to be standing all the time, and trying to pull up. Then there is the added frustration there too that he cant move when standing and still needs help.

you will soon notice (if not already) that if a toy disappears out of sight he will try & look for it etc.  That's when you know he's starting to grasp the concept.
Yup he already looks for things, TBH I think he is a bit of a whinger when he doesnt get what he wants...we take a toy away, he packs it in. I walk away, he packs it in. I am trying to keep talking and do what I have to do (im only gone like 2 mins) and then come back and give him cuddles.
Has anybody ever been given advice to what you are supposed to do when they get frustrated?
No :( At the moment I try to help (but not too much) then get him to try again ro if he starts to loose it I am giving him cuddles and we are doing something else...probably the wrong thing to do!!!!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline charmie

« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2011, 19:22:21 pm »
Justine, I put him on the boppy (breast feeding pillow).  And in front of the tv.  I know it's not ideal but I've tried the mirror and books too.  The tv is the only thing that will keep him there for a few minutes.  I think the benefits of tummy time outweigh the negatives of a few minutes of tv.  There's a good thread on tummy time on the activity board.