Author Topic: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2  (Read 130152 times)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2011, 12:37:20 pm »
Sara - I haven't BTDT, but would Zac be ok with a small gathering of family? Maybe you could do a small party for him with the family in the morning and a small party with friends in the afternoon? Or do it in a park or so that when things get too much you can take him for a stroll? Or maybe he'll have a mommy and daddy day, just the three of you :D ?

Cecildix, Lots of hugs. We all know how hard it can be. The first thing that pops to my mind is that many mothers found the sling or any other sort of carrier a life savor and that was the only way for them to go out of the house. We were lucky that DS felt protected enough in his pram when it had the cover on. Is that something you can do?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2011, 15:51:10 pm »
Sara - We are doing a small-ish party with just our immediate family the weekend before her birthday.  Then on her actual birthday it will just be the three of us :)  I was also worried about her handling all 50+ people that we would have had to invite...and luckily hosting a big party is just not going to work out for us with the size of our house, etc.  I know my MIL will not like that we are not inviting great-grandparents and great aunts and great uncles and second and third cousins, but I don't care.  I told DH if she wants all those people invited then she can host a birthday party for L and feed everyone!

Cecildix - We've all been there!  It really did suck for us the first few months as well :(  It will not be like this forever though, so hang in there :)  With L I try to look at everything from her point of view.  At that age she would get over stimulated and overtired because she just wanted to observe every little thing...wanting to see and investigate and figure out everything around them is so overwhelming for such a little baby.  We always put a time limit on outings, so we could get her back home and in bed when she needed it (she would nap in her stroller if it was covered, but that phase ended when she decided she would rather see everything than sleep).  It made for short, quick trips but it helped keep her sleeping well.  Around 4 months her schedule allowed us to bring her out more often, and we took her out every weekend somewhere to get her used to new people and places, but only one outing each day (so she wasn't getting overstimulated).  We went through the rushed eating as well, but DH and I just ended up changing our eating schedule so that we were eating at 7pm after she went to bed.  That way we could eat together and not be rushed.  I don't remember too much of what I did with her play wise at 10 weeks, but I think it was basically letting her watch me do chores (or carry her in the sling while I did chores) and a little bit of time on her playmat with her dangly toys.  I don't have much advice for breastfeeding, I only breastfed for 3months...but I remember L having plenty of growth spurts between 0-3months where she was eating every 1.5hrs though.  Maybe check out the breastfeeding boards if you are concerned about your LO snacking, you may be able to get her to 2.5hrs between feedings at 10weeks, but I don't know that you will get longer until she is a bit older.  I know it's tough, but if you start looking at things the way she sees them you will start to understand her a bit better.  I promise it will get easier to figure out what she needs, and you will be able to leave the house again :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2011, 19:55:57 pm »
We have a snooze shade to minimise os on outing. The rain and wind cover helped to reduce noise too. I wouldn't have a party for your lo if you know he wont enjoy it. The park is a good idea. We did this for k's 1st and it is less in your face and you can escape if he needs it.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2011, 07:12:21 am »
Good ideas. It is hard because my parents and my IL are all excited about it and all my friends are going on and on...but I just know deep down he will prob get really OS and upset at all the noise. The park does sound like a good idea...and I think no matter what I may split it so friends maybe for an hour at a good time for him and family on the next day. Thanks ladies :D
LOL Brooke. There is no way we are having ALL the relies!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2011, 21:15:43 pm »
Don't be pushed into a party at the expense of your lo. I hate it when you get pressure from family. It is good if they start to understand him now else he will forever be getting pushed into things that are too overwhelming for  him.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2011, 21:41:27 pm »
I talked about it with DH last night and I think we have a good plan which will not put anyone out...but will not upset Zac.

We will do a family afternoon BBQ on Sunday. Just our parents, my grandma and my brother and his partner. Zac loves them all, knows them all, and I think will be fine with them all there at OUR house. (Not their houses ::) ) We have a big deck and grass and opened planned livng so plenty of room for Z not to feel trapped too.

The next weekend I will organise a small party with a few of his friends for about an hour and a half. Any longer and I think he will get over it. DH has a plan that after that time if Z starts to get over it he will just leave with him to his room and hang out while I deal with any guests that 'hang around' haha. I am going to do it in the morning and after his nap so that we have the afternoon to 'chill out'

I am feeling heaps better about it now thanks lovely ladies! :-*
I just remember a friends sons 1 birthday and it was INSANE! people and noise galore, the freaking TV on loud in the background, sugar sugar sugar! OS central for a normal baby let alone a touchy one. She wondered why her DS was wired all evening ::) It is totally what I don't want, but feel people expect sometimes  >:(
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2011, 21:46:35 pm »
Sounds realistic. :)

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:14 am »
Sara, that sounds like a really good plan. Save us some cake!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2011, 19:09:04 pm »
LOL that is the next thing...which cool cake to make hehe

How are al your LO's sleep going? We seemed to have hit a rough patch at night. NW are starting again and because Z is so much more alert and sitting/standing in his cot it is hard to settle with shh/pat. He just goes bezerk if we try PD ::)
***Sara***

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2011, 14:38:08 pm »
LOL that is the next thing...which cool cake to make hehe
Thats exactly my current dilemma!!!  DS's birthday in just under a month.  We are doing a small tea party & inviting a couple of friends & immediate family only.  I want to make him his 1st birthday cake & I want it to be really special!!!  So gotta get looking for ideas.

Oliver is sleeping OK through the night, just still waking up early (as I'm sure you've seen on the 2-1).  Siigh.  6 months of this now & no end in sight.  6am would feel like a real luxury lie in to me LOL!!! 

As for sitting/standing in cot he is doing this when we put him in bed for his naps & BT, but we just turn off the lights & walk out.  He usually just lays down & settled by himself.   

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2011, 00:34:14 am »
We are dealing with EWings as well. I hope it doesn't last too long! :)

For those of you making first birthday cakes and have issues with dairy/soy intolerances, there is a great blog with birthday cake recipes that you should check out. The strawberry cupcakes look delicious!
http://www.mspimama.com/search/label/Desserts
Katie

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2011, 03:11:05 am »
Oliver is sleeping OK through the night, just still waking up early (as I'm sure you've seen on the 2-1).  Siigh.  6 months of this now & no end in sight.  6am would feel like a real luxury lie in to me LOL!!!
HUGS We have been having NW a lot at the moment and sometimes I feel we are doing it all wrong...no matter what I do we get them, all random times too :(

As for sitting/standing in cot he is doing this when we put him in bed for his naps & BT, but we just turn off the lights & walk out.  He usually just lays down & settled by himself.
I have been getting this for a few days which is so cool, but then I get a bad day and he sits and cries and cries for me.

Kta thanks for the link! :)
***Sara***

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2011, 18:40:32 pm »
NW here as well.

Sara love the new pic of little Zac, he is so cute!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2011, 18:56:44 pm »
Thanks, Not sure where the Ginger hair came from, but I suspect my brother, he has a tinge lol :P
***Sara***

Offline bilodeau

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:12 am »
Ladies, i think my # 2 ( 3 weeks old) is touchy. ( first one was spirited). Before i go further here, anyone can guide me on where i can find that " test" to help you figure out what type your baby is? I did it with # 1 but cant find it now..