Author Topic: Neocate users - are you having to medicate for reflux too?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Neocate users - are you having to medicate for reflux too?
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:28 am »
I am really confused about Neocate and reflux.

I am aware that reflux can be caused by MSPI / multiple food protein intollerance. Therefore a hypoallergenic amino acid based formula SHOULD 'cure' the reflux, as there will be no allergens to cause a reacion.

From reading these forums, it seems that lots of your LOs are on Neocate BUT are also still being medicated for reflux.

Does this mean that the Neocate doesn't work completly?

The reason I am asking is that I am breastfeeding my 7.5 month old baby on a strict elimination diet, but he is still having episodes of reflux. I have a choice of using reflux meds, and continuing to breastfeed, or to switch to Neocate and hope that it cures all. I am concerned that I switch to Neocate, still have to medicate (as I may as well have just stayed with the breastfeeding and medicate anyway IYSWIM).

I would be so grateful if you could share your experiences, if you are / have used Neocate. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!!!

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: Neocate users - are you having to medicate for reflux too?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:26:58 am »
Reflux can also be caused by a condition called GERD - gastroesophegal reflux - where the valve at the top of the stomach does not close properly, and thus food "refluxes" out the stomach valve.  It's just as common of a cause of reflux as MPI (have no stats but I'd guess it's even MORE common) and many babies have it until their system matures a bit more. In the case of GERD it doesn't matter what formula the baby is on, or what food they eat, they will still have the reflux. There are meds that help the reflux not burn as much and there are some meds that help to coat a "raft" over top of the stomach contents so they can not escape as easily. 

So there are LOs who have MPI and need to be on Neocate but also have reflux caused by something other than MPI and thus still need to be medicated.  Neocate or other HA formulae will eliminate the symptom of reflux in MPI babies but not if the reflux is caused by a weakened stomach valve.

As far as if there is any way to know what is causing the reflux there are loads of invasive medical tests that CAN be done, but probably would not be - expensive, invasive, etc etc. 

If it were me in your shoes I'd add some reflux meds to the mix first and see where that gets you.  For me, reflux meds for my MPI child just changed the symptoms.  I think at 7.5 months your LO is proabably getting a bit old to switch to Neocate in terms of taste....it's a horrid tasting formula and the younger they are when they switch to it, the better.  You might have a hard time getting your LO to take it at this point.  NOt that that is the only thing to think of, but it woudl be a factor for me.