Author Topic: Helping 12 month old learn to dress?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Helping 12 month old learn to dress?
« on: July 27, 2010, 00:51:41 am »
My LO seems VERY interested in getting dressed. This is especially true with pants as she is constantly trying to pull things over her leg. As I type she is hauling around a pair of pants and a small dish cloth. Every few minutes she sits up extends her leg and makes the "dressing" motion of pulling on pants either with the pants or the cloth. She has been doing this for almost 45 minutes straight! She doesn't seem to be getting frustrated, but is very serious about trying to pull the pants/cloth onto her leg.

How can I help her learn to put her pants on by herself? Is there one kind that is easier than others? I really don't care if she learns it right now or not, but it seems like she wants to be able to.

Lol, I just tried to help her and she started crying and waving me off.
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Helping 12 month old learn to dress?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 00:54:56 am »
I'd just let her keep practicing. She is quite young to dress herself. My DD is nearly 2 and is only just recently been able to get underwear and shorts on herself and even still sometimes puts them on the wrong way. If you want her to keep trying for fun though, soft, flexible pants or the same material shorts are easiest, I think.

Have fun.

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 04:51:57 am »
She basically put herself in her PJs tonight!

All I did was hold them behind her and help pull them on to her arms and then zip them up! She put her arms in the holes one at a time, stepped into each leg, all while holding onto the chair in front of her. She was SO proud of herself it was adorable.
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:27:51 am »
Awesome!!!!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:21:53 am »
Wow! Maybe you have a future fashio designer on your hands there!  My dd was always putting stuff on...we called her "Steven Tyler" (from Aerosmith) because she'd put leg warmers on her arms, 2 of my bras around her neck, a baseball cap with a ski hat on top, and socks on her hands...all at once!   ;D  Little bag-lady!

My first thought with your dd is a tu-tu type of thing...dd got one for her 2nd birthday, and it is so simple to just pull on over her clothes...she had sooooo much fun with it!  I might get her one, and some beads to put on, kwim? Dress-up type stuff that is simple to pull on...fireman jacket, cowboy hat, whatever! she'd love it!