Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62430 times)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2010, 21:45:41 pm »
I got a lot of negativity about BLW, she'll choke was the favourite. The worse time was from four months old 'she needs a little extra' yeh, she got it, from me!!!
 My HV was very good when I told her my plans. In fact she was telling a mum on Wednesday about the stages of gloop, weaning and mentioned BLW, so I said yay it's fab. The hv actually said 'she's the lady to talk to about that!' I explained it briefly, they didn't look convinced!

It's something you need to establish before some people accept it!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2010, 22:06:27 pm »
I mentioned it to MIL and she just could not believe it...her big thing was "aren't you ascared she will choke" and I said no and even if she does, I worked at Children's hopsitals for how many years?  I am pretty sure I know what to do if she does choke!

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2010, 16:04:57 pm »
My father was the most nervous, especially when he babysat DS and had to give him lunch.  My mom said until DS finished everything my dad was really on edge!  LOL!  I admit, I was a bit nervous at first too (Marsha, you really helped make me feel better about it just reading your posts on here!), but when I saw how well he would react in terms of getting food back out using his hands or coughing big stuff back out, I felt so much better.  They have such a good gag reflex and once they know what they can handle, it's amazing to watch them go for it!
~Stef~

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2010, 16:10:45 pm »
We were at the pub today for lunch with some friends we only see once every few months and they were quite surprised that DS was chomping on duck breast, big pieces of red cabbage, chips and mushrooms. They kept saying "Ooo isn't that piece a bit big?" looking all scared. I had to explain that he was going to hold it and suck or bite bits off not swallow it whole! They asked if I'd brought a jar too and I was like "nah he'll just have what we're having". (apart from the bread and butter pudding with custard of course, that was all mummy's!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2010, 22:17:08 pm »
Stefanie I'm glad I helped reassure you. I've learnt that babies deserve a lot more respect than we credit them for. People are too quick to 'baby' them when all they want is to do it themselves, especially with feeding! I used to love watching S eat, I still do, when it's not being thrown!

Cadies mum I pride myself in having never bought any baby food ever, long may it continue! There aren't many 9 month olds that eat duck breast ;D
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2010, 23:01:03 pm »
There aren't many 9 month olds that eat duck breast
True. It was mine, I just cut a big chunk off, so was the red cabbage. The chips and mushrooms were DH's.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2010, 19:45:42 pm »
Hi everyone!  I just started my lo on solids on Sunday,  and I've just come across BLW.  I started with the typical rice cereal, but I think I'd like to try BLW.  I think it sounds like it goes well with the BW approach of watching cues, and respecting baby etc.  DS has been holding the spoon as I feed him, and I think he'd really enjoy feeding himself.  I'd like to know how to begin, and I'm concerned about how to pitch it to DH.  He wonders why I always want to do things differently than everyone else (ex.  He wanted me to put cereal in bottles to help him sleep (I bf!!) , wonders why we don't use a paci, and why I don't let DS CIO).  The biggest concern is choking.  I told DH that no matter what age a child is, there is a possibility they will choke when they are eating solids. I have read that blw babies gag a lot too.  I've just been surfing the web today trying to find out info about all of this.  I don't have a lot of time because we just moved to a new place last Thursday, and I am still unpacking!! I know- not the right time to be starting something new like solids, but there never seems to be a "right time"!!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2010, 22:14:56 pm »
Hi Amy, so glad you've found BLW ;D

Choking is LESS likely in babies weaned this way, they tend to gag excessively which looks and sounds quite alarming! A babies gag reflex is a lot further forward than ours which teaches them how far to shove food, fingers, toys and anything else they can get their paws on in their mouths!
 When I weaned DD this way the only food she properly choked on was cooked carrots, as it's quite slippery and a little bit got stuck. She was sat in my lap and working it out, I was about to do back slaps when she got it out. I didn't give carrot again for a while!!!

The best thing is to start with him in your lap and just sit him in front of some simple stick shaped or chunky food. Broccoli is a brilliant first food as it isn't big and lumpy, they get quite a mouthful that just disintegrates. Although don't over cook it or it falls apart too easily. Tomatos (seeds removed, saves on mess) and cucumber wedges are good as are boiled potatos. Avoid soft bread as it gets quite doughy and stuck in the roof of the mouth, but lightly toasted is good.

If you want to read on BLW Gil Rapley has written a book called BLW, helping your baby to love good food. It answered all my questions although I became very anti purée after reading it! Buy it for your DH, that'll persuade him.

Be warned though BLW is EXTREMELY messy, but fun and very lazy! No mushing, spoon feeding, pulverising to be seen, just watch the salt you add to your food and you all eat the same ;D

I'll be starting DS in a month*sniff* I can't believe he's nearly five months already! They grow too fast!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2010, 03:31:27 am »
grrrrr...had an awsome post for you and lost it!!!!!

here is one link you may like
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0

Here is another:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178354.0

So I was just saying how I too read the book and agree it makes you really rethink purees.  I can proudly say I will never have a jar of babyfood in my house ever again!

You can pitch it to DH on the cost level.  bc you are giving LO the same food you are eating, there is no extra money spent on fancy jar foods.  And you can tell him if he has all sorts of extra time and would like to make the purees himself, you will be more than happy to give them to DS :)

You can also use me as an example.  DS was fed like "normal" and now at 19mo will eat almost nothing.  Although after watching his sister eat everything, he has started to try more things.  THis is due to the fact that they are not experiencing the texture and reall taste of food if you use purees.  It has taken him a long time to eat anything that is not totally smooth or super crispy as that  is the only 2 textures they really get the "normal" way.

Did I mention the book is a super fast read, and honestly there is a big chunk you will not have to read?

The choking is honestly not even a consideration.  I worried in the beginning and hovered over her.  But honestly she gags but gets most everything out herself.  In the beginning I pulled a few things out that were sticking out of her mouth but in retrospect it was not necessary.  The important thing in the beginning (according to BLW book) is not to put things into their mouth, but let them work out how to pick it up and get it there themselves.  I was shocked that after just a few days DD could pick up a banana and avocado all by herself!!

I wrote more, but I forgot now  Sorry I am kind of out of sorts tonight.

I say start doing it and then let DH see how well it is going.  My DH likes that we are forward thinking and I am willing to try new things that might benefit the babies more.

Oh, we started on very ripe juicy fruit with a skin.  Ripe plums, nectarines, peaches, that sort of thing.  Leave the skin on, it gives them something to hold and then they just suck the fruit right off the skin and DD ditches it over the side.  I have found a bebe pod (or bumbo) on the kitchen table helps with the mess.  It is also a good seat for them bc it tilts them forward (gravity is their friend in the beginning when the big bits need to come back out)

Good luck!  It is so nice to jsut give her what I am eating....she eats it all now after just 1 month...even steak and chicken!

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2010, 03:33:03 am »
as you can see DD is very serious about her food  ;D

I just noticed her furrowed brow in both pics too funny...she LOVES to eat!

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2010, 03:41:51 am »
Thanks for the help ladies! I will check into the book and the links.  BLW sounds great to me.  Why make more work for myself blending everything.  He is really independent and wants to do it all himself anyhow- so I figure let him give it a try.  I'll work on DH.  He usually lets me have my way on the baby stuff even though he thinks I am nutty sometimes lol!  I love the pics btw!  I have a bumbo with a tray already, so I guess I'm all set.  I will prob try next week once I get through the book.  I'll have to check Amazon to see if I can get it for my Kindle so I can read it right away.  I'll keep you all posted!

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2010, 17:01:44 pm »
I keep cut up veggies in the fridege and then can steam them as needed to keep prep work at a minimum.  I also freeze little flattened meatballs and mashed potatoe patties (mashed potatoes mixed with ground flax seeds, eggs, spices and other veggies and then baked at  350 C for 20 minutes).  DS still loves those.  I love seeing him dive into 'strange' foods :)  The only thing that caused some gagging for us was apple.  I now just peel a whole apple and give it to DS vs. wedges and he goes to town without being able to get huge chunks off.

Good luck!  DH was a bit hestitant when we started but keeps telling me how glad he is we went the BLW route!
~Stef~

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2010, 00:48:48 am »
So I was able to convince dh we should give it a try tonight at dinner.  We had pork, asparagus, and rice.  T had asparagus, pork, and a peach.   He made really funny faces when he tried the food.  The pork got tossed across the room, and the peach was squished to death.  He was a mess bur had a ball!  Dh was not impressed.  I'm not entirely sure what he thinks it is supposed to look Luke when babies learn to eat.  I think he is just tired of me doing things differently from the norm.  I reminded him I'm just progressive and choosing the best options for our child.  They just don't happen to be the norm.  I guess I should just be happy that he goes along with it all.  What did you Give your lo for breakfast at the beginning?  Most of my carbs are high fiber foods which the book said to try to limit.

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2010, 02:15:51 am »
I do banana with toast or a few cheerios or some oatmeal with some other fruit.

El loves asparagus! She likes the tops bc they come off in her mouth nicely.

Keep trying...they get the hang of it quick

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2010, 15:56:24 pm »
I do cream of wheat, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, toast, fruit, muffins, smoothies... (obviously not all on the same day!!!).  I give fruit every day and then either a cereal or an egg or toast with the fruit. 
I understand about the mess...  DS is finally getting cleaner.  I got pretty strict once he started throwing things on the floor on purpose.  But now we're doing lots of spoon and fork practice, so the floor is a mess once again :)
~Stef~