Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62421 times)

Offline bakershaker

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2010, 19:48:07 pm »
Keep trying...they get the hang of it quick

I completly agree with Sarah on this one! I thought Myla was never going to understand BLW, and out of nowhere and me giving it to her everymeal, she fiqured it out. Now she won't even look at mush and wants all the big peices! We do toast with jam for breakfast with some puffed rice, and egg yolk for lunch with some steamed green beans and some chicken or ground beef. Supper is whatever we are eating..but she loves loves spagetti!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2010, 22:37:31 pm »
Also wanted to mention that DS did better when he had less on his tray at a time.  One or two items at once worked well at first.  Any more and he would start dropping stuff (maybe he was overwhelmed...)  Now I can give him a whole plate of dinner so it took about 4 months or so to work up to.
~Stef~

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2010, 09:48:55 am »
I didn't give DD breakfast as such for ages, she had her first solids around 1030 so it was just a snack really.

I reminded him I'm just progressive and choosing the best options for our child.  They just don't happen to be the norm.

Amy tell your DH that this is TOTALLY the norm for just about half the planet! It's only the so called 'civilised' nations that 'mush' everything, and most of that is driven by the big commercial companies!

Oh and if he wants to see mess check this out  ;D

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178354.0

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2010, 18:45:44 pm »
Hey all-
Just a question from those of you who BTDT

Yesterday morning I gave El some oatmeal for the first time she loved it and got quite a few handfuls in her mouth.  She then refused to BF almost all day long!!  I did not give her more solids until she took a full BF, but that was not until almost 5.  She did take 2 super tiny feeds on one side each time.
She then of course woke twice last night to BF...HUGE feeds.

Should I just avoid oatmeal?  or is this some sort of transition I need to worry about?

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2010, 23:36:54 pm »
Hard to know... maybe try other foods and see if it's the same and give oatmeal a break.  I know it's pretty filling, but not that filling!!  Maybe someone else has a better thought?
~Stef~

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:20 am »
Following along... I've been doing a combination of puree and finger foods, but recently Ellen has started refusing the mush. I need some more good ideas for finger foods and more motivation to cook ::) ::)

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2010, 02:19:20 am »
Sarah I never gave oatmeal so can't help sorry.

Megan any food is good in its natural shape, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, tomato & cucumber wedges are all winners. x

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2010, 02:28:43 am »
Yeah, I'll give her just about anything and she will eat just about anything, but the problem is I don't cook much for myself and DH and I don't have much variety of foods on hand b/c we always end up eating the same old easy stuff. I could chalk it up to being pregnant and exhausted, but really I think I'm lazy.  :-\ That and DH never seems to like what I make so it's very discouraging to cook for him. And like I said, Ellen will eat almost anything, but she never eats much of anything at all, so it's hard to find motivation to prepare foods for these people ::)

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2010, 02:40:24 am »
Megan-I have made finger food things and put them in the freezer in small portions and then just warmed them for EL.
I make hand sized meat things and I also do a lot with sliced fruit and avocado.  I make a small portion of pasta and then keep it in a ziplock in the firdge and put a little sauce on it just before I give it to them.  I also do things that can have leftovers and that is what the baby and I eat the next day.

I also roast a bunch of veggies and keep it in the fridge.  This may be a way to let your Ellen try stuff without your DH having to eat it.   I give her pretty much every root veggie and she loves them all.

The big fav in our house is roasted chicken with potatoes, carrrots, rutabaga, sweet potatoes roasted in the same pan.  I do leg 1/4 (leg and thigh) because the meat is juicier and EL loves it!!

So take a baking dish, cut your veggies into the bottom toss with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, then place the chicken 1/4 on top I put a little salt and pepper on that too.  put about a cup of water in the pan, cover with foil, bake at 425 for 30min, take off foil and bake for 30 more min.  You can turn the chicken but you don't have to.  If you want crispier skin and veggies, don't cover with foil. 

El will eat that for every meal if I let her!!

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:45 am »
Thanks, that sounds great! I'll try it!

And BTW, I'm not here to complain about cooking and such, I know that's not what this thread is about. I want to follow along b/c you all seem to have so much fun with it and I think hearing all your experiences and ideas will motivate me and make me see it can be fun!!

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2010, 02:51:40 am »
Sarah that sounds yummy!!!

Megan BLW makes you become more adventurous in the kitchen! Maybe your DH should do the cooking instead!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2010, 15:31:59 pm »
Sarah- that does sound yummy!  I'm not much of a cook- but I can handle that recipe!  

I haven't introduced any carbs yet- other than the rice cereal I had him on for a few days before I found out about BLW.  I'm trying to avoid common allergens since T had some food interolerances through my breastmilk.  I am avoiding wheat, eggs, dairy, nuts, fish, shellfish, and corn.  Do you think he would eat rice cereal if I just put some on his tray?  I am already finding bits of food in his poo- fun times!  He is really liking bananas!  I have to say, he loves when it is time to eat.  He gets excited to be in his seat because he knows it's time to eat!

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2010, 15:42:26 pm »
Marsha - yeah, I do let him do a lot of cooking. We're usually both so tired at the end of the day that we just do simple stuff like spaghetti. And that's really my only sit down meal of the day but it's usually after she's in bed  :-\ She's starting to go to bed a bit later though, so I'll just start making dinner a little earlier I think. I think I'm just going to have to start cooking and if he wants it he can eat it and if not, he can find something for himself... :)

Megan

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2010, 18:08:55 pm »
Well we were not really planning on BLW but it turns out DD has other ideas. After a few days she was grabbing the spoon off us and feeding herself (albeit very messily!). Now she is having a lovely time with pieces of banana and pear and just tried bread to suck.
I'm veggie (since aged 9!) but want DD to have meat in  her diet-just nervous as have never cooked meat (other than sausages and burgers etc). Am going to make DH be the 'tester' for everything! Is chicken a good one to start with?

Will be looking for tips from all you ladies!

Ruth

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2010, 19:25:03 pm »
Amy, dry rice cereal doesn't sound too appealing to me...  Could you do puffed rice cereal instead?  I know our local health food store has puffed quinoa, barley, millet, rice, etc.  It can be hard to handle even in that form, so mixing some up in mashed potatoes works well (sounds kind of gross, but if you don't overdo the cereal and put in some spice it tastes pretty good and has a nice texture...)

Ruth, chicken is an easy meat to deal with but if you're nervous about it, why not try fish?  White fish, like talapia, in packets with some thin sticks of veggies with some olive oil and spice (and orange slices for flavour- mmmm!) are really easy to prep and you can freeze the left overs for later.  And the fish breaks apart really easy.  Chicken can be a bit harder to chew/gum at the beginning in my experience, unless you go for ground chicken which is super easy to form into patties and fry up on the stove and freeze to keep on hand.
~Stef~