Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62425 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:11 pm »
The mess never improves really, it just changes. DD eats yogurt with a spoon perfectly, even spooning it off her face when she's missed! Then she'll turn the pot upside down and bang it on the table to make pretty circles  Or the spoon/ dinner gets thrown/ dropped in protest. Although the best of all is tipping the plate up and watching everything slide off
Yep, we get this behaviour with T too.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 18:02:38 pm »
DS got sooo made today when I tried to turn his spoon around to dip it into his yogurt.  So I got out another spoon and showed hima nd then he had 2 spoons and was doubly angry when he was finished and I wanted to take them away.  Yikes. 
In other news, we tried eggplant but he didn't seem to like it.  Might have been what I put on it?  Any suggestions for how to bake/cook it and with what?  I used a small italian eggplant.
~Stef~

Offline inoella

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 21:18:17 pm »
Hmmm... I need to get that towel bib!

goblin - i've tried soaking up yogurt on toast - several kinds - and she's just not interested. I can't think of anything else for her to soak stuff up with?

About eggplant - sorry in advance if TMI - when DD was about a month my brother and sil visited and sil made the best best best fried eggplant something or other dish (waaaaaaay too complicated and time consuming for me to make!!! lol!!!). I loved it but finally realized that  every time I ate it DD had worse explosive poops (btw - they were always bad until about a month ago but even worse with the eggplant). Soooo, I was wondering if any of you think it would still bother her?
*Jaci*

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 21:44:45 pm »
Jaci the only way to find out is to give her some! You might find it just comes out completely undigested! DD had a few things that went through whole, raisins being the last, now she's making up for last time!

As for the yogurt we give Fromage frais (sp?) as it's less watery! Or you could give a small bowl of fruit chopped up in the yogurt? It's still messy but some will get eaten with the fruit!

Whatbit just keep it plain, or how you would eat it (watching any added salt) just keep it chunky enough for little hands to grasp!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 00:30:37 am »
I did olive oil, cilantro and cumin.  He really likes those spices in other foods, so... Maybe because I broiled it and it got really soft?  Maybe I should try stir frying it next time to keep it more 'solid'.

I also mix yogurt with couscous and cumin sometimes.  It's really thick that way and sticks to the spoon when DS grabs it from me!!  He can also kind of pick up the blobs with his hands if they fall on his tray.
~Stef~

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 19:08:16 pm »
Hi all-
I have just found the link and have to go back to PP, but I wanted to tag along.

I have just started DD on some solids, but I am VERY interested in BLW.  DS at 17 mo still is not eating super great...good enough but not great.  He has major texture isssues that I really think came from only having the purees and "baby" type foods.
Thanks

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 19:18:50 pm »
Hi Sarah. My DD was weaned purely with BLW, the only things she doesn't eat are eggs (in any form) and leafy stuff like lettuce! She will try everything! BLW is the way ahead. x
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 19:58:53 pm »
I will have to back up a little more to the last group of pages, but how did you all start?  With Rice cereals, and then just start giving bits?
DD is starting food altogether early, but she LOVES to eat food.  It was recommended by our Dr. so I am feeling ok with her eating solids since basically 4mo.

Is there a book, or some other place I can get some direction?  Like I said DS is VERY limited in what he will keep in his mouth.  Although, in retrospect, at 6mo he did not eat nearly as well as DD did at 4mo.  On first try with food she was opening her mouth for the spoon and started saying mmmmm.  It was crazy compared to DS who still spits out more than he eats some days I swear!!  And meat-forget it!!  He will eat bits of sausage but that is it!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 20:07:14 pm »
Sarah, there is an actual book all about BLW I think by the woman who started it, I'll look into it for you later tonight when I have more time.

I did both.  I started with purees then incorporated the finger foods in by 7mos as T did really well with both.  But he never stayed on real purees for long as he always liked different texture.  We did a bit of rice cereal but TBH it was never a hit and stopped with it after only a few weeks anyway.  Just a lot of experimenting for us.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 20:58:08 pm »
I got the book! Baby led weaning: Helping your baby to love good food. By Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett. It answered all my questions and is very informative, although it made me VERY anti puree!
 DD has never had a single puree. For that I was met with a lot of resistance from the 'old school' brigade who would 'tsk' at the thought of feeding a baby solid solids from the get go! A year after we started my FIL said 'we were waiting for this 'idea' to fail' It's nice knowing we had such support! Mind you, even my friends looked down their nose at me! But I enjoyed leaving DD to feed herself some of my lunch while I ate at the same time, my friends had to spoon feed their tubs of disgusting gloop and then feed themselves! Admittedly I took longer to clean up afterwards, but that's the only drawback to BLW!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 22:04:16 pm »
So my best girlfriend...who knows nothing of BLW pretty much did BLW with her baby and had great success.  Her Baby is 3mo older than DS and she can eat anything.  She is at the age where she might not choose to eat something, but she will whereas DS lives on fruit and peas, carrots, corn and a few other things.  I keep trying like they say but it goes in and is back out in a nano second.  I would like to avoid this with DD.

Goblin-how old was your LO when you started giving her solids?

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 23:10:22 pm »
Could be that she is still very young and has the reflex of sticking her tongue back out of her mouth which would push the food back out, in any form.  It might take a while for that reflex to go away.  It's usually around the 5.5/6 month mark that it's completely gone, depending on the LO of course.

We started solids just before 6 months and started with chunky purees for about 3 weeks.  I found out about BLW here and started adding in finger foods right away.  It does take some time for LOs to figure out the coordination to get stuff off a tray or out of your hand to the mouth and then bite and 'chew' and swallow.  And yes, it's messy!  I thinkt he cleanest spot in the house is under DS booster because I wash it 3x/day!!  :)
~Stef~

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 00:10:37 am »
Could be that she is still very young and has the reflex of sticking her tongue back out of her mouth which would push the food back out, in any form.  It might take a while for that reflex to go away.
Sorry I was confusing, DD who is just starting eats great!!  It is the 17mo DS that spits it out so quick!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 01:39:15 am »
Sarah she was 26 weeks exactly! We were going to start a bit earlier but she had a bug so waited until she was better. She didn't have any coordination issues, after that first banana EVERYTHING was picked up and shovelled in, she was extremely easy to wean!
 I gave her practice with my hands from about four months old, she was grabbing my fingers and sticking them in her mouth! I have a brilliant series of photos eating her first food of a banana, her face goes from shock 'what is this thing?' to 'ah, tasty!' in minutes, very funny!

That's another thing I was being pressured about 'when to start?' Not by family but fellow mums! They had both started giving that wallpaper paste (baby rice) at about 15 weeks. One with the misconception that it would help her LO sttn, it didn't! DD had had a few nw'ings and they kept saying 'she obviously needs a little extra!' I just gave her more breast milk! As it was she napped better after I started so they were possibly right! But I had also discovered this forum when she was 23 weeks and was getting nap assistance!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 15:31:51 pm »
Just putting my spot in here, we are starting BLW soon!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones