Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62772 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2010, 13:07:16 pm »
Hm those are great ideas! I usually do some kind of spread but so far have only tried jelly or cream cheese but those others sound much healthier - especially more so than jelly!!

Megan

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2010, 13:15:59 pm »
Hey everyone!  Does catfood count a finger food?  JK!  My lo is not quite crawling, but is turning in circles on his belly.  I've caught him a few times now as he was about to eat the cat food!  :o :o

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2010, 13:25:29 pm »
lol that's cute. glad you caught him!!

Megan

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2010, 13:34:08 pm »
Hahaha!!  Dry or wet?  Wet cat food seems a lot more appealing but hey, he'll have glossy hair, right :)
~Stef~

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2010, 15:30:55 pm »
And healthy teeth ;D ;D ;D
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2010, 15:33:43 pm »
Ryan was too quick...he got into the dog food several times and would squirrel it in his cheek on me!  I would not have freaked out too much, but we had the "large breed" kind and they were the size of marbles!!   

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2010, 19:12:33 pm »
LOL DS got int the dog food more then once when he was a babe.....I think he actually ate some once, but could not be 100% sure  ;)

Alright we are back on the band wagon!  Have been for a while, but have not been online too much latey :P

Was wondering about monitoring what los put into their mouths.....My DD will take a steamed carrot, take small bites and chew, but not swallow and then repeat until her mouth is close to full and start gagging and spit it all out.  Should i cut it into small finger pincher peices or just let her deal with it?  Anyone else's los do this?

Also what kind of cracker do you guys give?
~Mary~

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2010, 19:35:33 pm »
Cadan loves pitta bread dipped in houmous. And the flavoured bread sticks. Ella's kitchen do orange and pear flavour ones.
I cut most things into bite sized pieces and give him 2 pieces at a time. H just recently started saying "mmar" when he wants more. So cute.
Cadan also head straight for the cat food and also eats any thing on the floor such as pieces of fluff or carpet or any food he has dropped that I missed. I am constantly fishing something out of his mouth.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2010, 20:41:54 pm »
Hehe I took Ellen out of the high chair a bit too early the other day and she went around the floor gathering up all her dropped cheerios and eating them!!

Re: crackers, I give her unsalted saltines, *occasionally* goldfish if I have them, graham crackers, and the other day MIL had some cookies that are called Maria's Galletas and they are very mild and the ingredients very good so I give her those too. They're kinda like shortbread cookies, but not quite as sweet. Basically anything that's not too sweet or too salty.

Megan

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2010, 20:54:54 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one with a kiddo looking for food on the floor!  Dry cat food btw.  Our cats aren't loved enough to get wet cat food lol!  Haven't given any crackers yet.  Still avoiding wheat just in case of allergy.  We are doing mostly meat, fruits, and veggies.  He is not too excited about the veggies.  Only seems to ingest the "sweeter" ones like carrots and sweet potatoes.  Meat gets tossed onto the floor almost immediately.  Takes after his mom- only likes fruits!  ::)  I'm hoping he'll develop a taste for the rest as I keep offering him everything.  I offer the fruit last too, hoping he'll get adventurous and eat his broccoli- but no.  I am a little hesitant to give lettuce and grapes.  I know I'm supposed to cut the grapes in half, but I still worry it might get stuck.  Tried pineapple today- he loved it (of course!)  I have also been giving him the mushy rice cereal and oatmeal I had originally bought before I found out about BLW.  I load a spoon for him and he puts it in.  It's really the only carbs he gets since I am avoiding wheat.  I've given him rice pasta, but it just winds up everywhere but in his mouth!  It is really nice to be able to just give him what we are eating.  I picked up a salad since we were out, and just gave him some of the large chunks from it.  So convenient!

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2010, 01:31:12 am »
timmysmommy - I don't give lettuce either. I probably won't until she's quite a bit older. Another carb you could give him is rice... it's messy, but he might like it. It's one of the few things Ellen will eat these days. She did try a piece of broccoli today though and chewed it for a while but it was too hard (it was the stem) and she ended up spitting it out. You could also cut the grapes into quarters the long way if you really want to give him grapes (and have the time!!) that way even if he swallowed them whole they probably wouldn't get stuck.

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2010, 02:02:13 am »
We worked at broccoli for awhile.  El just did not like the texture. Now she will munch both ends happily.  Her fave is asparagus though!  She also loves green peas. I buyy frozen ones and zap them for about 45sec and use those to give me some time to cut something up if I don't have something made. 

I give El salad and I was suprised that she liked it!  But there is not much she won't eat.  She is like our little garbage can! 

I realized the other day she may be eating too much solids.  The BLW book said give them until they stop. But I started payying close attention to how much she was actually swallowing and it was a lot! Like a whole banana and cheerios.  Then a half a medium pear and about a bthird to a half of an avocado.  Now if her tummy is the size of her fist, she filled it atleast three times over!

What do you guys make of that?

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2010, 03:50:54 am »
Sarah~ We call Myla our garbage can also! haha. And I am also worried that she eats to much. For breakfast she can eat 3 egg yolks, half a pear, a peice of toast, then lunch she eats even more then her 3 year old brother! Supper is her smaller meal of the day..but she still inhales alot. She's still drinking her 7oz bottles 4 times a day, so it's not interfearing with her milk in take, but it seems like she eats an awful lot! hmm? Curious to see responses..
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »
Usually LOs start to level out around the year mark (though I haven't experienced that yet)!  Until then, as long as the milk intake isn't being affected and you're offering a variety of fruits, veggies, protein and whole grains, let them at it :)  Unless your Dr. is concerned... DS ate waaaayyy more than a friend's 4 year old the other night when they were over for dinner.  And way more variety (everything I had made while her DD ate a bit of broccoli and maybe a spoon of chicken but later managed to get her mom to give her 2 pieces of cake!!!  Another issue there altogether I think...)
~Stef~

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2010, 14:40:33 pm »
Sarah S was a proper little dumpling by 9 months old! In fact she was only taking two proper milk feeds a day well before 1yo! It is 'baby' led weaning, let her at it! Be warned, clothes become a struggle!!! S is now fitting in clothes that were snug last Dec!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'