Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62644 times)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2010, 14:46:38 pm »
Well, my tiny bean needs all the help she can get!  At 7mo she is just now 15lbs...DS was already over 18lbs by this time.

I guess the only reason why I was even thinking about it was a few times I was wondering if she was giving herself a tummy ache from eating too much...I suspect it is hard to tell with reflux issues going on.

BTW Marsha-Nov 7-12 I will be in your boat sans DH!!!  I am not looking forward to it at all!!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2010, 14:59:07 pm »
Hugs Sarah, it's horrible on your own. At least you don't have a stroppy 2yo yet!

S was on the 25th centile until 18 weeks where she struggled on to the 50th. From 27 weeks she climbed in great leaps to the 98th, where she has stayed! Enjoy her while she's tiny and delicate, solids sound like they could be a time for change!
 I see all these gorgeous fashion winter boots that would look adorable, unfortunately when we tried some we couldn't even get them on her fat little feet! Now don't get me wrong she's not a tub of lard now, she's just not skin & bone! She LOVES her food, doesn't eat any rubbish (except chocolate). In fact she wouldn't eat my cupcakes until I took the icing off!!!

She can smell chocolate from across the room though, she is her mothers daughter in that respect! So it's all hidden for special treats!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2010, 21:58:56 pm »
ZOMG!! I can't believe your LOs eat so much and are so tiny!!!!!!!!  :o  :o Don't get me wrong, I think it's fabulous on both accounts!! Ellen was 14 lbs on her 2nd month birthday to put it in perspective to Sarah's 15lb 7mo!!! She's a whopping 22 lbs now and towers over every other baby under a year I've seen so far by several inches. She's as big as her 15mo cousin BOY!! And yet, I can barely get her to eat enough formula, let alone any solids!! Man I envy you guys!! How fun it would be if she would just eat!!!

BTW and along those lines, I've been wanting to get some input about that. I struggle to get 27 oz of FF into her every day - any less and I get hunger wakings. She refuses all but a few bites of solids - if that - even if I wait 3 hours from last feed before trying. I don't know whether I'm sabotaging myself by giving her so much FF, but if I don't, I'll get NW or EW for hunger... what do you all think - am I giving her too much FF and not giving her enough opportunity for solids?

She's almost 9mo.

Megan

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2010, 00:58:42 am »
btw Sarah - was looking at your blog pics and your babies are just so cute!!

Megan

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2010, 09:46:59 am »
Hey all!  :)

Just jumping on to see if I can get ideas from you to help with DS's eating....I've done a bit of BLW with both my LO's & luckily DD is a great eater but DS (nearly 10 mo) is pretty hard work!! I've tried pieces of fruit & veges & pieces of cooked meat etc but he just pulls faces..he had a bit of puree when he was younger but never really liked it. We've also tried him on un-seasoned versions of what we eat but just spits it out. The only thing he seems to like is yoghurt (would eat it all day if he could  ::)).

I really want him to like other foods but I'm running out of ideas!!
Sian

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2010, 12:52:40 pm »
Sianie, you and me are in the same boat!! I have noticed she does eat a *little* better if things are seasoned... she actually ate my meatloaf last night!! I was pleased as punch!! I just try not to give her things that are really heavily seasoned or have lots of chemicals/msg - not that she eats enough of anything to make a difference anyway, really ::)

Megan

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2010, 16:18:09 pm »
I use low-sodium baby stock cubes to add flavour without salt to DS's food.
Cadan hardly ate anything. I used to just feed him off my plate and not even notice. Just the last few weeks since turning 10mo he has started needing his own meal. He easily polishes off a full bowl of food for each meal now. It just came out of nowhere so I'm sure the same will happen with your LOs. He definitely eats more if I offer him a variety of foods too. When he gets sick of one I offer something else and he starts going again.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2010, 01:57:49 am »
Myla is over 20 lbs now at 7 months, she was 19 lbs 6 oz at her 6 month needles, so I'm assuming she's well over the 20 lb mark now! Baker at this age was already 26 lbs..yup 26 lbs!! He was HUGE! lol, but he evened out at 1 year at 29lbs and is still only 33 lbs at the age of 3( in 7 weeks)
So I'm not to concerned about her eating to much, but compared to other babies I know, she eats like a champ, and the moms look at me strange....especially with BLW..not alot of people understand why I give my 7 month old a chicken leg to munch on at dinner..lol
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2010, 02:31:34 am »
Well, I think DD is about 15-16lbs now.....Her brother was only that size at her age too (although to me she just seems bigger) and he is only 28lbs at 3 and has been for a long time  DD seems to eat a fair bit, but I am finding DH is giving her "inappropriate" foods  ::)  Yesterday he gave her one of those (disgusting) sour cream rings  :P And today I caught him feeding her big bites of cake off his plate!  I need to keep a closer eye on him I guess  ;)

How do you guys cook the meat?  I have been giving her mostly egg yolk and cheese for protein, and a little chicken, but not a leg! 
~Mary~

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2010, 03:51:35 am »
Megan-love the new avatar!!

Mary-The meat I give is usually slow cooked, roasted, or ground.  So roast chicken, stews, crock pot beef, meatloaf, that sort of thing.

Also just wanted to mention to Megan and Siane that a large portion of BLW is not just giving chunks of food, but the philosophy of why you let your LO feed themselves. (Hence the big chunks)  You are letting them explore food on their own terms without expectation.  This means some babies want to eat more things at 6mo, like my munchkin.  Other babes may need to explore until they are closer to a year.  (remember food before 1 is just for fun!)  So this means by giving them a variety of foods you are giving them the opportunity to decide when and how much they are going to eat.  It is the BLW phiosophy that a baby will eat what it needs if you let them eat when they want.  This leads to a healthier relationship with food later in life because they were not "forced" to eat food rather they were let to figure out how the food made them feel..ie, if I eat this my tummy feels full..if I put ALL of this in my mouth at once, I choke and I can't eat it.

This is why it is not encouraged to feed by spoon or to put chunks of food in the babies mouth if you are going to BLW.  It kind of removes the purpose of them learning about food at their own pace.

Also, I know Ellen is FF, this means that she tastes the same flavor at every meal.  So food to her is a big change and may take a little time to get used to.  BF babies get to taste food through what their mom eats (Megan-I mean no offense about your choice to FF...I know you were BF until you got preg)

The BLW book was very eye opening and a very fast read.  It took me just 2 or 3 days and I have NO spare time! 

I would say just keep offering and they will get what they need...mostly they just need to be able to experience the food often enough and before you know it they will be chomping away :)

HTH ladies...sorry so long winded

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2010, 03:53:25 am »
Megan-I forgot to thank you for your comment on my babies...I think they are just adorable too :)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2010, 04:11:54 am »
Mary I cook all my meat as tender as possible without being pink. That's some mean feat with my rubbish cheap oven (military house) my grill has two settings, on & off! It's taken a year to master it!

I totally agree with Sarah BLW is a natural progression. S has only just started eating eggs, it was the one food she wouldn't even pick up, most odd. Oh except lettuce, but I let her off eating leaves as she eats so much otherwise!

Oh be warned Sarah a big eater = big poop! Yesterday morning S nappy was so full a big chunk fell
out on the mat when I changed her :-X I'm looking forward to her eating less and pt'ing!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2010, 04:45:41 am »
Haha..yes a big eater= big poops, I agree Marsha! Myla poo's 3-4 times a day!

Well I don't really give her the whole chicken leg, her fav recipie is to put chicken in the slow cooker with carrotts and potatoes and chicken broth. Then I pour itover rice ( we put lemon dilly sauce for ours, but she's MPI) so not for her. She will gobble up a whole chicken leg at that meal.  She's our meat eater, Baker still won't touch any meat besides chicken. I also use lean ground turkey and boil it to get the fat out and then stick it in the frying pan with a lil water and season with some Mrs.Dash lemon. I've yet to find anything this girl won't eat, although I'm a little bummed about her MPI, because I think she would enjoy cheese. She watches her brother eat it and she looks like she could jump out of her chair and steal his plate.lol
I'm looking for some new breakfast ideas....lately it's been egg yolks and toast, would love to do yogurt..but unfortunatly we can't find any milk free yogurt:(
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2010, 08:56:37 am »
Hi girls! Wanting to join you!! DS is 5.5 mos old, and loves puree (mostly parsnip/apple; carrot/parsnip) and would love to get him started on BLW... is it too early?! I have some parsnips and cooking apples (and getting pumpkins for cooking today!) - if I cut them into chunks and steamed until really soft, do you think that would be ok??

Marsha, is your Jack on BLW yet??

Sarah, I saw you were talking about a BLW book - which one are you reading?
♥ Kim

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:31 am »
Thanks ladies  ;)

Any suggestions on some more foods to try with DS, I'm a bit stuck?!

Hi Kim!
Sian