Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62431 times)

Offline Lola's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2010, 11:40:55 am »
Favourite meals here are anything in a tomato based sauce, like ratatouille, meat balls in a tomato sauce and, the all time favourite, chicken casserole, whch l put a tin of tomatoes in. She loves meat balls. I make them with lamb, beef, pork or turkey. She also loves pasta shells. Have to say the Annabel Karmel ones go down well. She picks up big handfulls of them covered in tomato sauce (not ketchup of course).
<:SOPHIE:>

My Angels in heaven, loved and never forgotten: October 2010 and December 2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »
Thanks Sophie!

DS has had a lot of our food & finger food (chunks of cheese, pitta bread, fruit & veg etc) but he doesn't really like putting it in his mouth...he'll pick it up & mash it on his food tray or hit his tray with a piece of carrot etc....I guess this is all part of BLW & he'll hopefully get the hang of it?
Sian

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2010, 15:04:58 pm »
I guess this is all part of BLW & he'll hopefully get the hang of it?
Yup!!  That is all part of it...the mess is the unfortunate part, but the more you let him play the more likely he will eat stuff in the future.

My first baby I did not BLW, I did traditional feeding and he now is the worst eater ever!!  He just now will pick new things up and put a tip of it on his tongue and make a face!  That is what led me to BLW, I did not want a repeat of him!  He still will not eat ANY meat.  I try and try and if some is ground enough in sauce it will get into him, but not by his choice.

Kim-I read Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food.  So insightful! It is kind of biased to no purees ever, but she does give fact and reason why you would want to avoid them.

Lisa-I feel your pain, Elise is MSPI which means we all are (she is still EBF)  I miss the casseroles I used to make and I long for a lasagna!

We are boring for breakfast. Normally fruit and toast or cherrios, or eggy toast

DS is super cute...he tried to share his cheese with his sister, I know she would have loved it but her tummy would have gone nuts!!  Yesterday he shared his peanut butter toast when I wasn't looking.  We had no reaction thankfully!  I had no interest in going to the ER at 6pm.  She loved it though and had PB all over her face

I am making a lentil stew with fall veggies for dinner tonight...DD will love it, DS probably won't touch it!!

Oh-Kim-El loves pumpkin.  I cut it into long wedges and roasted it with a little EVOO and left the skin on...then EL was able to get a good hold on it and would toss the empty rind over the side of her high chair...super cute.  I think I started her a little early around 5.5mo as I had not read the BLW book.  They recommend no solids until 6mo and then go directly to chunk food.  She was so interested in food and had already been swiping it off my plate, so I kind of thought she might be ready.

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2010, 18:28:58 pm »
Thank you, Sarah! I'm on the list to borrow it from the library!!

I bought some butternut squash, broccoli, carrots, and pumpkin from the farm today...very excited!!...but first, a highchair!

NOW. I know I'm a lazy cow, but I'm going to cover it up with my need for control: puree I can make in batches ahead of time and freeze it in portions making it easy to take out one frozen (heart shaped!) blob of puree and set it on the counter to defrost for later in the day... with BLW, is all the food cooked/softened? And if so, can you make any ahead of time? I don't really want my nanny doing it...I'd rather just make some that she feed to him later... but I work full time and don't have the time to do this! (I leave the house at 7am 3/5 mornings and dont come back until 6pm 3/5 nights...)

ANY TIPS??

(and I do encourage Jack to get involved in his puree with his hands and try to show him how to put his hands in his mouth to eat it, but oh well!)
♥ Kim

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2010, 19:39:12 pm »
Kim-you are already doing the hard work by doing the puree part. All you have to do now is not puree!  You can prep your veggies etc. by steaming or however you cook and then just freeze whole.  Set it out the same way or zap in the micorwave for a few seconds.  You can also not steam all the way and warm and finish by putting them to steam for a few minutes.  You also can do leftovers from dinners by freezing them and serving for lunch.  I make up little meatloaf chunks kind of elongated and then bake on a cookie sheet.  After they cool I put in a ziplock and freeze.  Also, already frozen things are always easy when things are crazy.  Frozen peas are a hit with both kids...helps with the teething.

All of the things you got from the market are great BLW foods.  This is honestly easier than doing purees.  I do give El my salad to chew on really anything I eat I give to her including the spices.  For her the spicier the better...and we love spice and hot food here!  I just use a light hand with salt or skip it if I am using a lot of other flavorings.

You could also take a day and pre-make a bunch of things for your family to eat and split them into small portions and freeze.  That way everyone can enjoy homemade meals.
HTH

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2010, 19:47:56 pm »
Sarah, you are a blessing!!! I've been starting to stress a little since reading all of this about weaning and what and how, etc! There is a weaning course on Wed next week, but I'm at work so I asked DH to go... and he will "try"... sigh.

I've got some time off the next few Fridays (and every Sat/Sun), so I think I'm going to give it a good bash! I liked the quote I read somewhere: before 1, food is for fun!  I think I'll try to just have some fun introducing the foods to Jack and letting him explore what to do with it.

Thank you!! I feel like a better mama!! :D
♥ Kim

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2010, 19:57:04 pm »
Thanks about the avatar Sarah. And no offense taken on the FF, it's not ideal, but it's just how it is. I'm also glad you said you feed her spices and all... I think Ellen likes a bit more flavor (did I already say she ate my meatloaf the other night?!? yay!) but no one ever seems to give their babies spices so I was second guessing myself on it.

Megan

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2010, 20:05:54 pm »
I have heard  ofit a million times in American films etc. but what actually is meatloaf? DS loves meatballs. Is it similar just in a loaf shape? And what, other than meat, would you put in it? Is the meat minced/ground?
Lisa - DS loves pancakes. Maybe you could do some of those for breakfast? You can also sneak pureed fruit and veg into the batter for extra goodness. I do a whole batch and then freeze them cooked. Then I just heat them up in the frying pan when ready to eat them. We also do lots of fruit like blueberries, strawberries, banana, grapes, pears etc.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2010, 20:06:35 pm »
Megan~ We give Myla spices! She loves them..sometimes I worry, but I usually use Mrs. Dash with no salt:)
We did BLW with our son Baker who is almost 3, and he was always a great eater until he hit about 2.5 ( which I'm sure is just his age rather then pcikiness). He will eat anything though, and I say BLW had a big part of it. He loves Oysters and always goes for sushi with me too. I'm hoping Myla follows his footsteps and will eat anything. My DH is a picky puicky eater and does not eat any meat what so ever and will nto even touch a fruit or vegetable. Needless to say we eat alot of pasta and 2 meal dinners at our house!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2010, 20:10:44 pm »
Cadie's mom~ do you make milk free pancakes? Myla is MPI, and I can't find a good pancake recipie without milk.
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2010, 20:19:52 pm »
Oh sorry I didn't realise about the MPI Lisa. Can she do soya? Or what about oat, quinoa, coconut or rice milk? Can you just replace the milk with one of these alternatives?
Or what about these: (I haven't trie dthem myself)
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/111631/milk-free-pancakes

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2010, 20:23:29 pm »
Yes, meatloaf is a lot like meatballs. I use a pound of ground hamburger, an egg, a handful of crushed saltines, a squirt of ketchup, a squirt of Worcestershire, and then salt and whatever other spices you want. And yes, you shape it into a loaf and put it in a loaf pan (like the kind you'd use for bread). Bake it at 375 for an hour or til the pink is gone.

Megan

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2010, 20:27:03 pm »
Thanks Megan. I had to look up what saltines were but I'm with you now. I might just make some next week.

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2010, 20:29:59 pm »
my mom used to always put oatmeal flakes instead of saltine crackers.

oh how i miss saltine crackers!
♥ Kim

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2010, 20:34:46 pm »
I usually put breadcrumbs in meatballs so might try that as I usually end up throwing the bread ends away.