Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62429 times)

Offline sianie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2010, 20:40:57 pm »
Ooo, what are they?

I always use breadcrumbs in meatballs etc too...
Sian

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2010, 20:56:15 pm »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2010, 03:50:17 am »
So we have gone mad with meat! lol DD had pork and salmon today!  Tended to pocket the salmon in her cheek, but it eventually got all the way down  ;) 

I use breadcrumbs in my meatloaf (not that I make it often) and my MIL uses rice in hers.  We made some amazing pulled pork sandwiches today (new recipe and it worked well) and tommorrow I am making gyros with chicken.  I given Aven all the spices, just dont add salt when I cook.  I use epicure spices alot which are low or no sodium....
~Mary~

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2010, 04:50:49 am »
Thanks so much for that recipie. I'm going to make them tomorrow morning!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2010, 14:55:11 pm »
Whoa chatty ladies ;D

Hey Kim BLW is such fun! Just buy the book it's currently £6.70 on Amazon & I assure you you'll read it more than once. Second hand copies on eBay too! Although I've just noticed that Gill Rapley has a BLW cook book, looks fairly new, I need to take a peek!!

If you haven't bought a high chair get the simplest model you can find with as few nooks and crannies as possible. We've got the Chicco polly which is very retro but a pain in the t1ts to clean! The tray has a tiny lip where the two halves join and food gets wedged in, I used to go along it with a cocktail stick! I'm looking for a new chair for Jack.

No he's not started yet, looking like next week when DH is home!

Oh GTG S has just woken up!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2010, 15:05:17 pm »
Sarah I forgot to say were you worried about a nut allergy reaction? If so, if they have an issue it's the second time they have it that it's a problem!
 Hopefully she won't have, just thought forewarned is forearmed!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2010, 15:34:22 pm »
DD just starting to get the hang of BLW!! Still occasionally takes a spoonful of puree but mostly she prefers it if I use a bit of bread or rice cracker as a dipper. Going to try pasta- have bought cannoloni as thought bigger would be easier but may be a bit wobbly?

I really like the idea of pancakes for breakfast-definately going to try that!

re highchairs- ikea does a good one for £15. lots of cafes have them and I know several people who say they rpefer them to the more expensive ones as the legs detach for trasnporting and very easy to clean!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2010, 16:00:21 pm »
Ok experienced BLW mummies, here I am to pick your brains.  ;)  Looks like F has no interest in being spoon fed.  Which is fine, I'd like to do BLW with him.  I've tried giving him a piece of pear and a piece of banana with no interest, but he loved munching on a melba toast I tried today.  What's that trick you use for slippery foods, is it rolling them in wheat germ?  So, what are some good things to start with?  I'm feeling a little lost as to what to give him.  Thanks.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2010, 16:21:45 pm »
Hi Martina!  Welcome to BW!  I bought the BLW book which gives some good info on getting started if you still have questions after your post. 

Just a heads up- F will prob gag on some food. Babies gag reflux is near the center of their tongue so if large pieces get to that place, they gag which is their way of moving the food back to the front of their mouths.  It is not the same as choking, and you don't need to do anything!  Choking is when they get food stuck and can't breathe.  BLW is supposed to make choking LESS likely as the lo's learn to chew first (versus swallowing mushy foods, then learning to chew later).

It was recommended to me to start with fruits and vegies. 

You want to do big pieces- so when you give F the pear, give him the whole pear so he can really get ahold of it.  With fruits I give the whole thing on apples and pears.  I give him half a banana.  You can roll foods in things to make them less slippery. I haven't needed to do that with T yet.

With the veggies the food needs to be in a stick shape so that F can grasp it and still have some sticking out of his hand.  Veggies steamed or roasted in the oven are good.

Meats are good stewed or slow cooked so they are juicy and tender.  So far T's favorite foods are apples, pears, bananas, carrots, and sweet potatoes. 

If you want to do something mushy, you can give them a preloaded spoon and let them put it into their mouth, but it is really not highly recommended.  I do it anyway since I need to get some carbs into my little guy and I am avoiding wheat and other potential allergens. 

If you want to do bread, toast it so it doesn't get too sticky in their mouths.

Cut grapes or cherry tomatoes in half so they don't choke.  Wait on more difficult foods like lettuce or anything sticky.

I usually give one piece of each food to start so it doesn't all wind up on the floor.  He doesn't eat everything at every meal.  Sometimes he just plays with it.  Other times he eats a lot.

Here is what I offered T yesterday (he didn't actually eat all of it!)
Breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon and banana
Lunch: chicken, carrots, apple
Dinner: rice pasta, cauliflower, green beans, pear

HTH!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2010, 16:55:11 pm »
lol Amy, thanks for your help!  I should have been more specific.  I'm familiar with getting started with solids and doing finger foods as I did it with T.  He didn't do strictly BLW because he enjoyed purees, but was on finger foods early and did well with them.  I know about the gagging reflux, etc., it doesn't worry me.  I guess I was just looking for tips on what to do first, and specifically what to use to roll slimy foods in.  Is it wheat germ?  I do have to be careful to stay away from dairy, but that shouldn't be hard.  I want to just do what I did with T and give him whatever, but F is a little more sensitive so I'm going to go more slowly.  By the time T was 8mos he was eating just about everything under the sun!  He never had any intolerances or a sensitive tummy though. 

I was looking for the book at the library but they didn't have it.  I'm going to check and see if they can get it in from another location, just so I have more to work with.

Generally though I love doing solids, had a blast when T started.  Don't know why I'm feeling so displaced this time around, but I think it must be because of F's reflux and intolerances.  Once we get past the start I'm sure we'll be fine.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2010, 16:58:37 pm »
Martina I sometimes roll the slimier foods in baby cereal...it binds pretty well and gives them a better grip. I've never tried wheat germ, but that would probably work just as well.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2010, 17:05:48 pm »
A lot of baby cereals have dairy so I have been avoiding them.  I did find a kind that was dairy free, but it still seemed to bother F's tummy so I stopped using that as well.  Sometimes I think I am just being overly paranoid about his tummy issues!  I swear you second guess far more the second time around than you did with your first, I just blindly gave T everything and never worried about whether or not it hurt his tummy!  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2010, 18:32:49 pm »
Thanks Marsha! I noticed the cookbook to - it's not quite out yet, but I have noticed that my library have pre-ordered!! :D

Tried some BLW today, but he doesn't really understand it... he couldn't figure out how to hold the butternut squash in his fist and eat at the same time... so I ended up giving him some puree off my finger, but let him come to me IYSWIM. That went well! He ate every bite! (Carrot & parsnip) If he got some on his hand, I tried to encourage him to slurp it off his hand... I think it's keeping the principle of it...maybe!

I've roasted some of the butternut squash sticks with our dinner of carribean style chicken... is that ok? It's adding a bit of flavour by soaking up all the juice of it all...

If that is ok to do, can I just refrigerate/freeze the sticks and then reheat as/when?
♥ Kim

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2010, 20:16:38 pm »
Martina - I haven't rolled her stuff in anything, but I've heard of people doing wheat germ, or maybe crackers? I've also heard it said that if you just let them try to get the slippery stuff, they won't do very good at first, but they'll catch on really quick and figure out how to get it.

Amy - you give whole apples and pears? Fresh and raw? Also - have you tried regular rice for carbs (white or brown)?

Ellen has actually been eating what I've given her in the past few days!! YAY!! I think the difference has been I've actually been making dinner ::) and making it earlier so she eats WITH us, and also just giving her whatever we're eating, spices and all.

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2010, 21:56:17 pm »
Martina the way I see it is if it's too slippery for them to pick up or hold they're not ready to eat it! Some foods I would hold out and S would take them off me. Other food I left some skin on, although a rather large chunk of avocado skin made it out the other end!
 What slippery food are you trying?

Kim if the food isn't long enough for it to stick out of their hand they won't be able to eat it. It takes ages for them to grasp opening their hands & eating it without dropping! Or in most cases it takes a while to figure out this toy actually tastes different from plastic & takes that feeling away from his tummy!

I was watching S eat her cereal this morning, she happily spooned the milk out of the bowl that she had tipped up to get at it! Apparently her use of cutlery is well in advance of others ;D
Formerly 'The Goblin'