Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62798 times)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:18 am »
Amy we just didn't give S apples as she couldn't so anything with them. Then one day she crawled over to DH stole his apple and started munching on it! She just needed those top teeth.

Oh and I can't wait for solid related poops! I'm sick of constantly having to change his clothes because it's leaked up the back. No nappy seems to contain it! I never forget the day S had her first solid poop, so much easier to clean. Now they just make me want to throw up, I wish she would pt already!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2010, 17:35:02 pm »
We have really soft mac apple and I just give her small sections and she takes bites and chews  :) I steamed the pears tho, I have not tried them in a while tho so maybe she could handle it.

Eloise~ How do you serve your beans? Are they canned or cooked?

Sarah~  How do you know when a avacodo is ripe enough?  I have never eaten one  :P but bought some for A, how do you serve it? 

I think the forzen bluberries are a great idea!  I will have to find some.... Do you guys freeze freash ones or they come frozen?

DD does not weight a lot (15lbs on our scale) but seems "concentrated" or something!  She seems sooooo heavy!  She is not pudgy or anything, but very solid  ;)
~Mary~

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2010, 18:37:32 pm »
Mary, you can get PC frozen blueberries at Loblaws or Superstore if there is one near you.  They come in a tub and are perfect for LOs.  Plus, you can wash and reuse the tubs.  ;)

F is doing well so far with the BLW.  He has been munching on apple, pear, banana, and carrot so far.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #243 on: November 05, 2010, 20:09:54 pm »
Mary-avocados can be really good, but really bad if they get mushy.  Basically I buy them hard as a rock and as soon as they give a little when you squeeze them it is time.  Run a kinfe around to split it in half, there is a large pit in the middle, then give a little twist.  This will give you two halves, one with a pit.  Hold the pit side in your hand and chop down into the pit (sounds scarier then it is) to lodge the knife blade into the avocado. Then twist your knife and the pit will pop out.  Then I just run a knife long way down the inner flesh to make thirds.  Then use a spoon to run along the inside of the flesh.  The skin is quite bitter so stay away from getting that involved if you can.  I started with spear shapes and have moved to chunks for El.  You can the flesh with some salsa if you like and make guacamole for chips as well.  Fun for the bigger ones to dip into

HTH

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2010, 20:23:49 pm »
We like to eat avocados with lime juice (yum!!!) or a bit of salt... for us adults that is ;D

Megan

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2010, 20:26:15 pm »
Avocados are also nice mashed & mixed with either banana or cream cheese & spread on bagels/toast etc......
Sian

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2010, 21:43:06 pm »
my favourite (for me!) is sliced avocado with salt rolled in a flour tortilla. mmmm!

or they used to serve an "ABST" Avocado, Bacon, Spinach, Tomato wrap at a lovely restaurant I used to go to.... delicious!!!

I bought 2 avocados today for Jack to try!! Can't wait!
♥ Kim

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2010, 21:51:05 pm »
Avocados get eaten a lot around here too, though still figuring out how to get some to F.  I think I wait until they're too squishy.  I used to mash them for T with banana, pear, or blueberry.  They're good in smoothies too.  It's a superfood, lol.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2010, 22:08:26 pm »
We don't do apples either as Cadan can't seem to manage the crunch and just spits it out once it breaks up in small chunks.  He can do pears which I just peel and cut into quarters lengthways. But the pears have to be ripe or he spits it out and gags lots.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2010, 08:43:05 am »
ok guys sorry if asked before,  how are you douing meats as finger foods?

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2010, 17:56:13 pm »
Meatballs are great.  You can mix in all kinds of herbs and even veggies if you and and you can do all kinds of meat and they are easy to prepare in advance and freeze!  We also did long thin strips of chicken and fish.
~Stef~

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2010, 18:57:07 pm »
We do a lot of stew type meat.  About 1" chunks are perfect.  El loves lamb.
For chicken, I slow roast it and then I guess peel it into strips for lack of a better reference.  I guess going with the grain of the meat is another way to put it.

We also do meatballs and meatloaf.  Porcupine meatballs are always a favorite...meatballs with rice and onion in them slowly cooked in a sauce.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2010, 13:48:48 pm »
I think we call that "torn" over here Sarah. I find it goes less stringy if we cut across the grain actually and Cadan can swallow it easier.
Cadan loves meatballs too. Now he is older I just cut the meat into bite sized chunks and he puts the whole thing in his mouth, gums and swallows. As your little guy is younger Eloise you might want to keep it bigger so he can suck bits off I guess.
We went to an Indian wedding yesterday and Cadan ate pretty much everything. I just took a cover-all bib with arms and let him have chucks of everything. He did really well. Found out he loves tofu.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #253 on: November 07, 2010, 14:48:22 pm »
Ali-that is so awesome!  I can't wait to have Indian food again and I am hoping the kids will love it too.  It is one of my fav types of food, but they use so much butter that I can't have it until my little girl's tummy settles down some.

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #254 on: November 07, 2010, 15:58:23 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I will have to get those avacados out before they get too mushy  ;) Martina, I will have to get the blueberries when I come see you, we dont have those stores around here  ;)

A seeems to manage with everything the same way we eat it, the other day DH made HM hamburgers and made two tiny ones for her.  Even tho they were bbq'd she did well with them.  A little harder on the outside then when meatballs are slow cooked etc, but she seemed to make it work!  Today we made crepes with friut inside for bf and DD muched hers down while DS just sat there and looked at his! lol He drives me insane! He was basically BLW`d and still hates to eat.....just too busy, always wants to be going somewhere or doing something better  ;)

~Mary~