Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62808 times)

Offline sianie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2010, 21:13:01 pm »
Hi all....

We're still not doing too great with E's eating. Got the BLW book Sarah recommended which has been really helpful but despite trying lots of different foods he just isn't that interested & most of the time pulls a 'what on earth is this??!!' face when he puts things in his mouth. Am I just being really impatient? I'm just worried that he's not eating enough food & at just over 10 mo doesn't seem to be getting any better  :(
Sian

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2010, 21:35:05 pm »

I still think hold tight and keep offering. 
Does he have a milk habit?? If he is on the higher side of milk intake he may be filling hi?self so much he just isn't in the mood.  Also, some take longer than others to get it.  Is he FF or BF?

Are you trying consistently or kind of just hit and miss

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2010, 21:54:53 pm »
Hey Sarah  :)

He's on 3 milk feeds a day one around 7am/2pm/BT & has solids at 8am-ish/12pm/5pm so I don't think he's taking too much milk(he's now FF). He doesn't do too bad at breakfast, he likes picking up Cheerios & will suck on some toast & fruit.

Trying to be as consistent as I can....we all eat together as well (me DD & DS most days with DH at work). I'm just so worried he's maybe turning into a faddy eater already!
Sian

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2010, 17:17:51 pm »
Think I lost my post.  I think I will have to give up blw.  Long story short MIL freaked out and DH said it makes him nervous too.  So after 4 weeks of BLW, I think I have to throw in the towel.  MIL is a nurse and was so upset she cried.  She is really a good mil- she doesn't usually interfere, but she is worried he is going to inhale food.  Since dh is not supportive, I think I'm going to go with mush. :(

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2010, 17:33:35 pm »
Oh Amy!! I'm so sorry to hear that!! You sure are a lot nicer than I am!! When will they be comfortable letting him eat on his own?

A lot of people seem to be telling me that I better hurry up and start getting her to eat more solids or she'll be a fussy toddler... but isn't the point of BLW that they do it on their own pace? And why do people say she'll be a fussy toddler *because* she's not eating now? Why isn't it that she's not eating now *because* she's already fussy (or is just not interested yet?) Is it b/c right now she'll comply easier whereas when she's two, she'll be more obstinate?

Sian - as you can tell from above, we're not doing to good either. Although today, she did eat about 1/2 an egg for breakfast. I had to feed her tho - she had it on her tray so she could eat it herself, but she didn't even touch it. But then when I fed her, she ate it. She seems to take much more if I'm feeding her from a fork.

Megan

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2010, 18:19:51 pm »
Goodness Amy, that is really kinda sad.   :'(  Why can't people just trust our judgement as mummies?  Will either of them be willing to read the book, or at least parts that you feel are important?  Well, I can understand respecting their input, but TBH they should respect yours as well.  Afterall, I'll bet you're the only one whose read about this stuff.  I have told my DH that until he reads up on any aspect of parenting, he can't judge how I would like to do things.  Another thing too is I know that MIL's opinions are important, and that those especially who have been in the medical field think they know all, but a lot of the information they have is dated and no longer applies.  Listen, this is your child's eating habits we're talking about, don't settle for mush if you don't think it's what's best for him.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2010, 18:23:38 pm »
I have told my DH that until he reads up on any aspect of parenting, he can't judge how I would like to do things.  ... Listen, this is your child's eating habits we're talking about, don't settle for mush if you don't think it's what's best for him.

I feel this way too - which is why I say that you're nicer than I am!! And I just came back to say that I wasn't trying to be snarky when I asked when they'd be comfortable with it... I was just curious.

Megan

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2010, 18:30:32 pm »
Another thing too Amy, is what are they really worried about, choking?  Because BLW aside, even babies who do purees are ready for finger foods by 7mos.  So you can do both now anyway, even if you do purees I don't see why you can't include finger foods since Timmy is 7mos.  You tell them that allowing a baby to experiment with foods using their hands improves their hand eye coordiation and helps with their development.  It's important in other ways other than just eating!  ;)

The book even says that letting them learn how to eat by themselves actually LESSENS the chances of choking because they learn how to efficiently move the food around in their mouths.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2010, 18:55:17 pm »
And I've heard that their gagging reflex is further forward at this age than it will be later to help keep them from choking... so this also lessens the chance of them choking b/c they learn to maneuver food while they have that safety net in place.

Megan

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2010, 20:19:36 pm »
Afterall, I'll bet you're the only one whose read about this stuff.  I have told my DH that until he reads up on any aspect of parenting, he can't judge how I would like to do things.  ...  Listen, this is your child's eating habits we're talking about, don't settle for mush if you don't think it's what's best for him.

^^^ THIS. THIS. THIS. ^^^

I totally support you, Amy, whatever you choose to do (not that it's my support that matters!). BLW is completely safe, if an adult is on hand. As it says in the book, people have been doing BLW for centuries - it's only recently that they've decided that mush is the way forward!

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is the way that our bodies were intended to learn how to eat (I am a religious person, so I feel that this is the way that God has created our bodies to eat).

For me, it's not coincidence that babies at 6 months have the physical capability to pick up foods and put them in their mouths and that at the same time, their digestive system is now able to handle it. And then when they develop the pincer grip, they're also developed enough not to choke on what they've picked up, etc... to me, it's science.
♥ Kim

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2010, 21:15:25 pm »
as you can tell from above, we're not doing to good either. Although today, she did eat about 1/2 an egg for breakfast. I had to feed her tho - she had it on her tray so she could eat it herself, but she didn't even touch it. But then when I fed her, she ate it. She seems to take much more if I'm feeding her from a fork.

Half an egg is good going for a 9mo in my eyes. If Cadan ate 1/4 an egg now I would consider that an OK meal. He rarely eats a whole one. I really find variety helps as he'll eat a little of everything which adds up to a lot.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2010, 21:47:24 pm »
just thought I'd throw in my mantra of late:

BEFORE 1, FOOD IS FOR FUN!!!

Take a deep breath, girls, and try to relax! :D
♥ Kim

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2010, 22:04:35 pm »
OMG Amy that is so sad! I can't agree strongly enough with what everyone else has said. Did you know that spoon fed babies are more likely to choke than babies weaned this way? They learn so much faster if allowed to learn themselves first hand.
 J has been trying foods since Wednesday, a few bits have gone down the wrong way and he's quuietly gagged it back up!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give in, make them read the book. TBH T may not let you spoon feed him anyway, so you may not be able to switch.

My FIL said last year that he didn't agree with BLW and thought I would fail miserably, he never said a word though and thankfully kept his opinions to himself. He now admits that BLW is the best way to wean and tells everyone with babies about it.

Well J has so far tried banana, pasta, tomato, roast chicken, potatos, broccoli, bread and potato waffle! I think there are a few others but I can't remember.
 He's taking to it ok, gets a lttle stressed that he can't pick it up and much prefers us holding a chunk of food for him to suck on! He's yet to get the idea.

bug_blues 70 (sorry I don't know your name) S never touched egg in any form until a month ago. She wouldn't even pick it up so sounds like you're little one is going ok.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2010, 22:10:59 pm »
Thanks, I have been pretty relaxed about it because I've heard that saying, but lately it seems a lot of people have been telling me that I need to start getting her to eat more solids. I appreciate all the advice and input - I'm not upset or offended at all about people telling me, b/c maybe I really do need to focus on it more, but I'm just wondering if it's really so much of a big deal. That and I have NO idea how to gauge how much she should be eating vs how much she is. If 1/2 an egg is good (or even 1/4) then maybe she's doing better than I thought (although she doesn't usually eat that much).

Megan

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2010, 00:20:01 am »
Just HAVE to share a funny moment with you.  Yesterday I made roast lamb and cut of a long strip against the grain and gave to K to suck on.  He LOVED it!  He sucked it so dry it was  like a dessicated peice of beef jerky when he was finished! It was very funny watching him with the  meat hanging out of his mouth down his chin, sucking away  :P