Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62807 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #315 on: November 19, 2010, 13:24:11 pm »
Yay Sianie!! That's great!

Megan

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #316 on: November 19, 2010, 19:53:51 pm »
Meditrina- thank you for the links.  Thank you for all of your input everyone!  I checked out the pics, and he is def. constipated.  He was going every day, so I didn't think it was constipation, but the pic of constipated poo is what he is having exactly.  He has been vomiting for the last 2 days on and off, and I think it is due to constipation!  I've called the pedi, and talked to a nurse.  They just said to give him apple juice.  So I've been reading online trying to find things to help.  I've done hot baths, massages, moving his legs, apple juice etc. He has only had BM for the last 2 days.  I hope he gets it all out soon!  He is making me worried!!  :'( 

Offline Lola's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #317 on: November 19, 2010, 20:51:06 pm »
Prunes can help and lots and lots of water. Bananas should definitely be avoided as they contribute to constipation. Dont worry too much. It'll pass and soon you'll have some runny poop to clean up.
<:SOPHIE:>

My Angels in heaven, loved and never forgotten: October 2010 and December 2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2010, 21:04:00 pm »
I've heard it's the seeds in the bananas, but not the fruit part that doesn't have seeds... anyone know if this is really true or not?

Megan

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2010, 22:36:07 pm »
what are your thoughts ladies.  K is constipated again!

I can't give prunes, juice - well,  any fruit except bannana and paw paw (we know about bannana and poo) due to his intolerances).  I am sprinkling 1/2 teaspoon physillium husks on his food.    Last time he was constipated the only way I got the poo out was to give him two doses of 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar in 30mls of warm water over a day, and it worked.  I have am uncomfortable with giving sugar to a baby,  (especially since this is 6 days later and I have to give it again) but I can't see any other safer or better alternative.  Any ideas????

I am also giving red kidney beans with 1 teaspooon of lentils with lunch, and then lamb with his dinner  ( I have to give him 2 x protein per day). He eats gluten free toast and porridge for breakfast and paw paw.  Lunch and dinner are swede/green beans/choko/stock  and sometimes gluten free pasta, with the protein.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #320 on: November 19, 2010, 23:01:10 pm »
Amy your description of Ts turds made me laugh, I've not heard poop called turds in years! Definitely try the prunes though and I've heard pears work well. My friend used to apply a small amount of Vaseline to aid passing, if you get my drift?
 Hey Eloise maybe avoid bread for a while, it certainly bungs me up!

Yay Sianie, it must be good to see him finally eat. I think J may take a while, unlike S who stuffed her face (and still does) from the get go!

Welcome Lisa.

I've heard it's the seeds in the bananas, but not the fruit part that doesn't have seeds...

Do bananas have seeds?
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #321 on: November 20, 2010, 00:06:06 am »
Bananas do have tiny black seeds if you cut them in half.  I have not seen a difference in cutting them out. But I can say from experience that they constipate some lo's (Ry) and not others (El)

Eloise can you give sweet potatoe? That cleans out both my babes in about a days time and puts them back on track.

Also, if they are constipated and BFing, go bover how much water you have been drinking.  El had rabbit turds for 2 days and I realized I had not had nearly enough to drink!  I drowned myself with water and we were back on track.

HTH

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #322 on: November 20, 2010, 00:35:58 am »
Two foods that always pass through really quick here (as in only a few hours later!) are carrots and corn... Not sure how much they would help with the constipation, but possibly give a try if nothing else is working?
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #323 on: November 20, 2010, 02:49:46 am »
From what I understand bananas are good for constipation and diarrhea  ??? Could they make that more confusing?? lol

They water is really inportant like Sarah said.  If ff or drinking from sippy add more and see if it helps (I had a friend who literally had to pull poo from her los bum and it was all related to water, she added more h2o to her milk and voila! no more poo issues) 

Pears are really good here.  Is the physillium a bulk builder? (absorbs water in the colon)  Cuz it will only help if K is getting enough liquid.  Can you give mineral oil to babies?  To lubercate from the inside out?  :P 
~Mary~

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2010, 04:27:02 am »
Thanks ladies!  That's quite a few ideas for me to try.  I don't drink enough water at all  :( 
Unfort he can't have any of those veges.

The physillium husk is a stool softener and gentle fibre.... does that mean bulk builder too?
Where would one get mineral oil?

Will announce when we get a poo  ::)

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2010, 10:37:29 am »
Eloise - I use milled flaxseed sprinkled onto E's breakfast (not sure if K can have this?) but as well as being a superfood (high in Omega 3 & 6 etc) it's really high in dietary fibre & it really helps with E's BM's as he has a tendency to get constipated!

Otherwise have you offered him cooled boiled water?
Sian

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2010, 12:43:31 pm »
You should be able to find mineral oil at any pharmacy.
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2010, 13:32:37 pm »
Hi girls! Just thought I would catch up!! Welcome, Lisa! Hope we can help you find what you might be looking for!

Speaking of poo - we are QUITE the opposite. LOTS of very very runny poos... I'm thinking attributed to teething? It's also making this bum a bit sore, maybe from passing so much saliva? Thoughts?

Eloise, you've completely thrown me off kilter with your super organised "2 x protein" etc... I just give lots of veg, some cheese, some pasta, some meats willy nilly! Oh my...

Discovered asparagus today! Quite an ideal size for BLW, I think. He had 2 spears with his lunch and some red leicester cheese. Not so interested in tomato or carrot or cucumber, but the point is making it available really, isn't it?
♥ Kim

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2010, 13:41:27 pm »
I think that physillium is a bulk builder, which are great laxatives since poo is easier to pass if bulky ;) You just need to make sure that you and K get enough liquids, since it does absorb water while passing through the colon, and can actually bung you up more.  Just make sure you guys are drinking enough.  If you dont drink enough water, maybe herbal tea?  Remember that all liquid counts towards you fluid intake, not just water (although it would be the best) Anything with caffiene will also act as a diuretic and make your body get rid of more fluid.  

Kim~ I will have to try asparagus! I love it, I am sure DD will too.  I would maybe wait a few days and reoffer the foods that lo is not interested in, just keep offering healthy foods  :)  I dont know about the runny poos, neither of my kids got diarrhea when teething, but I have read that it is d/t excess saliva.
~Mary~

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2010, 13:50:06 pm »
F has been enjoying asparagus.  :)

No poop issues here.  Both boys have always been proficient poopers.  :P  F woke us up to a lovely poop filled diaper this morning!  So I don't have any good tips I'm afraid, but looks like you've been getting a lot from everyone else Eloise!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012