Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62804 times)

Offline timmysmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2010, 20:26:24 pm »
Well ladies, I gave him apple juice yesterday.  Nurse said I could give him up to 7 ounces.  I think he drank about 5.  We have had exploding poop ever since!  I am so relieved.  Also, DH and I now have the stomach flu, so his vomiting, that I thought was due to constipation, was really a stomach virus.  So DS is better, the adults are feeling really rough right now though. 

Here are a few sites I found helpful:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081100.asp
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/constip.htm

I guess no more bananas for DS :(  He loves them!    I have been strictly BFing him, and I haven't given him any solids in a few days since he was vomiting.  I think we'll try a pear tonight! Good Luck Eloise!!

Also- DS get diarrhea if he eats something that irritates his tummy.  His poo will be green and mucousy.  Hopefully your lo has normal watery poo!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2010, 21:04:27 pm »
Kim Metanium is really good for sore bums. I just bought some more for Cadan as he had an upset belly due to antiBs he was on for a chest infection. It looks like yellow paint when you put it on and is very water resistent so great for keeping that poo from irritating the skin. You can buy it from the pharmacy or gets it free on prescription.
Pears are what clears LO out here. And prunes.
Cadan refused most of his dinner tonight but did munch on a stick of pepper and inhale a half dozen strawberries. It is so handy now he has top and bottom teeth to bite of chunks rather than just suck it all off. It is amazing to give him foods he couldn't do much with a month or two ago and see him bite off chunks and finish the whole stick in seconds now.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2010, 04:27:36 am »
Got a really big poo after a trip to the chiro with tummy massage theie and plently of water for me   :)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:54 am »
Yay for poo Eloise!!! Drrinking lots of fluids always seems to help me.  I get so busy and just forget.  Then I think back and realize all I had that day was 2 cups off coffee and 1 glass of water...not enough to make milk I've learned!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:01 am »
Sarah I don't think I've ever noticed seeds in bananas!

Sianie did you know there's no need to boil their drinking water? Once they've started BLW good old fresh tap water is fine. TBH they lick & suck everything anyway, I found J licking the wheel on S toy pushchair a few days ago, god knows what that's been rolled in ::)

Kim I just give willy nilly too! Runny poop here too, I'm quite looking forward to a less leaky substance!!!
 I use Metanium too, but you only need the tiniest amount as it really goes a long way. If that doesn't sort it out I go for the Canestan, it clears both my two up in less than 24 hours. I often put Canestan on and then Metanium!

I just keep offering. Fads change so fast. One day they just switch attention, S has just got over a melon addiction!

Eloise yay for poop.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:45:37 am by The Goblin »
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Lola's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2010, 11:14:22 am »
Metanium is great. I put Vaseline on top and sore bum healed up so quickly. On the must have list like Lanisoh nipple cream was in the earlier months.
<:SOPHIE:>

My Angels in heaven, loved and never forgotten: October 2010 and December 2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2010, 17:02:29 pm »
I've never heard of metanium.  I just use Lanisoh on everything, since I didn't wind up using it much on myself.  Works for sore bums, and chapped face on my lo.  Yay Eliose for poo!!  I am pretty structured as to what I give as far as food.  Breakfast is oatmeal and a veggie, lunch is meat, veggie, fruit, dinner is meat, veggie, starch, fruit.  Sometimes I give 2 veggies, if I have on hand.  Guess I can't help my structured nature!!

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2010, 19:12:31 pm »
Was going to say the same about the water (no need to boil it). Ellen LOVES her water (I never give her juice). She has learned the sign for it, and now she will do it just b/c I think she likes to see us understand her and get her water for her. She has a little sippy cup and she'll ask for it and then instead of drinking it, she'll hold on to it like it's her lovey or something!! ::) :)

Megan

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2010, 23:20:02 pm »
How cute about the water!! :)  I haven't gotten T to drink out of the sippy.  He just chews on it, but doesn't suck any out.  He will take a few sips out of a cup though.

Any advice about BLW and traveling??  I am stumped.  We will be gone 8 days.  We will be driving almost every day, so we'll be eating lots of fast food.  Trouble is, most of the foods I give him are cooked.  Any ideas?  I'm hitting the grocery tomorrow.

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2010, 00:56:27 am »
I have not done any extensive travelling, but when we go out for the day I just make sure what I am eating is healthy and feed DD off my plate (keeps me in line ;)) Or if you are going to the grocery store, maybe grab some fruit and veggies and some steam bags (zip lock makes them) and then you can steam him some in a conveinence store (most have micro waves) They only take two or three min and you can reuse them (they say one time use, but I use them maybe thre to four times then toss) You can also steam meat in them, so you can stop at grocery stores around and but some.  Get a little handheld cooler and some cold packs.  You dont need to be doing anything fancy.  Simple carbs (cherrios, puffed rice, toast, even rice in baggies or containers)  If you have a bumbo with the seat they make good travel seats to eat off.  hth Have fun! :)
~Mary~

Offline Meditrina

« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2010, 00:57:37 am »
Oh, and that is too cute about the water!  DD likes water, but I really need to get her a sippy with handles so she can use it on her own. 
~Mary~

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:28 am »
Jack LOVES his sippy - but only at mealtimes. If I offer it any other time (he's got a cough just now) he doesn't want it! SO amazing to watch him grab for his water and put it in his mouth. (We gently tilt up for him)

Thanks for the tips on the Metanium - I actually have some from a baby shower so I put it to good use today!

Now. DH is freaked out about the gagging, and Jack is getting a bit upset too. The other day I oversteamed his carrot sticks and he sucked some bits off and started gagging. Today I gave him some fried egg whites and he started gagging on those pieces too. However, yesterday I steamed some carrots and took his out about 3-4 minutes before ours, and he was absolutely fine with that.   ** Is it just a case that for now I should be giving him stuff like semi-steamed carrots that won't come off in his mouth and slowly add the other? **

ALSO! Tip: I wanted to make some honey glazed ham (gammon) for dinner last night, but wanted Jack to have some too. Obviously, honey is not recommended for babies under 1yr, even when it's thoroughly cooked... SO! I did some googling and found a recipe for a honey substitue!!!  All it is is 1 1/4 C water and 1/4 C sugar, dissolved (don't have to heat) and then it's the same quantity of mixture as the recipe calls for honey! Gives the flavour and moisture that honey would!!!
♥ Kim

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2010, 22:32:03 pm »
Kim I'm loving the glaze idea.

On the gagging I found cooked carrots a real problem. We just didn't give them until S could deal with them better. She wouldn't eat egg white so not an issue.

Still going slow here. He's REALLY unsettled just now, I have no idea why! It's either teething, solids, not enough solids, a bad reaction or coming down with a bug!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2010, 22:40:44 pm »
Any advice about BLW and traveling??
Everything Mary said :)  We bring a cooler and bring veg, fruit, etc.  Also if you can do dairy most convenience stores carry yogurt and some sort of fruit.  And if you absolutely do not want to bring stuff, most fast food places have a healthy option.  So like I think it is Wendy's and burger king have a mandarin chicken salad and I think the chicken is grilled, or you can ask for it to be.  My girlfriend gets this for her DD.  She eats the oranges and chicken.  Then you can have the lettuce.  Add some cheerios and boom you've got a meal.
I forgot, I think it is burger king...they carry mac and cheese.  It is the kraft stuff, but we had to stop and get some for DS once. most places carry apple slices as well now.

Offline Meditrina

« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2010, 14:21:18 pm »
Oh I just thought for your cooler maybe you could get a paring knife and a small grater.  I found that DD can eat hard fruit and veg that is grated (carrots and apples etc) so that may eliminate the need for the steam bags and microwaves.  I'm sure you can find other fruit and veg to grate.  ALso some grocery stores carry pre cooked chicken and things if you are using the cooler.  Good idea with the fast food places Sarah!  The other night we ate at McDonalds and got DD a fruit and yogurt parfait and a blueberry muffin (maybe the muffin would have not been that great, I dont know how they make them)  Or if you eat at Subway, they have kids subs and you could get them to toast the bun, get chicken and tomatos, cuke, peppers etc on the side and that is a whole meal! And I would bring lots of wipes or clothes! 
~Mary~