Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62852 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #375 on: December 02, 2010, 21:37:33 pm »
Well, the pot pie turned out edible... I gave it to Ellen anyway and she ate a good bit. :) I've heard that about the potatoes too, but it already had all the potatoes in it - maybe that's why it turned out ok.

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #376 on: December 02, 2010, 22:53:48 pm »
only problem for us with rusks is most have"trace" milk in them and El reacted to them.  Although I think somone here has a recipe...if you wouldn't mind sharing?? :)

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2010, 04:28:45 am »
Sarah~ we give Myla the Toddler mum mum cookies. Oddly enough, the Toddler rusks have no milk, but the baby ones do...strange! She doesn't react to them at all:)
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #378 on: December 03, 2010, 21:20:29 pm »
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=151007.0
Sarah I found this thread with some dairy free rusk recipes. Hopefuuly it works bc I'm pasting from my phone:)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2010, 15:28:11 pm »
Oooo chatty ladies! I've a lot to catch up on.

Welcome to everyone just starting BLW, sorry I can't remember names. Someone was asking about steaming apples and things, I don't, I just wait until they have teeth for really hard fruit. Pears I give once they're ripe and juicy I just leave the skin on to make it easier to pick up. I also don't do one new food at a time, just crack on with a variety!

For sweet foods we never give DD juice, she's only ever had water. We never gave any chocolate, biscuits, cake or crisps at the start as we agreed that she doesn't need them, also she's a complete pig and eats so much anyway! Don't get me wrong we're not the fun police, as she's got older we let her nibble on some goodies. Although I was amazed earlier in the year when I said to DH let's have a cup of tea and a biscuit, DD practically ran to the pantry cupboard shouting 'bikit' repeatedly! I looked at DH and said 'she's had one!' Now if we eat chocolate she'll smell it across the room and ask for some!!! She would eat a whole pack of biscuits if given half a chance!
  It's quite nice now she's older we enjoy things together more. Yesterday we shared a cup of tea (decaf obviously) and chocolate covered rich tea biscuit!

DS has started crying for food now. He's a bit more fussy at meals, certainly not a gannet like his sister but he's getting there!
 I can't remember who was asking about mess and manners. The way I see it is in the early days they learn through play, DD never played with food until she had had enough! Peas make good fun, some squash, some flick like tiddlywinks! She was a messy eater in that she found her mouth by rubbing down her face! The mess DS makes is AMAZING! What he doesn't swallow gets pulverised & dribbles out! We always enforce manners with her but the spirited monkey likes to try it on, licking off the plate, spitting her water is a new (very annoying) thing! Thankfully dropping and throwing has stopped!!

I don't think BLW encourages bad habits, it's definitely a personality thing, you can only guide and teach your values.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2010, 18:56:35 pm »
Any ideas about how to use EBM in a BLW way? I'm expressing at old DF time to keep up supply so I can have EBM for DD when I'm back to work but it's too early to start saving it up so I'm accumulating a bit. Is it ok to cook with it?? eg add to a sauce for pasta (if eaten right away and not saved) etc. DH suggested EBM frozen as a milky ice lolly lol!

thanks!

Ruth

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2010, 19:13:06 pm »
Sorry Ruth I can't help with recipes. I imagine if you heat it too much it will kill off all the goodies from your immunity!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2010, 19:24:20 pm »
It is my understanding that you can use it to cook with anyway you want in place of milk, like mashed with potatoes or other veg.

El had her first whole apple yesterday and loved it! I had to take it from her when she got to the core and she screamed for it back

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2010, 19:33:10 pm »
Marsha- yeah I think heating isn't good from the nutrition point of view if I was giving her it as main drink or to boost food. I guess I'm just looking for anyway to use it up-I hate wasting it!

I'll try using it with mashed potato and then making little balls of it so she can hold it!

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2010, 20:46:42 pm »
What about putting a little onto a rusk?

We had tacos tonight, so I just put some cheese, tomatoes, peppers, flour tortilla, and ground beef with cumin on J's tray... messiest meal we've had so far! I know he's too young for pincer grip for the ground beef, but I thought why not give him the chance to try?

It was so amazing, this morning for lunch we had turkey soup that DH made from the Thanksgiving leftovers, and we dipped some bread strips in the soup and gave to J. He LOVED it and wouldn't let go! Then when DH offered a piece of turkey to J, he didn't want to open his fist so he (if you can picture it!) had his fist around the bread and just released his forefinger and took the turkey piece from DH using his forefinger and thumb!!! Amazing!!
♥ Kim

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2010, 20:53:40 pm »
I know he's too young for pincer grip for the ground beef, but I thought why not give him the chance to try?
You never know.  Both T and F could pick up things with their pincher grasp on the first try at 7mos.  F is already a pro at picking up things like small pieces of ground beef!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2010, 21:19:17 pm »
Kim-how cute! I agree El has had an ability to pick up small things since about 7mo.  She just has gotten better at opening her hand to get it in her mouth.  Keep offering, I bet he will surprise you soon enough

I foorgot to say Ry offered El a sip of his milk which she gladly took (I think) and it did not go nearly as awful as I envisioned. She is for sure more refluxy and she had 20 min naps for 1 day, but she did not scream the entire time ans in fact shee seems ok now. It has been just over 2 days. Clearly not ready, but I am hopeful as that was straight cows milk. 

I also have found a great product for me...So Delicious makes coconut milk creamer for coffee and it tastes great! Maybe that is bc I have not had dairy cream in so long I cznt remember and it makes it so much better than just black coffee!!

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2010, 01:56:15 am »
Hi everyone!

Sarah- Yay for the small reaction to the milk!

Marsha-So glad you are enjoying sharing food with your daughter!! :)

New mommy- I don't have any recipe advice either- but using it to replace milk as PP said I'm sure would be a great way to use it.

Kim- I agree with Martina as T started to be able to pick small things up at around 7 months.  He can now get the ground meat and puffed rice cereal into his mouth as he has learned to open his hand.  The tacos sound yummy!

I love that feeding T encourages me to try new foods.  I've had several avocado's- something I wouldn't normally eat, and today I tried parsnips.  I have to say I was surprised that they were pretty tasty!

Does anyone know where the BLW recipe thread went?  I am getting tired of preparing the same old things for T!  I need some inspiration!

Is it normal for babies to start to want their food in smaller chunks?  T has been squeezing the heck out of his chunks, and squashing it into his tray.  He'll eat it easily if it is mashed on a spoon, or in smaller chunks.  We are still doing some mush and some finger foods.  I have to say it seems like he eats a lot more mush.  Is that normal?  I only ask because I am going to try to get our NF's under control, and I am always worried he isn't getting enough food since he is so little.

Lastly- when did you all start giving crackers?  I offered him one today, and he was really gagging.  All the food he has had up till this point has been fairly mushy.  Maybe he just doesn't know how to eat it yet?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #388 on: December 05, 2010, 02:00:39 am »
Amy, here is the one that Sarah started awhile back.  Still pretty bare, but maybe all you ladies would like to jump on and contribute and we'll see if we can get it going again!  :)
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178221.0
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #389 on: December 05, 2010, 17:30:51 pm »
Amy - Ellen loves to smash her food too (usually when she's almost done eating) and loves even more to squash it between her two palms and rub them together to get a really good puree ;D hehe She doesn't usually eat it after she does that, but I think it's all part of the learning process - she's learning about textures and what her hands can do, etc. I can't say anything about the NF, and I always worry that E doesn't get enough either, but I would say that IMO it doesn't really matter if he's eating mush/small chunks versus bigger pieces, just as long as he's eating, kwim? And I think crackers were one of the first things I gave Ellen after mush, so 6mo maybe? If he's gagging that's ok, he'll learn quick and get really good at eating them really soon. He's gotta learn sometime!!

Megan