Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62837 times)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:19 am »
Sophie the throwing thing is definitely defiance! We had about 6 months of it :-\ We tried EVERYTHING, unfortunately it's a difficult one to beat. We found ignoring the best option, don't even make eye contact with her! Obviously that can be messy so the next best tip is intervention, as soon as the throwing arm comes up take her food away, finished or not!
Nt that she could understand me.
You'll be amazed. If it's anything like S she probably understands every word you say!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #406 on: December 09, 2010, 20:03:34 pm »
Question: Does anyone give their LO FF or BM with meals or in a sippy? Do you do it at bottle temperature or chilled? I want her to start getting used to drinking milk with meals so she can start weaning off the bottle eventually but I'm not sure how to do it... she didn't like it cold yesterday or warm today... ??

This might not be the board for this question, but when do people usually start weaning off the bottle entirely? We're still on 4 a day (down from 5!!)

Megan

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #407 on: December 09, 2010, 20:09:48 pm »
Megan, I think this link might have an answer for you:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67398.0
You can give formula or BM in a sippy, but keep in mind a lot gets wasted when LOs are learning how to use it, so only put a bit in at a time.  :)  I honestly can't remember what we did with T.  :P  Maybe some other moms can share what they do.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #408 on: December 09, 2010, 20:14:34 pm »
Thanks Martina! I was also just looking at the post for routines for 10-12 month olds. Looks like what I'm doing is pretty similar to a lot of other moms, which is good to know. I'll definitely check out that link you posted - I appreciate it!!

Megan

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #409 on: December 09, 2010, 21:24:03 pm »
Megan~my son was onto 2 bottles a day at 10 months and a sippy at meals. Then 2 days before his 1st birthday I pulled the bottle cold turkey and went to a sippy for his meals and before bed, and he wasn't bothered at all. But I still warmed up his sippy of milk until he was about 18 months. Even now at 3 he sometimes ask me to warm up his glass of milk..lol. I think it's a comfort thing:) Good luck!!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #410 on: December 10, 2010, 01:25:38 am »
I guess I'll just keep offering it and probably do it warm since that's what she's used to. Although it'd be much easier for me if she'd take it cold!! She's not feeling well or eating much these days anyway, so maybe when she starts feeling better she'll start taking it from a sippy.

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2010, 10:51:25 am »
Megan S just gradually took less & less milk. When I went back to work (she was 8 months) she had a 5oz bottle at 1pm and another at 4pm. She just stopped taking that 4pm one! The lunch time bottle got to where she was drinking 1 or 2 oz by 10 months so we stopped it. She fed on me twice a day at that point. Once we dropped the bf she had two bottles a day, she started taking less & less in the morning so at 16 months we stopped that! The little swine will not relinquish that bedtime bottle though! She refused all other bottles and woke early when tried without so we're currently watering it down & reducing it! Hopefully she'll get the hint soon!

Ok we're having 'manners' issues with S! She's suddenly shovelling food down at speed making herself almost choke, very annoying! I know it's a phase, just hope it ends soon!

J is eating more. His style is swill it round your mouth, attempt to chew then deposit down ones bib! It's always smaller so some is going down, messy though!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #412 on: December 11, 2010, 20:39:58 pm »
Ry is doing what S is doing, but his is accompanied by "coooookie" modeling after his fave, cookie monster.  I am sure I will fight that battle soon enough, but for now it gets food in him so I am happy ::)

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #413 on: December 18, 2010, 18:40:04 pm »
Hi!
Just popping on to say that am loving BLW at the moment. We didn't intend to do it but have a spoon refuser at 6 months so pretty much had to. We weren't doing 100% BLW and still offered stuff from a spoon just in case. At 7 months she was taking some off a spoon but now at 8 months is refusing again so thank goodness we have BLW to use.

She ate 10 peas yesterday! Hooray for the pincer grip!! Also, so easy to go out for lunch today as DH and I could eat and leave her to feed herself (well, pretty much but miles easier than spooning everything in).
My HV was asking about it this week and it sounds like the 'official' opinion is changing in the UK and BLW is accepted and even encouraged!
So worth perseving plus no worries about introducing lumps etc.

Am so encouraged!

Ruth

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #414 on: December 22, 2010, 23:49:01 pm »
Yay Ruth glad you're enjoying it ;D The pincer grip is great for eating and house work, S used to pick up & nibble all tiny bits of fluff so I had to hoover lots :-X J is totally ham fisted in comparison, by this age she was delicately picking up every morsel off the tray, no chance for him yet, still shoving huge lumps towards his face with most dropping out! I'm so glad I weaned her first, I might have been discouraged already!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #415 on: December 25, 2010, 21:52:52 pm »
Any other Christmas dinner BLW babies?! Jack enjoyed some turkey, asparagus, broccoli, peas, and a prawn!
♥ Kim

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #416 on: December 25, 2010, 23:27:55 pm »
My Jack enjoyed turkey, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower & a brussel sprout! It always sounds a lot but most ends up pulverised down his bib ::)

~~~ MERRY CHRISTMAS ~~~
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #417 on: December 26, 2010, 01:56:57 am »
Ha. Ellen wouldn't eat a bite at my family's yesterday nor DH's family today. ::)

Megan

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #418 on: December 26, 2010, 04:40:19 am »
Myla enjoyed ham, turkey, brocolli, stuffing, cranberries and homemade buns!! She ate her entire tray. She loves the holidays like her mama:)
Happy holidays everyone!!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #419 on: December 26, 2010, 22:21:16 pm »
I'm SO jealous of all you ladies who have LOs who enjoy eating. We've gone down from 5 bottles to 4 and now to 3 and I can still hardly get her to eat solids. Today it had been 5hrs with just a cracker and a few raisins. We went out to eat Italian and she ate a bit of bread and some of my pasta, but then started absolutely refusing everything. I have pasta all over the front of my shirt to prove it ::) She then came home and drank 8oz.

Last night, because she wouldn't eat any solids all day - even with all that good food!!! - she had TWO bedtime bottles. She was just mucking around in her crib for 40 min and I knew it was b/c she was still hungry and not b/c she wasn't tired, so I went in there with another full bottle and she almost polished it off and then went right to sleep.

Maybe in the past, you could blame it on me giving too much milk and/or giving milk first, but not anymore. We went cold turkey on the breakfast bottle over a week ago, and she STILL won't eat much breakfast or hardly anything else for the rest of the day. WHY WON'T SHE EAT???

Megan