Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62657 times)

Offline Meditrina

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 23:26:14 pm »
Thanks whatbit for the ideas!

Today I gave her cuke sticks (like a length cut into 1/4s) and she loved it!  And she actually ate more then I expected her too, like the entire soft mifddle was gone and some of the outer part too.  The cukes were very slipperly as well, so maybe I will roll them next time.   I also just filled her spoon with the cereal and if held it out for her and if she grabbed it she would put it into her mouth herself! lol SOOOOO CUTE!!!  And what a mess!  Once I get my picture issues worked out I will show a pic, but as of right now I am Brad Pitt  ;)

Just wondering with the food, what if large chucks break off?  Like a few chucks of the cuke came off while she was knawing on it and it scared me a little.  We did something like BLW with DS (not really on purpose, lol, he just progressed to finger foods very quick and did not like being fed) but he was almost 7 months when he was mostly feeding himself adn she is only 5.5 months.  Anyone have a prob with this? 
~Mary~

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 12:08:58 pm »
I din't do cukes until later, but did find that DS could 'chew' pretty well without teeth after he got the hang of things.  You might want to stick with stuff that mushes easier for the first little while.  Little guys have pretty good gag reflexes, but you wan to keep an eye out all the same. 
~Stef~

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 16:38:55 pm »
Great ideas whatbit...I needed ideas too!!  DD is loving everything and when she sees a bowl or plate she opens her mouth to get a try of whatever we have!!

I gave her sticks of sweet potato that I sautéed in olive oil with a touch of salt and pepper.   This made the inside soft enough to "chew" and the outside was still stiff enough to hold but not so hard.

I too gave her a cuke to chew on, but thought maybe I would wait a bit to give them to her again.  Just kind of made me nervous.  I did give her some small sticks of melon and she liked that alot.

I know that the point of BLW is they feed themselves...and I let her as much as she can.  I let her guide the spoon if one is needed, but I still am giving her what we are eating.  Like the other night I gave her cous cous and flakes of the salmon I was eating.  Mostly I am just trying to avoid an eater like DS who still spits out things I know he likes if he thinks the texture (or something) is wrong!

Offline jordiwes

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 17:45:53 pm »
Can I follow along? DD2 is GREAT with her hands. What did you guys give for your FIRST BLW experience? It scares me a little but I want to try!

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 22:13:43 pm »
Banana followed shortly by steamed sweet potato sticks.  We had done mashed pears and cereal prior but those 2 were his first actaul BLW foods.
~Stef~

Offline jordiwes

• BW Devotee
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2010, 03:44:34 am »
Thank you! How long do you steam? I'm trying this tomorrow!

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2010, 15:14:53 pm »
I'm not sure how many minutes, but I did it so I could pierce the sticks with a knife tip.  If it got too soft, they just fell apart.  Probably about 5-10 minutes depending if they were frozen or not.  (To save time I prepare sticks of veggies and meatballs and veggies 'patties' and freeze them so I can pull out what I needed each day).
~Stef~

Offline Meditrina

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 15:26:56 pm »
So the cukes gave DD some major gas!!!  I have to get grocery shopping to get some fruit and veg to give her.  I like the idea of freezing them.  So you freeze then steam when you are ready to feed her?

DD loves to feed herself!  If I am giving her something on a spoon, I do the same as you Sarah.  I just hold the spoon out and she grabs it and puts it into her mouth. 

Whatbit~ what kind of steamer do you use?
~Mary~

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2010, 18:01:30 pm »
A bamboo one that sits over a pot.  I bought it at an Aisan grocery store and it was very inexpensive.  I also have a mental one that came with my rice cooker.  It fits on top of a smaller pot I have.  Nothing fancy :) 
~Stef~

Offline inoella

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2010, 19:14:45 pm »
Hi ladies! Just thot I'd throw out my 2 cents wotrh - DD started with cottage cheese and avacado. I was looking for high fat foods since she wouldn't eat much.  :P She still loves them both. Meatballs are also a hit - I like to hide veggies in them.  ;D You could also try macncheese or really any type of pasta. The idea is if they have dexterity to pick it up and put in their mouths they'll be ok  - so we went with peas and raisins etc. at about 8 months. Oh, and scrambled eggs. I admit, I just give her mine - white, salsa and all! No history of allergies in our family and she loves 'em!

Oh - and I do a mom-feeding/BLW mix.  ;) I also give her purees and discovered that she likes to suck on frozen cubes of puree. So, if she doesn't finish her yogurt/fruit/whatever in one meal I freeze the rest and she'll just eat the cubes later. She especially likes it when she's teething - which seems to be on going these days! 

What's the "rule" about wheat? I made a wheat pasta dish and gave her some yesterday. Other than that I don't think she ate anything new yes. but was up all night with gas... ???

p.s. - I was helpfully giving DD thick slices of peach to hold onto but just discovered that she prefers getting a whole half at once! Love them peaches!  ;D
*Jaci*

Offline jordiwes

• BW Devotee
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2010, 20:54:30 pm »
Thanks for your 2 cents, ionella. My little 6.5 month old can pick up grains of rice and put them in her mouth, so I think she could grab just about anything... Just tried with little slivers of avocado, worked ok. Some gagging but no biggy I guess.

Offline inoella

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2010, 22:09:44 pm »
Glad she liked it!
Some gagging but no biggy I guess.
yeah - DD still gags a little here and there - but they catch on! ;)
*Jaci*

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2010, 22:14:44 pm »
So you freeze then steam when you are ready to feed her?
SOme stuff, like cauliflour, I blanch and then freeze so I can do a quick steam before feeds.  The veggie patties and meatballs I bake and freeze.  Sweet potatoes and squash I just slice and freeze and steam later.

~Stef~

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2010, 06:40:53 am »
Ok I've been MIA a while, but I'll jump right back in.

What is cuke?

Mary I never gave anything before 6 months. We were going to start a few weeks earlier but she got a little bug. When we did start her first food was a whole banana. It was amusing, I really should post the series of photos on here!
 She never had a purée but loved her food from the get go! DS is nearly four months so looking forward to him starting soon (but not the mess) I have pictures of S covered in pasta sauce and looking like an oompa loompa!

The gag reflex is normal and essential, it teaches them from an early stage. I never worry about a thing DD eats, she tucked into some cashew nuts quite happily a while back!

Jaci there are no rules about specific foods, just offer a balance of all the food groups. If something doesn't agree hold off for a while. DD had issues with dried apricots, grapes and raisins for ages. We offered every month or so, she LOVED them but her body just couldn't digest them. It's caught up now and she's making up for lost time with raisins every day for breakfast!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:57 am »
Hi there,

I also was hoping to follow along and get some ideas. We are kind of in a forced BLW situation as DS won't take anything from me or the spoon, but seems like the best way to go in the long run :) Also, kind of a picky eater and won't eat anything warm, liquidy, or too small to grasp individually ie rice or couscous, so its been kind of a challenge to find foods he likes. Plan on trying the sweet potato fries and meatballs this week.  Also had the same question about the cuke? Is it short for cucumber?