Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62769 times)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2010, 21:51:29 pm »
Kind of like a rutabaga?  Does it have purple on it and taste a little peppery?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2010, 21:54:03 pm »
I had never heard the term rutabaga but I looked it up and yes apparently what we in the UK call swede you in the US call rutabaga. How did that happen I wonder? LOL.
I also looked up chocko on google and apparently it is similar to a cucumber with one fat end...
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2010, 22:05:49 pm »
I had never heard the term rutabaga but I looked it up and yes apparently what we in the UK call swede you in the US call rutabaga. How did that happen I wonder? LOL.
I also looked up chocko on google and apparently it is similar to a cucumber with one fat end...

Isn't that funny...being on here has lead me to scratch my head a few times in wonder on how some words got to where they are!

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2010, 22:41:24 pm »
oh both good ideas re: the chicken!

A choko os a rather bland green looking round thing...itd in season over here in Aus. Its  a very safe vegetable to eat allergy and intolerance wise, it will be his "green".  I have never cookeed with it before, it is a substitute for apple sometimes too.   Green french beans are the oter safe food, but i was wondering how he could possibly eat those?

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2010, 22:50:52 pm »
I found green beans little tough at first because there's a grinding or chewing needed even when they're soft so I would blend them and add them to mashed potatoes for the first little bit.  I would add egg yolks to the mixture and make flat patties and bake them on parchment paper in the oven and then DS could hold them and they fell apart really great.  I know you're dealing with losts of intolerances, so maybe you could chop them really fine and hand your LO the little bits until he can pick them up off the tray or deal with bigger pieces?  Once DS started 'chewing' with his back gums he could handle them whole.  Soemtimes he would hide them in his cheeks to chew on later and I would wonder what the heck he was eating and find beans in his mouth!  Little chipmunk ;)
~Stef~

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:54 am »
Joining in.

J is almost 6 months and we are on day 5 of solids here. We did kumara (sweet potato) for the first 3 days and pumpkin today and we also did 2 meals for the first time today. He seems to be having a great time, but gets a bit frustrated when the piece gets too small for him to be able to hold properly! I know some is going in, but it's not a lot at this early stage.

I basically did BLW with DD - I started spoon feeding her purees but because of reflux she wasn't keen - she really wanted to be in control of what went in her mouth so we ended up mostly doing BLW before I had even heard of it.

Boy had I forgotten how messy it is!!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2010, 11:42:36 am »
Eloise with BLW a lot of food only gets gummed and sucked, so the more juicy it is the better. This is the same for meat, if you cut strips of meat with the grain they can hold it and suck it and get protein from the juices. Obviously you need to make sure the meat isn't over cooked and leathery or pink and about to run off your plate (I hate 'rare' meat personally) I'm only just getting the hang of getting meat tender and chicken I find the hardest as I am so paranoid about salmonella!
 BLW is ideal for babies with intolerances as their GI tracts are more sensitive, so BLW will allow their bodies to adjust naturally and over time. It took my DD's body over a year to get to grips with grapes, raisins and dried apricots!

True BLW is about offering them food in both it's raw and cooked state, I didn't bother with that. But it is about letting them do it at their pace, some babies can take months to actually eat anything, others (like my DD) are gluttonous pigs from the out set! Definitely use this to complement the milk feeds, I found within weeks of starting she actually cried for solids, but like I said she was a little pig! I'm not sure DS will be quite such a breeze!

It is fun, but it is also VERY messy! I still look back at photos of DD and chuckle. I think we should start a BLW photo gallery? What do you reckon?
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 21:17:48 pm »
I think we should start a BLW photo gallery? What do you reckon?
Oh that would be so funny. We could guess the mess!
I used to think DS was hardly eating anything but then saw lots of bits of undigested pepper, mushroom, corn etc. in the poop and was surprised how much was actually getting into him.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 22:43:44 pm »
Argh!  I had such a mess tonight!!!  I made a quinoa salad and it had lots of veggies in it so DS could pick those out but the quinoa itself got EVERYWHERE!!!  Blech.  I agree a BLW photo gallery would be fun.  I don't have a lot of pics, but I could take some!
~Stef~

Offline inoella

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 01:45:19 am »
I think we should start a BLW photo gallery?
I'm in - except I don't know how??? How do you add a picture to your post?
*Jaci*

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2010, 02:25:45 am »
I'm in!!

You have to use the blue reply button not the quick reply. Then click additional options at the bottom.  It will drop down your options and you will see attach: choose file, click that and upload through your my pictures or however you normally do it

The pick is of me and the kids, just testing to make sure I was telling you the right way.  (don't pay attention to me no makeup and my hair is a fright!!  :-X)

Oh and you have to resize the photo first

Offline EloysH

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2010, 03:18:44 am »
Sarah you are gorgeous just as I pictured you for some reason... curling blondish hair!  Your kids are gorgeous too!

here's one of my boys

Offline EloysH

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2010, 03:20:49 am »
Notice Ds1 with the baby orange sippy because Ds2 was having one if his first turns at using the baby cup, and he wanted a baby cup too!

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2010, 03:24:27 am »
I love it Eloise!  El grabbed Ry's sippy today too...they are just moving so fast!!
Yep..blonde and curly that's me!!  I thought I would have one blondie, but with DH's black hair I had no chance.  They are kind of golden brown right now

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2010, 03:30:42 am »
Oh Eloise-I also forgot to tell you that last night we had steak on the grill.  I gave a chunk to Elise and she was going crazy!!  SHe sucked it dry and was really working it in her mouth.  It was  a ribeye  steak so it was very tender and I cooked it a little more than mid rare...Just thought I would share so you had an idea about meats and things :)