Author Topic: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7  (Read 62911 times)

MummyToBen

Re: Baby Lead Weaning Support Thread - Part 7
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2010, 19:27:25 pm »
Ruth - other things that my DS loved at this age were stews and cassroles - cooked for ages so that meat is really tender and practically falls apart in their mouth.  Loads of iron and protein too, and easy to make a big batch and then freeze it. 

xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2010, 20:39:59 pm »
DH and I normally eat after Cadan is in bed too so I just save a baby-sized portion for Cadan to have the next day.
We did blackberries for the first time today and Cadan loved them. His face was a picture. I wish I had taken some photos. They were quite sharp and he realised a few seconds after stuffing the whole thing in his mouth, I could see it in his face. He ate 5 so I'd say they were a hit. Good thing too as I had sent DH to the shop for blueberries (which are a favourite already) but apparently they didn't have any so balckberries it was.
I use baby stock to make casseroles with various meat and veg combos. We have a slow cooker which makes the meat really tender, lamb is the best IMO.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 15:35:32 pm »
Yeah, the rice cereal wasn't a big hit when I was spooning it to him.  It is processed so that it is like a powder that you mix with your breastmilk or formula.  I think it would be too runny for him to eat on his own- but I have the rest of the box, and a box of oatmeal too.  I hate to waste it.  I'll try mixing the rice with mashed potatoes.  That sounds like it would be fine.  DH is traveling most of the week, so I will be preparing meals for just DS and myself.

Cadie's mum- It is so fun to see their faces when they try new foods.  Timmy's best face was when he had asparagus- one of his first foods.  He was making the funniest face, and quivering his whole body- but he kept putting back in his mouth!  I wish I had a picture or video of it!  I'll have to take some pictures while he is eating.  DH took a pic with his phone of DS eating an apple.  It's pretty funny because the apple is almost as big as his head!

Question- Do you peel the skin off of the fruits like apples?  I bit a piece off for him to gnaw at, but he has teeth, and has been biting the skin off in other places. 

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2010, 15:53:07 pm »
I peel apples and plums, but leave the skin on pears and peaches.  It's probably personal preference more than anything.  Just make sure to wash them well if you leave them on :)
~Stef~

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2010, 16:31:02 pm »
I am going to try to post a few pics of T eating!
pid=7049123&id=736638272[/url]

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2010, 16:33:51 pm »
OK it worked!  That last pic shows the face he makes when he tries a new food!  Cracks me up!  Here are some more!

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2010, 23:35:12 pm »
Awwww :)
~Stef~

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2010, 00:25:35 am »
Those pics are adorable!!

Ellen has gone from eating a little of anything to not even being willing to taste what I put in front of her. Sometimes she will taste it if I put it in her mouth for her but usually not even then. Don't know what's going on?? Even things she used to like she won't eat now. ???

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2010, 05:37:25 am »
Hey Megan how long has she been fussy? Is she teething at all? They go through feast & famine stages just keep offering, she may just not want it right now!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2010, 16:50:35 pm »
I agree with marsha.  Teething can do weird things to eating.  I'm pretty sure we've got some going on here.  DS shovels the food in and then looks at me a cries but keeps wanting to put more in his mouth!!!??  He still eats, but seems to be more careful about it, iykwim.  Maybe you can stick with softer foods for now, like mashed potatoes and really well-steamed fruits and veggies?
~Stef~

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2010, 18:40:47 pm »
Be very proud ladies.... I cooked a chicken yesterday for the first time ever!! Big deal for a veggie! Of course, DD wouldn't even pick any up! Oh well, she will *click* eventually wont she?? Currently refusing spoon and pretty much anything else but occasional bit of bread. Very hard to resist Mummy urge to try and persuade her to eat more!! I'm not bothered about quantities but would like to feel that something is actually going in!

Ruth

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2010, 23:22:07 pm »
Hugs, Ruth!  Good job on cooking the chicken though!!!  Freeze it in small bite sized portions so you can try again in a day or so.  Yes, it can take awhile to 'click' so hang in there.  There's always lots of drama surrounding eating, so staying calm about it all will help!!
~Stef~

Offline inoella

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2010, 02:10:18 am »
Be very proud ladies.... I cooked a chicken yesterday for the first time ever!!
:) :) :) good for you! my lo didn't like chicken or any meat the first many, many, many times i offered it, but now she loves rotisserie chicken - so like Stefanie says - just keep offering!

my lo is also very independent - a week ago she refused to eat anything unless we gave her a "big people" fork and spoon - thank goodness that only lasted a few days cuz it was a pain! back to eating with her own spoon and fingers. :)

*Jaci*

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2010, 02:21:50 am »
Good for you Ruth!!

Thanks for the suggestions/encouragement ladies. I don't think it's teething... still no sign of them. Still not sure why she won't eat, but she's now totally refusing mush and the only type of food she seems to eat are bread products. Crackers, toast, cheerios, etc. Oh well... ::)

Megan

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2010, 11:31:02 am »
Hugs, Megan.  Keep offering other stuff with the bread products, or spread some fruit puree or hummus on the crackers.  DS got into hummus that way and tried goat cheese out one day too on some toast.  French toast or pancakes might be a good idea.  That way she can get some egg and you can add stuff like apple sauce to the pancake mix.  I dip french toast in oats to give it something a little extra too.
~Stef~