Author Topic: MPI - info needed please  (Read 946 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
MPI - info needed please
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:05:13 am »
Hi all,

DS2 had been extremely gassy and uncomoftable so doc asked me to cut off dairy form my meals, he is exculsively breastfed. Doe sthis mean he has a MPI? will it be permanant or will he grow out of it?

How come he can drink bm but not deal with any cow milk though bm?

Would appreciate any information as this is very new to me! and a bit worrisome as food for us is majorly relaint on milk as we dont eat a lot of meat...

Thanks,
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:34 am »
Hey Mukta,
this post might be better over on the allergy board (lots of great mummies over there) but in brief...

Sounds like your doctor suspects that milk protein intolerance is causing your LO a lot of issues and really the only way to check for this is by elimination diet.

Milk proteins (and in some cases soy proteins) enter the breast milk but are different to human milk proteins (infact an intolerance to human milk proteins is extremely rare - thank goodness).  It usually takes about 2 weeks dairy free to clear all these proteins from your and bubs systems and if your bub is quite sensitive to them you will have to eliminate hidden dairy too.  TBH I would do complete elimination for two weeks because as difficult as it can be at least you will know if it's going to help :)

Babies usually do grow out of milk protein intolerance, that is the good news :)

It is a hard one to eliminate so head over to the allergy board and read the info over there, there are great MSPI recipes to get you started and lists of foods to avoid (some of them will surprise you)...I did 4 months of MSPI diet and although it's hard for a start (I eat a lot LOT of dairy too) it does get easier....you may want to go on a calcium supplement (just be careful that it's not a dairy one) to keep your bones healthy during..

Huge hugs sweetheart, hope that helps a little
xxLizzie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: MPI - info needed please
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 14:38:13 pm »
Thanks Lizzie!

Never been to the allergy board before so glazed over posting there, will do so now!  :-*
9 and 6, oh boy!