Author Topic: pumpkin reaction, are you serious! :( anyone else have this?  (Read 22059 times)

scarlettsmom

Re: pumpkin reaction, are you serious! :( anyone else have this?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 16:43:57 pm »

Tari, thanks for mentioning *patch* testing, I think that sounds very promising and we may go that route. At what age can we do that?

I believe they will test from 6 months up.  We had our DD2 tested through patch testing at 9 months. 

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 00:28:14 am »
Kate, I think sweet potato might be a problem for us, at least the orange variety, not sure about yellow - and those are supposed to be ultra-low. Weird, weird. Did pp have these issues with babes a 100 years ago?

I am pretty sure my DS1 can't tolerate any orange Veg, every time I've tried to give it to him (& he is 7) we've had issues & ironically I tried him again on kumura (orange sweet potato) the other day & he had a wheezy cough in less than an hour... he doesn't normally get them without a cold!

One of the people I worked with (I worked in immunology research) had some ideas about allergy some are published, - hygiene Hypothis, also eating unseasonal food, too much variety, children of 40's to & 70's having cows milk from as early as birth etc & passing that problem to their children & grandchildren . Also years ago babies were just "colicy" or difficult and some may well have died quite simply because of failure to thrive.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 07:05:02 am »
I wondered for a while about orange food too! DS can't take orange juice and sometimes orange foods upset his bottom - not think it's the fructose levels in some of them ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 07:05:28 am »
now think, not "not" think!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline masonsmom1209

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 17:34:55 pm »
To Hunters mommy - just because a test comes back negative doesn't necessarily mean it is. The test are designed to pick up only one allergy indicator and there are a bunch but the other antibodies aren't easily tested for. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/allergy/test.html I did scratch tests myself for years due to terrible seasonal allergies, they prick you a bunch of times which as a teenager doesn't hurt but it likely would for a baby and then you wait while it feels like a bunch of mosquito bites are raging. I took shots once my allergy was diagnosed and it helped for that but now I'm 30 and developing food allergies (walnuts and pecans for now).  This article might be helpful also http://www.betterhealthusa.com/public/282.cfm. Good luck.

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 17:38:46 pm »
My sister in law is allergic to watermelon, actually, any melon.  Not exactly the same as pumpkin but sort of equally odd.  Makes her lips swell up and I'm not sure what else.

Just offering hugs!!

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

hrk

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 18:08:23 pm »
Hi Kirry; I have this site I use all the time.  Now I should confer with the book I received.  :-)  If we follow this list things go well for H.  And I noticed changes in H with giving H pumpkin puree after a week.  It was more behavioral (so he probably wasn't feeling well after having it for lunch every day with sunflower butter, apple butter and pumkin puree or tucking it other additional foods).  I am tending to see (as also suggested in Fed Up) that a variety works better for H.  He cannot handle consuming the same veg/fruits day after day unless they are on the low/very low part of the chart.  Obviously, in trialing foods, you want them to consume quite a bit and see how they react.  And I think go longer than the normal suggested trials; with H's resistance to foods back then, I don't think he consumed enough to really tell (and then add that the meds were acting as a buffer for the foods).  XXXXXXXXXXXXXX  Go slow and be as sure as you can.

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/vegetables/

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 02:01:46 am »
Kirry, some pumpkin ins on the high sals list in the booklet.. :(

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 02:13:05 am »
wow Kirry.
And this.... is why I'm so scared to start solids :)
We've only really done carrots and rice cereal so far.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 05:12:25 am »
thanks everyone, sorry it has taken me so long to reply, crazy household atm!

appt is tomorrow so will see how we go. seeing dietician again tomorrow too. went back to the three safe foods for a week and all good then gave him choko again yesterday which i thought was fine and mucousy poo during the night! and he is refluxing over and over and i've just had to resettle for the 5th time into his nap (tho he is sick with a cold too so it could be that or all of the above ::) )

elo, it was butternut pumpkin so on the moderate sals.

sherry, yeah i totally feel like he is going to live on rice pears and swede atm :'( sucks cos he LOVES food so much and really enjoyed the pumpkin, it just didnt love him! i'm worried by not giving enuf variety soon in solids that he will become a fussy eater too :-\ i was going with 2 new foods a week but one reaction sets us back a bit.

jean and masonsmum, thanks, off to check out those links :-*

tari, so is patch testing aimed at identifying intolerances or is it just a non invasive way of testing for allergies??

shannon, sorry for late response but as elo said, dont get hungry, eat eat and eat! lots of protein and carbs and allowed fats. if you on the sears diet rather than the RPAH one elo and i were on then cutting avocado could be a problem for you as you arent having enuf other foods and also avocado is nutrient dense if you arent having much other variety. with the RPAH onen there are many many more allowed foods for you to eat so cutting avocado was less of an issue.

kate, thanks for sharing. wow still reacting at 7!

gvackm, watermelon, wow! so i'm starting to think it is possible to be sensitive to anything at all.

thanks again everyone :-*

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 08:39:12 am »
sherry, yeah i totally feel like he is going to live on rice pears and swede atm :'( sucks cos he LOVES food so much and really enjoyed the pumpkin, it just didnt love him! i'm worried by not giving enuf variety soon in solids that he will become a fussy eater too :-\ i was going with 2 new foods a week but one reaction sets us back a bit.

I actually don't think variety as a baby has any link to fussy later, my DS2 who at 5 is far "fussier" than DS1 was at 5 (& DS1 didn't eat heaps) but as a 6-15mo DS2 would eat anything & everything no worries, not now. I think it is more to do with the development of taste buds (strongest sense of taste from 2-5yo) than variety of food as a baby.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

hrk

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 11:39:07 am »
Quote (selected)
2 new foods a week but one reaction sets us back a bit
  I really wish I had gone slower with H, and I did about a food a week.  It gets too hard to tell if you are getting delayed reactions.  H's bottom is always a day or two later.  I think the fussy eating was due to food sensitivities, as on the high dose of prevacid he started eating more.  Food sensitivities can cause fussy eating, too.  I received an article from our occupational therapist about that, as I was looking for a link between tactile defensiveness (sensitive to food texture/etc) and allergies/sensitivities.

XXXXX for a good apt. 

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »
Kate - DS1 was the same way. He ate EVERYTHING until about 18 months. He was such a good eater. Not anymore. Maybe because of some missed allergy or something. Who knows.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:39 am »
scratch tests all negative so at least he isnt allergic to anything i guess.

with the pumpkin, paed and dietician think he has a salicylate sensitivity so are getting me to challenge amines next (meats, and then banana). then will work on a few more low to moderate chemical veggies. then will work on finding out just what level of salicylates (and amines if he fails that) he can tolerate in his diet. (start by adding a small amount into his diet 1/4 tsp daily then 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 2 tsp, 1 tbs, 2tbs, etc - if there are no adverse reactions on a particular amount after 2 weeks then you go onto the next amount for 2 weeks and so on. if you get a minor reaction, you stay on that level as symptoms may settle with time. if you get a definite reaction you go back to the previous level for a few more weeks and then try increasing the intake again)

going to be a long road!

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:22 am »
Kirry I've been trying to call but my mobile is stuck permanantly in Kais room with the white noise on, I keep forgetting to get your no. out if it before I put him to bed!  Doh!  If you are on tonight can you call the home ph later? I am so keen to know about all this stuff, I have had to put Kai on solids yesterday! Yet to speak to the paed dietician about the food order and amounts, (next week) also haven't got my my appt with the paed for scratch tests and food stuff till 9th Sept.

The dietician thinks that Kai is sensitive to amines and sals too  :(   That explains why me being on the RPAH elimination diet  moderate  version instead of "low"is  not settling his symptoms completely  >:(