Author Topic: Oh how I hate toddler sleep :P  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Oh how I hate toddler sleep :P
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:46 am »
Hi all-
It has been a very long time since I posted.  Mostly because this is #2 and #1 had horrible sleep that I never did figure out from the age of 2-2yr9mo!  He was just a constant rotation of OT, UT, nap, no nap, none of it made sense.

We have been dealing with a little of the same with dd.  The biggest difference is so far she has not refused to nap and she can pull out of OT fairly easily.  This gives me hope we may be able to do 1-0 a little smoother than with DS.

We still nap by A times-set naps only work if she is super out of sorts and we need to move her day forward.  She is spirited, super articulate (so she aruges about being tired or how she wants to go to sleep) and she is pretty physically advanced (she has been climbing out of her crib since about 17mo and she uses the crib rail for either a ballet barre or some sort of gymnastic equipment every time we go to sleep)

We went through a really bad stretch around 2 when she went through a developmental leap and also her 2yr molars came in.  We are out of that OT loop and this is where the problem comes in.  Her day is just WAY too long and I am not sure how to go about cutting down her nap. 

This was her day today:

WU 745
Nap 230-330
BT  920

So almost 7hrs first A and almost 6hrs second A.  This has been pretty consistant all week.  Before this week we were having a tough time figuring out which A's were really working and I even was going for set nap and BT.  All that got me was 530 WU and 1-2 NW.  No thanks. 

So the big question.  How much do you start cutting the nap down and how often do you do it?  Oh and she will not go to sleep any earlier than those A times-trust me I have tried  ::) ::)

She is 27mo and I know she is not ready to give up the nap, but I can't have her staying up until 930 or even 900 for that matter.  Also, how do you know when it is time to just go for no nap?  DS is 39mo and he still needs a bit of a nap.  He can go several days without it, but he still for sure needs it sometimes.  Like today.  He did not want to nap, but by 430 I could not take his grumpy pants anymore and had him take a 15min power nap.  He was good with that and made it to BT and fell asleep with no problems at normal time.

TIA ladies   :-* :-*
Sarah

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:07:59 am »
Hi Sarah,

Well major (HUGS) and empathy to you. DS Sam is going through the 1-0. IME you have no choice but to cut the nap back again or push on through without it. Any nap for Sam who was 2 in January is now resulting in a 9pm BT with huge ridiculous BT antics and resistance and a short night leading to OT. He never refused his nap or even needed longer A in the morning, just in the pm. I miss my Y time but it has been taken out of my hands. I hate to say it Hun, but it sounds like DD may be the same. If she can  make it through without a nap is it possible for you to do EBT and keep her day to 10.5/11 hour max  ???

Vicki.x.

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Re: Oh how I hate toddler sleep :P
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 14:17:08 pm »
Hmmm  I'm not sure if she would go without the nap.  Never even entertained the idea.  I will cut her nap down some today and see how things shake out.
Thanks!

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 17:18:45 pm »
Hmmm  I'm not sure if she would go without the nap.  Never even entertained the idea.

I hear ya! ^ Me neither until around 10 days ago. I knew Sam could do the odd nap day but I thought it would be a long term before it had to go. I have thought long and hard about the 1-0 lately (I've had to  ::)) The general consensus amongst all the 1-0 Mammy's on the TS threads seems to be "He/She is no way ready to go without the nap" and I feel the same about Sam. So the only way I have been able to define 'ready' is this:

If a nap day gets you less sleep in 24 hours then it's time to push on through.

Good Luck Hun, I really hope the capping works.

Vicki.x.