Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread  (Read 79327 times)

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2011, 19:25:13 pm »
i started to walk out of the room if he began talking etc 3 nights ago and walked back in if he cried (this is backward wi/wo i think from what people have described?Huh) and lay him down then sat down not facing him on the seat...if he talked i repeated the process.  if he stays quiet i stay there and walk out when hes done his big sigh and lay quietly for 5 mins.

we did this for 3 nights and it peaked at 45 mins and then suddenly improved. ive tried walking out straight away but it just gets him really wound up so we are sticking with sitting facing away from him.  my theory for us is a little UT so we shortened the morning A and lengthened the afternoon A (just means i have to make sure we do 'something energetic' in the morning) and im giving meds 30 min before bed if he has his fingers wedged in his mouth! lol

Offline lilybug25

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2011, 01:30:59 am »
We usually do wi/wo in the middle of the night and check if she's to hot or cold, we always try that first, 9/10 this works for us but if not, we check to see if diaper is too full( if yes quick bum change), if Lo needs to middle of the night drink( if hungry a quick cup of milk). Then I shamefully admit I will get so fustrated that I bring Lo into our bed, where she will relax and calm down and just as I start to fall back to sleep she will sit up or shove me and say" go way mama" or start singing. Dh will put her back into her bed.

Offline katesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2011, 19:20:42 pm »
thank heavens for this thread!!!!!!!!

katie has just turned 18 mths and omg nightmare! she's slept through since she was 8 weeks old and apart from the odd night here and there, she's gone 6.30pm - 7.30am without a peep!

her canines are coming through (i can see a bit of them) but I didn't realise, so I have been supernannying her (put her to bed, when she wakes 1st time, kiss cuddle and tuck her in. Any more wakings, no contact just put her back in bed) and feeling guilty incase her teeth have been causing it!!!!

she was refusing naps and bed, taking up to 2.5 hrs to go to bed! supernanny approach seems to be working and she'll now go to bed within 15 mins of WI/WO, but she is waking 4-5 times in the night :(

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2011, 17:28:51 pm »
I'm not dealing with any night waking at the moment but last night took forever for LO to finally fall asleep, she was in bed at 7:45pm( her usual bedtime) and didn't actually go to sleep till 10 pm!! She was up at 7:10 this morning so 9 hrs of sleep and I am paying for it today. Super cranky, temper just flaring and refusing meals, going to give her a nice long nap starting at noon. She just plays and plays in bed not crying so going in there really doesn't work as it just gives her more of a excuse to stay up. Now it's starting to affect her nap, it's taking her 30 mins to wind down to go to sleep when it usually takes less then 5 mins. I am starting to lose this battle ladies i can feel it!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2011, 21:41:21 pm »
Hi ladies. Can I join?
DS is taking forever to fall asleep at BT and sometimes crying and asking me to sit beside the cot while he goes to sleep. I don't though as when I have tried it normally ends with him standing and laughing at me through the cot bars. We have been doing PU and WO to get him to settle indepedently which he has done since 6mo (minus several phases of bad sleep due to sickness, teething etc.). He is even resisting naps both in the cot and in the buggy (which has always been my AP secret weapon).
Thankfully we aren't having NWs or EWs yet. FX these won't start now I've written that!
I haven't read the whole thread but will go back and catch up with your stories soon I hope.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2011, 20:35:05 pm »
so proud of jakob - we are doing WIWO and im only having to go in twice, he chats to his loveys a bit and then goes to sleep while im reading to DS1.  this has given me a 3/4 hr extra of evening to my self and its made such a huge difference to my outlook :)

i think hes only just become mature enough to be alone in his room and happy with it...or is it ive been holding out 'just in case'. he can cope for about 20 mins in the mornings before crying, maybe 20 more if DS1 climbs in with him and reads to him for a bit (cute!)

5.30 is still our usual wake time so im generally out of bed completely by 6.00, but i can live with that. (at least i can get a load of washing on the line before school run :) )

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2011, 17:11:48 pm »
I think when they are OT or sick it is always a good idea to let them catch up. You can always get back to the set WuU time if you want when she is caught up. And we always get more sleep after imms.

Offline lilly_kitt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2011, 19:01:30 pm »
Hi

Can I also join, Ty has never been a good sleeper.  I spent 3 nights sleep training him and he STTN for about 3 months.  Then he got ill, chnaged rooms in nursery and it all went mad.
At the moment he goes out like a light, then wakes anytime between 1.30 and 3.30. If he wakes at 1.30 then he wakes again about 5.  If he wakes at 3.30 then he's ok until 6.30 which is usual wake up time.  At the moment I think its due to his 2 year molars as his hands are constantly in his mouth so he has meds before he goes to bed.  When he wakes i've gotten into the habit of giving him whatever he has left from his nightime bottle (this can be as little as 2oz) as this is the only milk he has all day.  But if he wakes again at 5 he has a 4oz bottle.  I know i've made a rod for my back but until he's pain free I just cant see me sleep training him.  I work full-time and hubs works shifts so we're constantly knackered anyway.
Ty is 21 months old so has been going on for a long time, but 18 months was the regression  :-[

Sarah
x

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2011, 21:33:08 pm »
It's difficult not to get into bad habits when they're sick isn't it? I do think you just need to wean the NFs but as you say it's better to wait until he's through the teething.

Offline jazzaabe11

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2011, 19:37:09 pm »
Hi,
I'm a bit confused, need some basics!! Where do I find out what all the letters stand for??  GW, Wi Wo and APOP - what are these and how do I them?
My 22 month old daughter has been having Night wakings (NW!) for almost 6 months now.  She wakes up, cries and calls for a mummy cuddle (or daddy cuddle) - generally we go in, tell her to lie down, say "night night, bed time" and walk out, we don't pick her up at all.    She sometimes falls straight back asleep with that little input (not always though!!) but I'd really like to get to the stage where she doesn't even wake up, or if she does, she gets herself back to sleep without us needing to go in.  We have tried leaving her to see if she'll settle on her own but it just gets worse and then takes longer to settle (I don't want to leave her either) I followed all the BW tips so don't want to do controlled crying. 
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Sal x

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2011, 22:17:11 pm »
Hi Sal I'm on my phone so can't post the link but if you go to the welcome read here first section at the top of the home page there's a post explaining the abbreviations. On the days when it doesn't work to just go in and tell her to go back to sleep what do you do to get her back to sleep? Do you think her routine is appropriate? How long is her nap?

Offline jazzaabe11

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2011, 13:03:50 pm »
Hi Ali,
Thanks, I found the abbreviations page.. much easier now! On the days that it she doesn't go straight back to sleep, we just perservere.. keep going in and lying her down (or telling her to) and leaving her - if she's really unsettled we might stay in the room with her for a couple of minutes with a hand on her chest but she never falls asleep like that, we just wait til she's quiet and calm.. if she starts crying again we sometimes stand in the doorway and talk to her.. sometimes it takes a few times.  Her routine seems pretty good - she has 1 nap during the day, anytime from about 11ish to 1.30 to put her down and she'll sleep for up to 2 hours (not usually less that 1 hour).  Can get herself to sleep for naps and bedtime without too much difficulty.  I'm having more difficulty about whether to go in or to leave her.. when she was younger we used to leave her if she wasn't crying properly but now she can talk we seem to go in when she asks for us.. I think we've created a problem for ourselves as now, if we don't go in when she asks it ends up in real crying and taking much longer to settle (only tried it once!!)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2011, 18:48:32 pm »
Ok sounds similar to what we do when DS1 needs help settling a kind of walk in put down walk out. That shouldn't be encouraging her to wake. Just make sure you don't stay any longer than absolutely necessary to calm her. I fine it hard to know when to go in now too. I try to only go in if he's stood up. If he's lying down i leave him or just saw it's sleepy time now though the door if it sounds like he's getting upset. Seems like her nap time can vary a lot. Is that dependent on what time she wakes in the morning?

Offline jazzaabe11

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2011, 20:05:38 pm »
nap times don't seem to be affected by wake up time (usually about 6.30 to 7).  She does sometimes nap earlier or for longer if she's had a bad night though.. but then its not necessarily any better the following night.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2011, 01:29:52 am »
Hmm I'm wondering if she may be UT. What about trying to limit her nap to 1.5hrs and still with a set time for her nap as early as you can to give her a long A before bed. You'd need to stick with the routine for at least 3days to see if it worked. this doesn't sound like just the 18mo sleep regression since it's been going on so long. It may have started off as that and become habit now. So perhaps cut the resettling right back to wiwo where you do no more than reassure from the door with your voice. If these things don't work you may wish to post a new topic on toddler sleep board to get some more eyes on the issue for you. Good luck.