Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread  (Read 79912 times)

Offline lily528

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread
« Reply #405 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09:52 am »
Wow that's an ultra short nap. Wonder if there is some tweaking you can do to lengthen that.  IMO they are nowhere near ready to give up their naps. The average sleep time for most our lo's ages in this group is 13 hrs in 24 hrs. Mama C have you tried napping him earlier?  IMO those short naps are prob more in need of a schedule adjustment then being dropped. Question always is how and when ?  :/
<3 Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #406 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:13 am »
Melissa - Mama_C's little man is very low sleep needs ;)  He dropped to one nap at 8 months... if she lets him nap longer than that, he will have massive 3 hour long NW'ing with giggles and such ;) 

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2012, 16:21:38 pm »
Melissa - Mama_C's little man is very low sleep needs   He dropped to one nap at 8 months... if she lets him nap longer than that, he will have massive 3 hour long NW'ing with giggles and such

Does he give long nights?  I tried to look back on old posts to see...the last few posts show short nights as well...that has to be so hard.  with no nap what about pulling up the BT?  my apologies if I'm touching on something that has already been brought up...I don't always get a chance to read all posts in their entirety :/ was just trying to help...like to give back when I can :) though sometimes we are like the blind leading the blind right? lol
<3 Melissa

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #408 on: June 11, 2012, 18:06:17 pm »
Actually M almost never has short nights. He has always slept 12 hour nights up until lately, now he is doing 11hour nights. His nights only got shorter because his first A has gotten longer. He has been an extremely spirited/low sleep needs boy since birth.

If 13 hours is average then I would say he is basically right on track, he used to do 12hr nights and 45 min nap which is only 15min shy of 13 hours and now he is doing 11hour nights and 30-45 min nap so anywhere from 1hr15-1hr30 short of 13 hours. Which for him is much better than I would have expected at this age. I dont see him keeping the nap as long as most LO's his age. I am betting he is nap free by the time he is 2.

Anyway, so far all is well. The new schedule seems to be working perfectly. He has been sttn again, what a relief. And last night he fell asleep right at 8:pm and we woke him at 7:00 giving him an 11 hour night. I sort of jumped the gun today and put him down a little early, dont know what I was thinking, but for today he will get a 1hr nap. Just because I dont feel like waking him, lol. I feel lazy today. Every now and then its nice to have him sleep long enough for me to sit and relax a bit.

Claire.. I wanted to say, that M is the same way on no nap days, he does great until about 4-4:30 then he becomes clearly tired and gets grumpy. I think once he is able to last until 6:00 before getting really tired, thats when we will start dropping the nap... How did O do that night? Any NW's or an EW?

Kara.. you have a great memory, I cant believe you remember that M was 8 months when he dropped to 1 nap. .. Those were the days, 1 2hr long nap a day. I was so happy. Too bad it didnt last longer than 3 months, lol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 18:07:57 pm by Mama_C »

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #409 on: June 11, 2012, 18:58:53 pm »
Mama_C - O did great thanks, he STTN without a peep & woke at 6.55am this morning (12h 55 night).  He's only napped an hour at nursery today too so I'm hoping he'll pull a decent length night tonight too.

WRT M & what to do when he doesn't settle til 2pm, IIWM I would still allow him his usual hour & keep to his usual BT.  If he starts to resist BT because of the later nap, then & only then would I cap the nap further.  I did see a post somewhere saying once your LO can happily last beyond 3pm its probably better to just shoot for EBT.  But I think you are right, once you can see they can last the distance fine til 6pm ish then they are OK without the nap.

Melissa - how did your night go - hope she pulled a decent one?

Kara - you are not the only one to want an earlier schedule - I put this exact same thing on my thread yest lol!  Now Oliver is waking at 7.15pm & going to bed at 8pm, its an absolute pain in the a** on work days as there isn't enough time to get ready, and I don't like him going to bed so late!  So we are taking the opportunity after his no nap day & 2x 7am WU's to shift everything back a wee bit & are going to try & aim for 6.45/7am WU, 1pm nap, 7.30pm BT.

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #410 on: June 11, 2012, 19:06:35 pm »
Mama C as I said I was just looking back at the last few posts from you that showed shorter nights...to each their own...was just a theory

Clairebear- she did great thanks :)  She went right out at 8 pm last night and slept to nearly 7 this morning...(even with her 2 hr nap) So today I was hoping for much of the same :) She went right to sleep at 1pm and woke at 2:45 so 1 hr 45 min nap...I'll take it :) I'm hoping hoping hoping and praying praying praying this is something she will stick to.

hope your new schedule settles into place for you :)
<3 Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #411 on: June 11, 2012, 20:19:04 pm »
Kara.. you have a great memory, I cant believe you remember that M was 8 months when he dropped to 1 nap. .. Those were the days, 1 2hr long nap a day. I was so happy. Too bad it didnt last longer than 3 months, lol

Just don't ask me what I had for dinner last night ::)

Melissa - sounds like a great night after a 2 hr nap... maybe it's just been a blip the last week or two and Ava will get back on track now!  Fingers crossed for you!

Another morning just after 7am here after a 730pm BT.  But, I did discover a new tooth this morning (first canine is cut through)... so this could be some of my sleepyhead baby issue!  She was tired and putting her head on my shoulder at 11am today!  Yeesh... so we snuggled loads and she went down easily with a bit of snuggling at 1235pm.

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #412 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:01 am »
Kara it could just be a blip but she seems to do this every couple of weeks. So won't be getting my hopes up. Just enjoy it for now.
<3 Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #413 on: June 12, 2012, 03:10:50 am »
Just enjoy it for now

I am starting to say the same thing!  Sometimes I think I make myself crazy trying to figure out how to replicate a day after it goes really well ::)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #414 on: June 12, 2012, 19:59:29 pm »
How are we all today ladies?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #415 on: June 12, 2012, 21:48:09 pm »
Yesterday:

Wake 7am
Nap 1230-230 capped
BT 725pm

Today:

Wake 655am
Nap 110-250pm capped (she napped for 5 mins @11am in the car!  ARGH!)_
BT 720/730pm depending on how she is with the shorter nap

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #416 on: June 13, 2012, 00:19:09 am »
Kara. looks like A is doing better.

M is doing much better, we seem to be back to normal for now. I guess he just needed the extension in his morning A. He is sticking to..

Wake 7am
Nap 1:30-2:30 Sleeping 1:45-2:30
BT 7:30 sleeping at 8:00

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #417 on: June 13, 2012, 00:21:10 am »
last night asleep by 8pm last night and today

wu 7:10 am
nap 1-2:45 (1 hr45 mins woke on her own)
bt 8 pm but she wasn't too happy about it

...i worked today and picked her up rather late so we didn't get much time together so she cried for me when i put her down..i went in and sang a few songs and held her then put her back down...she is finally drifting off at 8:20 :/ hope this doesn't mess things up

how about you clairebear?
<3 Melissa

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2012, 11:13:00 am »
Kara - car naps always throw a spanner in the works don't they?!  Hope she settled ok at BT.

Mama_C - glad the later nap did the trick!

Melissa. Oh bless.  I still think she is telling you she is UT hun.  We have the same with O when he has a longer nap now - he needs a super long A time after it. If we PD at his usual 5hrs A he just isn't ready to go to sleep.  Hope you didn't get a short night. 

things are okish here.  We are capping at 1.5hrs but he isn't falling asleep right away at BT, and his nights are also shortening to around 10.75hrs again, 11hrs absolute max.  He's doing ok but he's starting to tire.  I think his nap needs to go even shorter now, perhaps to 1h 15 or just 1hr.  I detest waking him but its better than him being foul all day because his night was too short.

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2012, 13:25:00 pm »
She woke at 6:50 so 10.5 hrs not horrible. She doesn't normally play at BT. Thats very rare. Plus she had a 5 hr 20 min A to pd 5 hr 40 min A til she was asleep. I really think it was just bad timing with how late we got home. She always does better when she has more downtime before going to bed. Unfortunately we got home at 7:20. After not being Home all day she didn't have much time. I could be wrong but I guess we will see. As things progress. She has been yawning this morning so I'm hoping for a good nap and not OT.
<3 Melissa