Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread  (Read 79921 times)

Offline lily528

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread
« Reply #420 on: June 13, 2012, 19:14:13 pm »
Got a 1 hr 30 min nap today. They are getting shorter and shorter. After a 10.5 hr night I was hoping for longer. She had to go potty when she woke. We tried before I put her down but it was a no go. :/

Should I do a slightly earlier BT?

WU 6:50 am (10.5 hr night)
6hr A
Nap 1-2:30 (1.5 hr nap)
5.5 hr A to reg BT
BT usually 8 pm
<3 Melissa

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #421 on: June 13, 2012, 19:25:37 pm »
Melissa you may have to play it by ear & do BT somewhere inbetween 7.30-8pm.  I am finding now that if DS has done a 6hr A in the AM, he isn't tired enough for bed after just 5hrs A in the PM, and if he does by chance fall asleep, we are getting 10.75-11hr night.

I was thinking about you not nap capping versus me who do & maybe the way you need to look at it is this:  she sleeps for as long as she needs at naptime right?  so somedays she may need a long nap, some days she may only need a short one, some days she may not need a nap at all.  Some days she may sleep longer at night, some days she will sleep less.  But it all balances out overall.  If you let her take the lead your days are always likely to have some amount of variation.  Contrast this with me who caps O's nap.  His wakeup time is more stable.  He naps at the same time regardless of whether he's shown me he is tired b.c that's what he is used to doing.  And I wake him from naps to make sure he's ready for bed because I know if I don't then he is likely to do a shorter night.  But which LO is happier & better rested?  Probably yours.  B/c she is getting what sleep she needs rather than what sleep is permitted.  Perhaps the only thing you could do to improve your situation is to let her lead you as to when she wants to nap.  So maybe some days she won't nap, but perhaps the next day she will nap 2hrs & sleep fine at night.  I have a friend who's LO does this & I can never fathom how she falls asleep at 7pm when she's napped from 3-5pm, but I suppose its because she balances it all out & takes it when she needs it.  I am just too scared to do it with Oliver for fear he'll be up til 10pm!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #422 on: June 13, 2012, 20:37:45 pm »
Melissa you may have to play it by ear & do BT somewhere inbetween 7.30-8pm.  I am finding now that if DS has done a 6hr A in the AM, he isn't tired enough for bed after just 5hrs A in the PM, and if he does by chance fall asleep, we are getting 10.75-11hr night.
mmm I have been following along and Z has just stopped his lovely 12hr nights ;) We are having 11hr ones (if you take into account his chatting before sleeping then in the AM too)

I did EBT (just a touch) to confirm it wasnt OT - though I knew it wasnt ::) So given we are a bit like you and O Claire - in that I have to wake Z from his naps to get good nights, and our nights are good. Do you think I should cap that nap rather than push out the day? - I KNOW Z copes ok with a shorter nap now, but not so much with a loooonnng day or late BT :-\
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2012, 20:51:09 pm »
Sara what does his EASY look like right now & what was it before all went wonky ???

What we found worked best was to push the nap 30-45min later (so he was doing 6hrs in the AM & cap 15mins shorter (so 1h 45), keeping to the usual 5hrs A to BT.  We also accepted his nights were going to be shorter, & he napped 1h 45 in the day & slept 11h 15 at night so 13 in total, which is still pretty average. 

Before pushing the nap later we had tried capping the nap where it was but he still faffed around a lot at BT.  The longer morning seemed to help.  However, it did mean BT went a wee bit later.  If you don't want that to happen I would say keep the nap where it is but be prepared for it to go shorter sooner (b/c he will be UT at BT otherwise).  Its a bit of a balancing act at this age it seems!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #424 on: June 13, 2012, 20:56:52 pm »
We are finding that Alexandra is fine with 1 hr 45 mins for a few days, but then needs a 2 hr nap for a day to keep OT at bay... nights are totally stable though!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #425 on: June 13, 2012, 21:00:10 pm »
Before
WU 7
Nap 12.15/12.30 for 2hrs
BT 7/7.15

Then nap moved to 12.30/45 same deal ;) (On hol all over the place some naps as late as 2. He coped fine and STTN every night there)

Now he is waking at ~6.20 and chatting before his nap if I PD at 12.30 (usually out by 12.45) and chatting at BT (7.15) till closer to 7.30

Yesterday
WU 6.20 out of cot 7 (Happy to hang out)
Nap 12.30 - chatted till 12.45 woke at 2.30 (so capped really at 1.45)
BT 7.10  chatted till 7.30/35ish
STTN
WU 6.27 happy - out of cot at 7.

Thanks hun :-* - mmmm maybe I need the later nap and capped at 1.5 :-\ Im so scared of OT though
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #426 on: June 13, 2012, 21:02:07 pm »
I wouldn't cap that much Sara :)

Most days this is working for Alexandra:
Wake 7am
Nap 1245-230pm
BT 730pm (I put her down about 725 and she goes right to sleep) and STTN.

Every few days I can tell that she is getting a touch OT... so we have a 2 hr nap 1230-230pm.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #427 on: June 13, 2012, 21:11:49 pm »
hun why don't you leave things as they are for a while?  11hr night+2hr nap is still pretty good, yk?  You could probably hold off a while longer.  We only pushed things out once O wasn't falling asleep til nearer to 8 and/or waking nearer to 6am.  That said, it did make it more difficult to sort bc we then had EW meaning OT by naptime.  So I suppose if you want to act now before it gets out of hand it doesn't hurt.

Looking at your EASY I would say you could push nap to a 1pm start & leave at 2hrs to start with.  I really don't think he'd be ready for bed at 7/7.15pm though, I'd say he'd need 7.30 at the earliest, possibly nearer to 8pm.  That would still only get you an 11hr night though (aiming for a 7am WU again) so really you are no better off than where you are now, its just all 30mins later on the clock IYSWIM?

So maybe capping at 1h 45 is a good place to start?  do it by pushing out the start time of the nap so nap still ends at usual time & that way he should be more ready for bed at usual BT. That way you don't have to shift BT out as well.

At the end of the day its all trial & error until you find the right combo for him  Try not to be too afraid of OT - sometimes a wee bit is inevitable, but& we all know these days what we need to do to help them catch up again.  :-*

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #428 on: June 13, 2012, 22:14:55 pm »
But which LO is happier & better rested?  Probably yours.

Well we all do what works right?  she naps the same time every day too though...and her bed time is consistently 8pm...last night where she played a bit before drifting off doesn't happen often at all...her wake times are pretty consistent too for a while anyway lol I don't know if she ALWAYS gets the sleep she needs even though I don't wake her ever...sometimes her schedule isn't right and she doesn't get it cause she is OT or UT...It seems that she does really well for a while then it gets all wonky and then it gets back on track for awhile...etc...so I guess it could be because I don't cap and she doesn't always need the same amount of sleep every day but I suppose none of us do right? 

thank god for this site so we get to hear what everyone else does and take what works for us :)
<3 Melissa

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #429 on: June 13, 2012, 23:47:56 pm »
I have a friend who's LO does this & I can never fathom how she falls asleep at 7pm when she's napped from 3-5pm, but I suppose its because she balances it all out & takes it when she needs it.  I am just too scared to do it with Oliver for fear he'll be up til 10pm!
I KNOW M would be up till 10pm or later if he napped that late.

Sara.. Zacs schedule looks great. I wouldnt worry about him taking the extra time to fall asleep as long as he is still self settling. M takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes to go to sleep and I really dont see that I can change that unless I cap his nap REALLY short like 20-30 minutes.

BTW.. for those of you that know about M not talking, we finally got a word!! he now says CA for car and he understands what it is. :) Still no mama though :(

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #430 on: June 14, 2012, 00:11:00 am »
Go M :) one of Zs first words was also car ;)
Hey FWIW I dont get mama much, but DH gets lots of Dada...but hten I say daddy all the time, no one says mummy :(

Anyway thanks for the input ladies. Ill leave another week as you say Claire, its not bad really...I jsut get stressed that the 11hrs will suddenly hit 10...well YKWIM ;)
Kara I have really been doing 12.45-2.30 given if I PD at 12.30 he doest drift off till then anyway. So ill stick with it for now. I know I'm greedy, but not only do I like the evenings, but Z settles better with an earlier BT.

I also just noticed his last molar has finally cut...so that could have been causing a bit of discomfort...and messy nights.
***Sara***

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2012, 02:20:36 am »
So baby girl went right to sleep at 8pm   I'm noticing that she is crying out in her sleep :/ OT??? Ugh why can't I get this right??? I don't remember this with my son :/
<3 Melissa

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2012, 02:33:25 am »
I don't remember this with my son :/
hugs, they are all different hun :-*
If its ENW cry outs I would suspect OT, or discomfort. Any teeth coming?

so I guess it could be because I don't cap and she doesn't always need the same amount of sleep every day but I suppose none of us do right?
I cant remember who said this to me, but once Z was on 1 nap I was advised to take his weeks worth of sleep and look at it, rather than day to day because as you say, ust like us, they have some days/nights which may be a touch shorter than others ;)
***Sara***

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #433 on: June 14, 2012, 02:53:53 am »
What is ENW?  lol sorry don't know all the lingo   That's a good idea about looking at the the week. Just not sure I'll figure this one out. Part of me is ready to just go with the flow and. Stopping stressing over the numbers.
<3 Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #434 on: June 14, 2012, 03:20:23 am »
ENW = early night waking.  Anything before midnight generally signals OT :)

Melissa - I found that DD started sleeping better when I stopped stressing about 10-15 mins here and there... Like you said, we don't sleep the exact same amount every day, so why expect that of these little ones?? 

The only time I really change anything here is if she starts short napping, resisting sleep or doing short nights and being clearly tired still.