Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread  (Read 79328 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: August 07, 2010, 22:21:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

we are currently going through hell and back with sleep regression and canines cutting through so I thought it would be a great idea to have a support thread while we all go through this. Im in much need of some support with Caleb. I cry pretty much every day at the moment, my poor DH is really confused as well. We are having semi ok nights with a few NW's and EW's but its the naps that are messing up, we have nap refusal every single day, we may get 10mins in the car but thats it, as soon as the car stops he wakes up. We are doing Wi/Wo for about an hour each time before we generally ahve to get him up for lunch or dinner because thats how messed up our day is.
Nothing seems to be working, I cant APOP, I walked him in the stroller for an hour the other day and he just cried most of the way, hes exhausted! patting isnt working anymore and he wants that SO BAD. the other night we had two NW's that lasted two hours each and then he was up at 5.40am so a 9 hour night. we are medicating as much as we can for the canines but boy this is hellish!

If anyone has any info on what goes on developmentally at 18 months that would b helpful to know as well.

So hop on board and join the 18 month crazies express!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 19:27:54 pm by babybarr »

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 22:48:20 pm »
Hiya, can't stop too long just now but will be jumping aboard to join you! I've recently been posting about 18 month sleep regression as our sleep going all over the place, gradually getting worse over last couple of days, the NW & EW fun has begun, today we spotted the canines in the gums so bracing ourselves for the worst now ::)
Have read your posts about what you're going thru at the moment, big HUGS! I hope can be some support to you and others as we battle thru 18mo/canine stage, will be back again soon but for now I need to get a bit of sleep before tonights fun begins xx
Carrie

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:14:29 am »
welcome on board Caz2107 :)

at the moment we are 1 hour 40 mins into Wi/Wo for trying to get a nap. its just not happening... anyone else have this as well? how long would you expect Wi/Wo to take really??

Offline SpecialKiwi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:10:19 am »
Hiya.  Wow its great to know its not just me going through this, although my DD doesn't seem too bad when compared to how Caleb is.  Hopefully a bit of mutual support can help us get through this!  I'm just trying a new routine to up her sleep during the day as shes been getting OT on one nap, but these teeth are messing everything up.  I'm 5 months pregnant and work 4 days a week too so am shattered!! 

Sorry I can't help on how long to WI/WO for, we've only just started doing it ourselves.  Quick question though - what does APOP stand for? 

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:22:12 am »
Accident Parenting On Purpose ;)

well we stopped at 2.5 hours with Wi/Wo, problem is with a spirited boy it just doesnt seem to work anymore. Hes now been in bed asleep for the night since 4.45pm as we had NO nap resulting today

Offline twinmum1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:05:26 am »
Hi all, I am not sure if I should join this thread as I haven't got good news as DD's problems started when she was 18mo but she is now 19 mo and I have still not got to the bottom of her issues.  She has got all of her canines though so I am wondering if her molars are on the way, maybe just because I want there to be an answer. We have been having NWing and EWing for a few weeks now and DD is also taking ages to drop off at bedtime and for some naps. I am feeling tired but at least I am not pregnant like you SpecialKiwi so I shouldn't really complain.

Calebsmummy  - I am also not much help with WIWO as I can never do it for long with DD.  If she gets worked up it disturbs DS and then I have two screaming non-napping toddlers. I end up getting DD up if she cries loudly and trying to put her down again a few minutes later. You poor thing having all of that nap refusal going on and APOP not working either.  I would be going out of my mind.  I hope today is a better day for you.

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:17:49 am »
Calebsmummy - again not going to be much help with WI/WO as we've tried in the past but it just seems to get Dylan more irate! either that or he thinks its a game ::)  but well done you for sticking at it, you're obviously a lot stronger and a lot more patient than me!! I would have caved within the hour!
Just thinking aloud, do you think Caleb may have developed a little bit of cot adversion?

How does he seem when he is up and about, is he happy enough (albeit tired)?
Over past week we've had a few days of only 15/20 mins nap too, can't APOP him in car as will wake as soon as we move him, grrr, and even if he's only had a short sleep he won't sleep again no matter how many times we offer him the chance :o so on days like that i'm just going with it and putting him to bed earlier like you, (its bad but I just don't have the energy to fight him to try and get him to nap :-\) and he copes well with OT luckily plus it seems on the short nap days we'll get a 11.5/12 hr night out of him with the occassional NW of course ::) but seems to re-set him just enough to get him thru the next day x

SpecialKiwi - first, congrats on the pregnancy :) any chance you could post how you're adapting your routine please? would be interested to get some ideas x

twinmum1 - do you think your DD sleep needs have dropped a bit? maybe a little routine tweak would get rid of those horrible NW & EW x
Carrie

Offline SpecialKiwi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 18:19:49 pm »
Thanks caz2107. I've got another thread a little way down about whats going on with DD.  Shes nap transitioning as well as growing canines so we're having lots of OT fun, NWs, EWs etc.  I'm now switching her back to 2 naps a day, with a short 45min one at about 10am and a longer one in the afternoon at about 1.30/2pm, where I let her sleep for as long as she likes and she has averaged 1 1/2-2 hrs for the last three days (seems like soooo much when compared to you Calebsmummy!).  Shes been on this for 4 days, and we've had two good nights but still 5am wake ups (like this morning!) and one really bad night.  Shes back at daycare today (we're on NZ time) and she never sleeps as well there so things are bound to get a bit messed up again.  Ah well.

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 19:08:39 pm »
We had a horrible sleep regression that I posted about at 18 months (lasted 6-7 weeks in the end) - we do seem to be out the other side now though - still EW much more than before but that's it - A bit of hope for you guys? (I hope)

XXX

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 19:28:50 pm »
I've made this a sticky for you girls - so it's shot to the top of the page!!

Will be back to post later ;)
LAURA xx

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 12:20:21 pm »
Well I have no idea what I'm doing anymore! Its obvious today that OT has crept in, I've been trying shorter A times still but longest nap we've had is 1hr yesterday and thats the best in days and then he wakes up acting UT, can OT look like UT?  We're still getting couple of NWs in the night too :-\
I walked him in stroller for 1.5hr earlier as he looked so knackered but he wasn't having any of it, its like he's immune to APOP these days  :o  he's asleep now so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a looooong nap to catch him up but I know thats wishful thinking!

With the teething - do your LO's still like to have something to chew on? Dyl is chomping away on his fingers like a mad man, i have given him a variety of things to chomp on but he doesn't appear to be too keen on any of them, just wandering what you use if anything now they're older xx

How's it going for the rest of you lovely ladies? xx
Carrie

Offline SpecialKiwi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 19:19:01 pm »
Oh no caz2107, that sounds really confusing.  We've had not too bad a night here.  Daycare forgot to put her down early yesterday (grr) but she still had two naps from 10.50 for 45mins and then an hour from 3pm, so I'm not too concerned.  Gave her a slightly earlier bedtime at 6.30pm instead of 7, and only had to get up to her once to give her pamol at 1.30am, before being woken by her shrieking at 4am!  Not sure what was going on, but she nodded off again by 4.30am and slept till 5.30am, woohoo!  (how sad is it that I think 5.30am is a sleep in these days?!)

Shes a box of budgies this morning and doesn't look tired for a nice change.

DD has her fingers and her silkie/blankie to chomp on, she isn't really interested in any teething rusks or anything else for that matter either. 

How long did he end up napping for?

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 19:49:03 pm »
Amazingly we got a 2 hour nap  ;D we only ever usually get a 1.5 on a normal day so he must have really needed it, woke up really happy but then cried and got upset as soon as i took him out so not sure what the deal is with that  :-\ but on another plus side he was asleep tonight at about 7.15, yay, I'm hoping its the start of getting back on track but will put money on us all being up half the night! :P

Quote (selected)
how sad is it that I think 5.30am is a sleep in these days
  ;D
Carrie

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 21:54:31 pm »
i hear ya sisters! after a week of no naps we did manage to get a 50min morning nap yesterday (i had to pat him for the first 20 mins of it) and then a 25min carnpa in the evening with a 6.15pm bedtime, then we had about 4 wakings and one 4.10am waking that lasted 30mins with Wi/Wo, then he slept 20mins, woke up again, it took 15mins of walk in walk out again and he slept another 15mins and was up for the day at 5.35am :( what a night!

He also has some sort of tummy bug though so thats not helping things, weve had about 5 lots of explosive diarrhea since the 2.30am wakeup yesterday morning where it spread all through his PJ's and bed :(

Offline twinmum1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 22:07:19 pm »
Hi great news about the nap, Caz.  Let's hope you get a repeat performance tomorrow.  I am not sure if I need a routine tweak or not but I am experimenting with earlier naps and bedtime to see if it helps.  DD is a real creature of habit though and has decided right now that singing and chatting in her cot for ages is the way to go.  Is it OT or just having a nice time? I shouldn't grumble though because at least I can now leave her room without a meltdown, plus she had a good night last night.  I just woke repeatedly to check that she was asleep.  Why do we do that?  When teething DD chews on her lovies in her cot and otherwise anything she finds that she knows she shouldn't have, particularly pieces of rubbish she finds in the park, for example, an old pen today  ::)

Quote (selected)
she's a box of budgies this morning
Kiwi- I love that expression! It conjures up a great picture. It is wierd how sometimes LOs are so chirpy when you think they must be knackered. Here's hoping that you get a longer unbroken stretch of sleep tonight.

Calebsmummy - great news about finally getting some naps, what a relief! Perhaps you are turning the corner a little. You must be feeling wrecked after all those NWs though.  Poor little man with a tummy big too, just what you didn't need.  I hope it is only a 24hr bug.