Author Topic: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please Help  (Read 19717 times)

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Oh I am sorry to hear that Laura, I really thought you were going to get there. :(  If it were me I would now formulate a daily routine you can pretty much follow every day and stick with it, you may find after a week the naps lengthen due to "resetting" the body clock.  Perhaps go with am nap at 10am (within 15mins or so) and pm nap at 1.30pm and see what happens - I would def give it a shot on fixed times, I know that was really our saviour from the short nap monster in the end.
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Thanks I agree, it would be easier on me then trying to figure out A times I think I'll go with 10.30 and 2.30 and see how we go on. I'll let you know!!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Hi,
Good luck with the set nap times, I think it is the way to go.
I apologise if this has been asked before but is your lo teething and if so are you giving meds?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
We are onto the last of the four eye teeth. I do give Meds before naps, but it doesn't seem to help. I think he just can't stay asleep through sleep phases, hopefully one day he'll learn, because he is so grumpy  today after a 5.30am start and 2 30min naps. I know it sounds awful, but I can't wait till he is in bed lol x

Offline *Becky*

it never really helped my lo with naps either tbh and he suffered badly with teeth and had lots of the issues you describe on this thread. I did find nurofen before bed helped with his night sleep though. Hugs, I know how rough it is xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
thanks so much. Did your little one start sleeping longer or do you have any advice on how to cope? It would be nice to have some hope that things can improve. thanks Laura

Offline *Becky*

whenever he is teething he gets a runny nose, dark circles, wakes earlier in the morning crying and short naps. It has always been the way.
When he was on 2 naps to keep my sanity I would AP one of them so we would go in the car or the buggy for the first nap and then I would have him in his cot for the second. It helped us both to get out and about and it meant I only had one nap to focus on at home.
As soon as the teething stopped he did start sleeping better until the next time although tbh he was never a great napper until we went to one nap at 18 months and he did a good 5-6 months of 1.5-2 hour naps which was bliss.
I do understand, it is very hard. I never found meds helped that much for naps but as naps were/are his weak area they are always the first thing to fall apart!
Some lo's respond well to homeopathic remedies - have you tried some of them?
bx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
I haven't, but I will have a look for them, anythings worth a try! A lot of people seem to say things get better when you move to one nap, but I don't think I dare incase I end up with 1 20min nap. Laura x

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
I agree with pp Laura! Same here naps are the first things to fall apart! For us anyway.
We use homeopathic remedies here and I'm not sure if they work? But I use them anyway. If he's exceptionally irritable I offer pain meds on top
of gel and homeopathic remedies. This concoction helps but I only dose him up if he's poorly.
I think some LOs - like people feel pain more than others? I can't believe the poor devils teeth for soooo long!!! So unfair! I wonder if touchy babes have this in common?
*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
It would be great if these short naps are just caused by teething and when they are through we will get lovely long naps lol

Offline *Becky*

yup - mine is a touchy one.
keep the faith, I never ever ever thought we would get good naps but we did and it was so amazing. xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi all just an update. We have been doing the fixed naps for a few days and today we got a 50min morning nap!!! ;D Unfortunatly for his pm nap he slept 5mins! I guess he is doing the 2-1 himself! 11.30 until 6.30 is a really long A time so I will try and APOP a little nap if he'll let me. Laura x

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
Hopefully 50mins will extend for you really soon! It's still soucj better than 15-20 mins!
Brock has only been doing 50/60mins he's teething and a cold. We've been doing a 6.30pm BT, poor little man he's not happy right now! Suprised we had STTN last night! I expected an all nighter.
It's so true that when he's not well his nap is the first thing to go.
Hugs xxx

Henry1 wish there was a touchy toddler/preschooler
support thread. My DS he used to be so spirited but he's becoming more touchy every day!

*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Ahh poor brock, hope he's better soon. x x

Offline *Becky*

Alice - I know. They are hard work eh!
Mine has just started 2 mornings at nursery and is falling apart as he is tired when he gets home but it sends him into OS land and his naps are then rubbish and so it goes on. Touchies def do NOT sleep when they are tired! Hugs xx