Author Topic: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please Help  (Read 19709 times)

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please H
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 12:05:15 pm »
Hi there, I've been following but haven't posted - yet.
Just some ideas for you to think about...
DS sleeps well at night with no APOP right? Is he in a dark room during naps?
My DS will not and can not nap unless the room resembles night.
Also your WDR is it the same as night time WDR?
What do you fo if DS wakes of a night to settle him?
Now I'm only asking these Qs because my DS needs the same WDR for all sleeps and needs the same settling and resettling techniques too.  

Hugs sweetie, sounds really tough ATM xxx
*Alice*

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
How did it go today?
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi well thanks all for your answers. Yesterday was good we had that 30min first nap and then I didn't get your answer until after I'd put him down after 3hr 20 A time, but he slept right through for 1 hour which was amazing for him, but this still only took him until 1.50pm so we did a 6.30 bed time, but unfortunatley we had a terrible night which is so unlike him he was up off and on from 10.40pm until 2.30am, he only needed a cuddle and then went straight back off, but woke again after 20mins. I am praying it was a one off due to the cold. So far today I did a 3hr A time since his night was so bad and got a 45min nap so not to bad.
To answer your questions we do things a bit different in the day than at night. Naps aren't as dark although we have tried that a few times and it didn't make any difference also at night time it is bath bottle prayers then bed. at nap time we watch cbeebies have nursery rhymes and then I stroke his head a bit then leave. Thanks so much all for your advice Love Laura

Offline babybarr

Great news on the longer nap.  I do reckon the NWs from discomfort with a cold.  Let me know how you go today.

You could *try* no TV before naps and see if that helps - anything's worth a shot right!

Laura xx
LAURA xx

I was going to say besides the bath could you try and mimic BT rituals? I think trying a dark room may help? I agree no TV maybe books instead? BW recommends that you need to “set the scene” and try and make it as comfortable and welcoming as possible for them to sleep and want to sleep. YK? Do you have BWSAYP?
Does he take a bottle before nap times?
Just asking B/C my Ds has 3 bottles, one when he wakes in the am, the second after his lunch and immediately before his nap, the last after dinner and immediately before BT. I find these 2 bottles (before sleep) seem to settle him in to a calmer state and if he is actually still hungry he has the opportunity to fill up... Just a few ideas and thoughts running through my mind.
Hope the cold goes away fast, it's awful when they are unwell.
*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Thank you so much for all your advice. My laptop is broken so won't be able to get on as often now which is gutting. Things are changing a bit I think Ethan hasn't cried before naps for a bit so that is great and he is waking happier and will lay in his cot chatting for a while which is good, yesterday we had 1 40min nap and then a 25min nap and today so far we have had 2 30 min naps so I will try for a 3rd. I think I will just have to take each day as it comes and try not to panic that he isn't sleeping enough, because it really gets me down if I focus on it. I hope one day he will start taking long naps, but i can't make him sleep and I want to enjoy him even if he is grumpy quite often. Thanks all. Love Laura

Offline babybarr

What was the A time before you got the 40min nap?  i do think you can get there - it *is* frustrating but worth playing around with it for a bit.  ((hugs))
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi it was 3hr 20. While I was writing last post Ethan fell back to sleep so we are going for a 1hr plus Nap !!!

Offline babybarr

WOW!!  That's really great news.  I would push that A time a bit more in the morning.  What we do is tired signs plus about 10mins - just to make sure he is really tired
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi I had to wake him after 2hrs!! to get my eldest from school. I even managed to get my house clean !!

Offline babybarr

Now just correct me if I'm wrong but this is the boy that has been doing 20/25/30min naps yes?  Then this is all I have to say  :o  :o  :o

So His nap this morning was 40mins after a 3hr 20min A time - his nap this afternoon was 2hrs after what A time?  You may have just found the magic number!  I am really pleased for you.   :D
LAURA xx

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
YAY!  what a GREAT update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i agree with Laura, looks like you found the magic number there!

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
It was 3hr 30 A time I hope we've cracked it!! He did wake in 30min intervals, but he put himself back to sleep, each time I heard him on the monitor I peeked around the door and he was just playing with his ear and then went back to sleep, and to think earlier today I was giving up. Thanks so much I will let you know how we get on tomorrow. Love Laura

Offline babybarr

Keep at it hun, you now know he can do it and there is hope! :)
LAURA xx

Great News! xxx
*Alice*