Author Topic: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please Help  (Read 19712 times)

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi ladies I am so happy! I went for 3hr 20 A time and Ethan is still asleep 1hr 15mins later!!!!! I don't know what to do with myself. He didn't cry at all. Just a few questions after a year of short naps I have no idea how long to let him sleep or what A times I should do now he's better rested. Should I be doing one short nap and one long one or should I let him sleep as long as he likes. Thanks ladies I hope this lasts!

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
See it was just a case of finding that magic number lol!  Today I would let him sleep what he wants.  If he does a good nap I'd aim for the same A time after.  Keep us posted.  If the naps start to intefere with night sleep then we can cut the first nap but leave the second one as long as poss but let's just see how he goes first. ;)

LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi well things are still going good today went like this
7am wake
Nap 10.30 (40min)
Nap 2.30 (1hr)
Bed 6.45pm as he was really cranky.
I keep pinching myself with these good naps its great! He still wakes at the 20 or 30min mark, but seems content to lie there until he goes back to sleep. Thanks all for your advice love Laura

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
Great news Laura! so happy for you! Re your the prevous post, i agree with PP, also he may need to catch up and need some recovey sleep so let him go for it and see how he goes during the 2nd A time. If you do get a second nap in the only thing "I" would do would not to let him go too long before BT...
Well done girl! you guys have come a long way from your initial post!
HUGS xx
*Alice*

Offline babybarr

I would just watch that middle A time.  After a 40min nap (or anything less than an hour) I think I would be inclined to just do a slightly shorter A time than the 3hrs 20mins.  This A time seems to work well when he's had a good nap so *try* to just bear that in mind ;)

I am SO pleased for you though.  ((((hugs)))) and well done !
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi all. Just an update, Ethan actually smiled when I put him down for his nap today, it was so cute I just lay him down he smiled at me, rolled over and went off to sleep!! He is still doing great the first nap tends to still be short which I don't mind, because it means I can be out the house some of the morning and then he has been having at least an hour and 15mins in the afternoon and we are gettin 11.5-12hr nights I feel so blessed after all this time of tiny naps. Thanks Ladies

Offline babybarr

In a way the first nap being a bit short is fine cos that's what'll happen when he starts the 2-1 so at least you are on the right track.

It sounds like things are going really well, I'm pleased you didn't give up ;)
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Well we are back we have had a lovely couple of weeks of lovely peaceful, long naps, but just when I was putting the stress of the short naps behind me they are back and so is the screaming even though I have been sticking to the same routine of first A time 3hr 20min. Second A time 3hr30min and around 3.5 to 4hrs last A time. Nights are still good around 11.5hrs straight through. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

Is the screaming before the naps?  My betting is that now she is more rested she needs those A times pushing a bit more.  So why not try 3.5hrs first A time and 3.75hrs second A time.
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
The screaming is mostly when he wakes, it took me 20mins to calm him down this afternoon, but I will give it a go. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

Teeth coming perhaps?  The screaming after naps would suggest OT but I think try the stretching first and just see what happens.

(oh and sorry I just reread my post and see I called him "she" very slack of me - need to watch those typos!!)
LAURA xx

I agree with Laura! Teeth!
Also with B he will scream with OT. OS also play a roll with B and his screaming episodes - rarely he's affected by OS (not sure why) but if there was a function on or several visitors at once or too much noise and activity from our business (we run an Earthmoving co from home) I can almost guarantee a wake up 40mins after he is put down for a sleep.
Those are my suggestions, also I’ve heard and experienced after sleep training and in general they can regress sometimes then they get over the bump.
Hugs sweetie xxx
HTH
*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Thanks for your answers. Ethan is teething his eye teeth I think, so it could be that although pain meds don't seem to help, I don't know whats changed when he was sleeping well he did wake at 20 or 30mins, but he woke peacefully and just went back to sleep, but now he wakes in a complete panic, its so strange. Thanks Laura

Oh poor little man, does sound like teeth. Pain meds help but only so much YK? My DS had a horrible time with molars recently, I'm sure the gel and meds and remidies helped but he was really struggling.
*Alice*

Offline babybarr

Eye teeth are HORRIBLE!!!  I would give both paracetamol and ibuprofen 30mins before naps and see if that helps.

Did you try pushing the A time a bit?
LAURA xx