Author Topic: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please Help  (Read 19722 times)

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi thanks for getting back to me. He naps mostly in the cot unless we have to go somewhere. This morning by 8.15am he was so tired he had a 20min sleep in his pushchair while going to school so the whole day is thrown off now. Ethan is still teething those eye teeth I can see the top 2 but they haven't broke through yet, pain meds don't seem to help much though. He is also learning to walk so maybe that is something to do with it aswell. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Ok after a 20min nap I would do no more than 2.5hrs A time before 2nd nap and let me know what happens.

The eye teeth really are the pits!
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Well by the time he got to sleep he had a 3hr 40A time too long I know, but then he had a 40min nap, the problem I have now is do I keep him up now till bedtime (he woke at 1.15pm) or APOP a short nap at about 4pm and then have a later bed time. I'm not a fan of early bedtime as then we get EW. What do you think?

Offline babybarr

Sorry not sure of your location so don't know if this is too late. If you can try and AP an extra nap.  If it's too late already - what did you do?

Interestingly he did a longer nap on a longer A time.

If he sleeps well tonight - i.e. 11.5hrs or more straight through I would def try a 3.75hr A time in the morning.

Keep me posted. :)
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Well we managed to get a 20min nap at 4.15pm in the pushchair so that was good, and he still went down fine at 7pm. He woke at 6.15am this morning so that wasn't bad. I,m in Notts. England. I will keep him up as long as possible this morning and see what happens. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

Good luck!  At least knowing you're in UK means I can *try* and give you suggestions at the "correct" time lol!
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi well yesterday was horrid!! We did a 3hr 30A time first nap and got 30mins I did 20min WIWO without success, then I thought like the day before I would do a 3hr 40A so I put him in his cot after 3hrs 30min and then he cried and kept standing up so I had to do 20mins WIWO to get him to sleep and then we only got 18min nap followed by the usual screaming and 20mins to calm him down. So 40mins crying for 18mins nap. I  tried to APOP a 3rd nap, but he wouldn't have it and I couldn't do an early bedtime as my older son had youth group so I had a very OT little boy and now this morning I heard him at 5.45am although I ignored him until 6.30am and because of appointments I can only do 2naps today so I'm praying at least 1 is long any ideas anyone. Its the crying before naps that really upsets me I was only saying in the morning that at least he goes to sleep happy now and then right away he starts crying for his second nap!! Thanks ladies its so good to be able to share. Laura

Offline babybarr

How long did he sleep last night in the end?

I assume you have probably done the first nap already?  I'm really starting to wonder now whether the screaming before naps is UT. 

So I would do the first nap after 4hrs of A time and see what happens.  Make sure after the first nap if it was short you keep that second A time really short.  So I would work on 3hrs A time on a 30min nap and 2.5hrs A time on anything less.  Also given you know his eyeteeth are cutting I would give calpol and nurofen at least 30mins before nap.
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi Ethan had 11hrs night sleep and I did 4hr A time because he showed sleepy signs after 2hrs, but then got a second wind, he went straight to sleep and did 30mins I did 15mins WIWO without him going back to sleep. So I will aim for a 3hr A time and see how we go

Offline babybarr

The going straight to sleep would therefore agree with the point about being UT at that first nap, tomorrow (provided you get an 11hr night or more) I would try that first A time of 4hrs 15mins.  I know it seems like he has really jumped but they do!

Fingers crossed for a better second nap.
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
No we still only got 25min nap this afternoon so its going to be a long time till bedtime. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

Sorry to hear that.  Try tomorrow doing that longer A time in the morning and I *wonder* if he sleeps well if we should try putting him on one nap and see what happens :-\

Maybe see if you can get another 30mins into him at some point?  If not do super early bed - as early as you think is needed.
LAURA xx

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
Laura how old is DS? You say he's 1, but how old in months?
I took B to the dr to get him checked over abd he offered some good info re age and sleep issues etc
*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi he is 14.5 months old. I took him to the doctors last week and she said the usual all babies are different and if he needed to sleep he would sleep. I can't figure him out he had 11.5hrs sleep last night waking at 6.00am and by 7.30am he was yawning and rubbing his eyes and now he is so cranky he just wants carrying all the time. Could it be that he needs a super short A time. I feel so down I had to get dressed this morning with him hanging onto my legs screaming to be picked up. I feel like a terrible mother, because he never seems happy anymore. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

((hugs)) Hun

Why don't you tomorrow *try* putting him down 15mins after you see him looking tired - I only say wait 15mins to ensure he is really tired and just see what happens.
LAURA xx