Author Topic: Vomiting dramas with finger food (and food in general)  (Read 2365 times)

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
Vomiting dramas with finger food (and food in general)
« on: December 13, 2010, 22:50:21 pm »
I am so tired of cleaning up vomit after practically every meal! DS is allergic to milk, wheat and a few variety of nuts, and our dietician doesn't recommend we give him fish or eggs. So he eats the same food all the time (I do mix different vege in with his 2 styles of mince. The problem I have is that he throws up all the time, especially with finger food. I took him to a pedi at our public hospital regarding the vomiting, and she didn't seem too concerned about it bc he is putting on weight (albeit slowly) ???. He is only on the 3rd percentile for his weight (World Health Org stats) so he can't afford to lose weight. We have been trialling losec since late Oct but it doesn't seem to help that much. I asked the pedi why she thinks he is throwing up and she said it is reflux, and she also said that some babies are just difficult feeders and to stick at it >:(. The dietician we see has been making me feel really bad about not giving DS a variety of finger food, and regardless of how much I explain about the vomiting she says to stick at it, and suggested a muslin feeder. I've tried that, and DS doesn't have a clue what to do with it - actually he doesn't have a clue what to do with a lot of things I put in front of him to eat i.e. toast (he pokes it a few times and then throws it on the floor and this went on for a week before I gave up). How important is it to give finger food? I really can't see much point in giving it when DS vomits afterwards because he can't manage it anyway, and then he is upset for having emptied his stomach, and then I have to clean him, comfort him, and then clean everything else the vomit has landed on. I feel sorry for his caregivers at daycare because they pretty much have to manage this too. Foods I have given hm:
blueberries, grapes (cut into pieces), steamed carrot sticks, ripe mango, banana, peaches, strawberries, gluten and dairy free chocolate cookies, rice toast with jam, steamed peas, steamed broccoli. He can't manage any of this! He can however sometimes manage oat crackers (they disintegrate easily) but even then he kind of gags on it. I don't know what else to do or try? I've got an appnt this afternoon with the allergist and then the dietician and honestly if she doesn't have any practical advise for me on how to manage this I will unleash...I am totally over it.

Oh my, I do apologise for the rant. Any BTDT mothers have any advise for me please?

~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Vomiting dramas with finger food (and food in general)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 00:19:30 am »
Hi,

Well, I haven't exactly BTDT, but Spencer was always a gagger of finger food, esp. fruits and anything chunky. She was on purees for a long time.  She would always stuff her mouth full and then try to swallow without chewing, and she had enlarged tonsils which made for no room (they are out now - what a difference!)  She also has sensory issues with the feel of particular foods (she has only ever licked a carrot stick - but will eat the frozen cubed kind!)  I would keep trying the Dr and allergist until someone listens, and rant away!

Heidi
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 14:05:40 pm »
Have you tried potato wedges?  Sweet potato, white potato?  What about avocado mashed up and spread on some bits of toast cut up very tiny?  Squash, cucumber slices?

((((hugs))))). That is frustrating, especially getting the blanket "some kids just aren't good eaters" line.  They said the same about DD2 in regards to vomit....some kids are just spitty babies....which is true....but with her other issues it was a cop out response. 

Could any of the other foods be bothering him?? 

Perhaps check out Eloys's thread and see if any of that rings true for you and your LO?  There is a ton of great info.  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=175107.0

My nephew didn't start finger foods until well over a year old, he just gagged on everything.....he is almost 2 now and after slow going is right where he should be.  Don't feel guilty, you are doing the best you can and your LO is so lucky that your his mama and looking out for him

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 20:43:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

She would always stuff her mouth full and then try to swallow without chewing, and she had enlarged tonsils which made for no room
Yes DS stuffs everything into his mouth too if I let him, so I limit what I put in front of him. He also has inflamed tonsils and has had tonsillitis twice. Dr says that if he continues to get tonsillitis then we should think about removal.  Oh yes, fruit seems to be really tough for DS to manage.

I'll give potato wedges a go, although I have tried him on sweet potato and white potato and he didn't like it, pos bc of the consistency. But perhaps if I bake the wedges until crispy that might be different. I'll try the avocado on tiny bits of toast.
That is frustrating, especially getting the blanket "some kids just aren't good eaters" line.  They said the same about DD2 in regards to vomit....some kids are just spitty babies....which is true....but with her other issues it was a cop out response. 
I feel like they think it isn't serious enough to do any further tests so they just try to alleviate my myriad of questions by giving that standard response. I suppose when they are dealing with kids that are actually dying etc our vomiting child is low on the list of things to be worried about.

I'll check out that thread - wow it is long. Look forward to absorbing the info.
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com