Author Topic: Losing hope - can't get rid of mucous poops - should I add food anyways?  (Read 11436 times)

Offline sherry lynn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 127
Re: Losing hope - can't get rid of mucous poops - should I add food anyways?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 14:35:09 pm »
Hmmm... Shannon. I hadn't thought about this, but Emory's cheeks are not smooth :(  We went through phases of this with Lyle as well.

*hugs* I hope things look up for you soon. You sure are working hard.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 16:50:03 pm »
Cheers, Sherry. S gets rough cheeks and/or full on bumpy eczema from two sources. Food I eat or direct skin contact with problem fabrics (I was everything in hypoallergenic stuff for the whole family). The latter goes away much quicker.

Perhaps our little ones will be extra-ordinary in some fantastic ways... maybe the work that usually goes into making digestive systems went to their creative brains!?

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 17:39:08 pm »
I also use hypoallergenic with most everything. But, as Jean said on a different post a lot of that stuff has high sals. so I wonder if that is what is doing it. I thought it was just from wiping his face so much from messy eating and spit up, etc.

Oh, also I do know he is sensitive to gluten and/or wheat. But, pain wise he has been free from this. So my doc said if he's pain free then not to worry about it. However, I have DRASTICLY cut down on my gluten intake and that did seem to make a difference on the poos, but I never thought about the cheeks.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:50 am »
DH threatened to force me to eat a steak tonight at a golf clubhouse. I guess I'm getting rather weak and weepy? Anyways, we compromised, I bought some 'free-from' multivitamins, new acidophilus, and some bison meat. I'll try the latter tomorrow.

No more blood, but still have mucuous. Today was a better sleep day than the weekend so I'm still hoping that the sal levels are decreasing and he's not quite clear of it all yet. My BFF reminded me tonight that I can't have baby at 100% and mommy at 10%...

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 17:39:05 pm »
So true. You do have to take care of yourself. Who know that would be the most difficult part of being a mother.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 23:25:19 pm »
the doc told me yesterday that excess acid will cause some mucus to be excreted, it doesn't always have to be due to a food not agreeing.  I think that's what we are seeing in teh alst few weeks as it always coincied with a refluxy day.  Anyway, food challanges due to start, in a week, we will see! triple yay.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 03:04:55 am »
Had a very rough afternoon here (the new vitamins?? supposed to be safe) so I didn't try the bison afterall. Interesting about acid. SIL suggested hormones might be our problem as S gets teenage-like pimples (and I had m/s the whole pregnancy).

My hair is falling out like mad. Perhaps the anemia is worse than I thought...

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 14:28:58 pm »
Keep your chin up Gypsymom! Will have a think abou tother iron sources that may be ok for you. Sorry about the brief message but I'm meant to be working and just wanted to check in and see how you were doing. Thinking of you.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 14:35:39 pm »
hugs luv  :-*

what country are you in?

my hair starting fallaing out at 4 months....  same for Ds1. Its normal, pretty darn sure.

Just remember, withdrawls, withdrawls,  breathe.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 15:52:23 pm »
Just a quick note:

I started my elimination diet after E was diagnosed as failure to thrive and it took a full 3 weeks for her to stop losing weight and start gaining well. I travelled for a week after that and gain was only 2oz in a week. I'm completely back on it and it's taken a week but she's back to gaining well.

My Lactation Consultant told me 7-10 days for dairy out of your system, and then 7-10 out of your lo's. So 3 weeks makes sense then.

And yes, dairy is in everything. I looked at hot dogs the other day and found it as the SECOND ingredient! My friend informed me that salt and vinegar chips do too.

You do need to eat more, and believe me I know the fear that comes with that. Is your lo getting weighed? What are you eating on your rice? And have you tried changing your rice brand? I lost the link but I did read that anything in Canada with less than .5% of any ingredient can say free of it. Ie. less than .5% dairy - they don't even have to mention it! The other thing that stands out is your tea - is there colour added to it? Here caramel colour (which isn't always listed as an ingredient) is derived from dairy. I'll try to find that link because it was very helpful.

Here's another one that I use faithfully:

http://food-allergies.suite101.com/article.cfm/milk_ingredients_on_food_labels

Best of luck :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 17:56:09 pm »
Thanks, Vicki! Hugs for you too.

I'm in Canada (does that show on my sidebar?).

I already went through what I thought was the 'normal' postpartum hair loss about a month ago. So this is a surprise. However, when I picked S up this morning, there was a huge patch of hair on his sheet too so maybe my hormones are changing??

Wanted to share this (gross!) photo with y'all. Still slimy, but dare I believe it might be seeds???

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 19:15:11 pm »
I can't see your sidebar with my blackberry or anyone's avitars :(
If I recall correctly, you live out west - BC or Alberta? The Superstore has been a Godsend for food alternatives in their natural foods section.
Yay if it's seeds though! That should mean that things are working out of your and your lo's system :D. I found once that happened, it's normally easy to track if you have a flare up.
Re hair loss: my twins lost their hair twice well after they were on formula. (Within 2 days of each other both times too :o. ), and E has just lost her hair for the second time too around the same age and she is pretty well EBF (I don't count 2oz of formula for much). My mother told me that I also lost my hair twice around the same age, so genetics may be playing a large role in that. My hair is also falling out to the point I'm worried about balding lol, and it started right around the time I got my period back at 8 weeks. I'd say most likely hormonal too.
Isn't it funny when you get excited about a poo? :D
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 12:49:32 pm »
You do need to eat more, and believe me I know the fear that comes with that. Is your lo getting weighed? What are you eating on your rice? And have you tried changing your rice brand?

S got weighed last week and he's put on a pound in about six weeks, so about 75g per week I guess, which is not too bad. I'm not weighing myself but I think I'd guess I've lost about 6lbs in that same period.  I put sunflower oil on my rice and sea salt. I did try Ryza as well for rice milk but the health food staff have a lot more confidence in Rice Dream. Have used more than one brand of rice (not really on purpose) without much effect although have recently learned that basmati and jasmine rice are not allowed on the Fed up diet (I haven't been having those kinds though).

Moan, moan, moan. Doing the 5am feed and feeling so hungry and sad. I've been on this extreme ED since July 30 (a whole month!) and even further reduced based on suggestions to reduce salicyclates the last 10 days. He is good, but the poops are still mucuousy. I *really* want to BF longterm, but this is off the hook. I have not cheated even once (although did have a few small accidental dairy slipups) but I don't know how much longer I can handle this. I was going to try a plain peeled potato today but then S had a super fluxxy day for no reason I could tell so I didn't.

I am dreaming about food again. Sigh. But he is doing so well (despite not getting rid of the mucuous) that I can't give up.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 20:53:49 pm »
Don't give up Shannon!  You are going to be adding new foods soon and then everytyhing will look better!   jujst keep adding the new foods!    I too am spooo daunted about being on this diet long term.  But feeling better now that I know he culd handle some high sals for a day or too without becoming a "crazy baby".     Just get as many "lows" into your diet as you can and fast  :P

The poo looks great!  ;D  I love the seeds,  however is the jelly bits mucus, or is it just the normal stuff?   I truly can't tell from the photo.

I have no written info on mucus poo for your Dr by the way.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 04:19:41 am »
You are going to be adding new foods soon and then everytyhing will look better!
Sigh. It sure doesn't feel like it. Last night I tried a plain, peeled russet potato. Today I got 3 icky poops between 5am and 11am. Morning nap was okay, but then he woke from his pm nap only an hour into it, screaming. I could not even console him, let alone resettle although he seemed not too bad when I took him out into the living room and then he sat in the swing. Over the course of the afternoon and eve, his eczema began to flare. It's not too bad and even though he has been squirmy/gassy this eve (had to break down and comfort feed) I think the reaction is winding down. Allergic to potato seems so unlikely... and the worst part is, I confounded my own results! Yesterday at noon I was running low on rice so I beefed up what I had by putting it in a rice wrap - I thought it would be safe since tapioca flour was the only other unusual ingredient. When I went back to double check the label, I discovered it was made in a facility that also uses tree nuts. It is so hard to believe that such tiny amounts, further diluted in the breastmilk can make a difference!!

Anyways, I guess we could take a poll: was it the potato, the tapioca, or the trace nuts?

I guess I'll roll back to my mini list for a few days and then re-trial the potato. Or maybe I should try something else. I bought some quinoa and some puffed millet today at the health foods shop. Also found some protein powder made from rice protein exclusively so I'd like to start making shakes with that (and rice milk).

The poo looks great!  Grin  I love the seeds,  however is the jelly bits mucus, or is it just the normal stuff?   I truly can't tell from the photo.
It is mucous, unfortunately. I haven't had another nice diaper like it in almost a week though - ruddy trials! My BFF is reading me the riot act about my ridiculously small number of foods. But I just want a happy, healthy babe (but he's my second and last and I don't want to give up BFing!).

Vicki, you are right about Superstore's natural foods section - very well stocked and much cheaper than the health boutiques. I'm an hour away from one but can't manage to go very often so am paying higher prices. If only my diet were broader, I could take advantage of some of their nice alternative foods. I do buy the rice pasta which is such a different texture from the rice noodles (Asian). Are you cooking separate meals for the girls?